Unstable Quinstar?? How????

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

les

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Built my Quinstar. Brushed on some calligraphy ink before gluing together. Left out the motor mount so I could fly on a D12-0
No issues with the build - no pieces in backwards

IMG_0824.jpg

5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1 launch

That thing spiraled and pin wheeled. Hit the ground under power and completely sheared one spoke off.

No way to add nose weight?
Vectored thrust? Don't really see it in the picture.

Quinstar.jpg

Did it leave the rod smoothly or did it look like it may have hung up for a brief moment.

John Boren

Cone shaped rockets (and yes saucers and things like that are just squashed cones) need the CG to be in the front 1/3 of the height of the rocket. Looks like the D12 in the photo is sticking out pretty far to the rear.
I would try and get some clay (or better yet some lead shot) up under the inside top plates if you are going to fly it modified like you did.

kj

Cone shaped rockets (and yes saucers and things like that are just squashed cones) need the CG to be in the front 1/3 of the height of the rocket.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe that to be true. A saucer like this (which is not shaped like squashed cone) is getting its stability from base drag, which puts the effective CP way out behind it once it gets even a little speed going. CG almost anywhere should keep it stable. Further, the way the motor is mounted on this thing (hanging out the back) I doubt it is possible the get the CG in the forward 1/3 without resorting to crazy means.

Looks like the D12 in the photo is sticking out pretty far to the rear.

That's pretty much what mine looked like I think, also with a D12, and it flew perfectly. When I had a C6 stuck into an old D casing, it was hanging even further out the back.

Never built one, so I dunno. But looking at the first picture, it sure looks like s squashed cone to me. Maybe with some chunks taken out, but close enough to other saucers I've flown for the same general rules to apply.

kj

The static CP is 1/3 of the way up from the bottom for cones and pyramids. That does not figure in base drag. Art Applewhite reportedly had some of his delta saucers wind tunnel tested and that showed the CP was below the base. That being said, I have never assessed the CP/CG for any saucers that I've built, but I have followed the 1/3 rule for my cones and pyramids.

The Qunistar spins, right? One might think spinny things always are more stable. This is not always the case. Could it be off-kilter slightly?

If it does spin, that could potentially explain added friction on the launch rod and the erratic flight performance, since center of rotation isn't where the launch rod is located, if it got to that speed before leaving the launch rod. That's my reasoning anyway.

I've launched my Quinstar with both C6 and D12 engines. All flights were stable.

I've attached a picture showing a D12 engine installed and how far it extends, 1/4" out the back.
Also shown is the 18mm adapter. The upper end slips inside the 20/50 centering ring used as an engine block.
With the 18mm adapter the casing extends 3/8" out.

Quinstar 24mm.jpg

Last edited:
Back