Unusual Aerotech Motor

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hospital_Rocket

Reaction score
Anybody ever seen an AT E25 SU? I picked up 2 in a yard sale and can find nothing on them. No motor data, nada...

It is an 18mm SU.

A

An 18mm E motor! Way way cool!:D

And at a yard sale!!! Even cooler!

They are just an older produced motor
they actually tested around 22 N-sec ,so they are more like a D with a kick.

Originally posted by Hospital_Rocket
Anybody ever seen an AT E25 SU? I picked up 2 in a yard sale and can find nothing on them. No motor data, nada...

It is an 18mm SU.

A

Here's the NAR data sheet on it.

Originally posted by stymye
They are just an older produced motor
they actually tested around 22 N-sec ,so they are more like a D with a kick.

That's correct.

The E25 was the maximum propellant that could be loaded into a standard 18mm x 70mm case and still have room for a delay and ejection charge.

The E45 was an 18mm diameter motor that was designed to be a full E motor (40 N-sec). It was nearly 4" long.

The E25 was never a popular motor and I think it was dropped in 1993.

I got an E25-4 from a British flyer who had got some by personal import several years ago but left the hobby and sold up.

I flew it in a Quest UFO (flying saucer) in 2000, it was a drag race with either Hokky or one of his lads - bit of a cheat really - against a C6

I won the drag race in spectacular style but the heat melted the top of the UFO and the casing is still stuck there. it was worth it though :D

I had thought of putting it in my Moondog (converted to 18mm) which would have suffered the same fate, being plastic.

I found 2 of these E25s at a hobby shop today.

With all the fuss being made over the impending Quest 18mm D's it's hard to understand why these 18mm E's weren't big sellers.

Also picked up 3 24mm D30s. Two of them are D30-10s. I'm having trouble imagining what I'll use those in. :confused:

There's still an unburnt E25T in our motor box. :) Burned the other one a few years ago.

I loved putting those things in Estes kits, just to test glue joints. Never got to try the E45 or the F55. But I did once try a 24mm E50 purchased from Model Aviation Fuels. THAT was a cool little motor.

BINGO:

Buyers for hobby shops of chains of hobby shops buy an equal number of all types of a motor. "WE" would say equal types of all delay times, but these guys do not know the number on the end is a delay time or even what a "delay time" is. Heck, they may (like the average consumer) think the bigger number on the end means it's more powerful.

Anyway, the motors with the longest delay time tend to sit on the shelf forever. If the other motors sell, they may re-order an equal number of all of them again (but not if their computer system is "smart") Then the buyer sees that they have an ever growing number of motors that do not sell and they may decide to drop the entire line of special and expensive motors.

I hope that Quest actively pushes a more sane mix of delay times to the hobby retailers and educates the sales force.

Originally posted by Gus
I found 2 of these E25s at a hobby shop today.

With all the fuss being made over the impending Quest 18mm D's it's hard to understand why these 18mm E's weren't big sellers.

Also picked up 3 24mm D30s. Two of them are D30-10s. I'm having trouble imagining what I'll use those in. :confused:

Back