Unread threads being marked as read

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Ray Dunakin

Reaction score
The biggest frustration I have with trying to use this forum is that it randomly decides to mark all the unread forums/threads as "read"! It's really annoying to go through a few messages, and then suddenly all the "new message" markers on the other forums are gone.

ymj365

Reaction score
Agreed! This happened to me a few minutes ago.

At first I thought it might be the date rolling over, but it doesn't appear to be that (it's happened before midnight ET).

MarkABrown

Reaction score
I agree it's annoying. It's happened to me several times too. It appears to be time related. If you take too long reading the posts, it eventually "times out" and marks all items as read. It's probably something in the PHP code but, unfortunately, PHP is not one of the languages I'm fluent in.

A

Austin

I have seen the same and have done a refresh on occasion; I was brought back to the correct view, which showed the sections still unread again. Try it and see if that works.

Carl

jflis

Reaction score
Part of the problem with this (and most forum tools) (correct me if I am wrong, admin/mods) is that this tool does NOT keep track of unread messages. That is a misnomer

Rather, it keeps track of NEW messages since your last visit (subtle but important difference).

If you vist the forum and there are, for example, 10 new messages in the HPR forum, you will see the markers for each *new* message, not each *unread* message. By way of test, read only ONE of those 10 then log out then log back in. If it is tracking unread, then there shouild be at least 9 unread left. Not so, rather there are zero because there are zero *new* messages since your last session. It (the forum tool) hasn't a clue what you have and haven't read from session to session.

So, that is part of what you are seeing. Further (I am not sure if this is a setable parameter, but it may be), while you are "in session" (eg: logged on), it displays all of your *new* messages. Well, while logged on, there are still new messages coming in. Let's say you have just finished reading all the new stuff in the LPR forum, then move onto another forum. While there a new message appears in the LPR forum. In order to help you *catch* this new note, the forum will reset at some certain time interval and will update all of the forums, with respect to *you*. That is why you may suddenly see all the forums marked "no new messages" even though you haven't had a chance to get in there. It is *NOT* saying "no unread message".

sorry to ramble so long, but if you understand how the tool works, it can be easier to navigate.

What I do, for example, is if I know I am going to be pulled away from the forum for a bit (say, to walk the dogs), I will open each forum in its own window before going out. Then I have a "snapshot" of all the *new* threads and I can look at them at my leasure when I return instead of getting "reset" and have to go searching...

hope this helps more than confuses :)
jim

rstaff3

Oddroc-eteer
Reaction score
I usually can just hit 'back' on the browser until it gets to the old search page and the posts are retrieved.

DynaSoar

Reaction score
Originally posted by jflis
Part of the problem with this (and most forum tools) (correct me if I am wrong, admin/mods) is that this tool does NOT keep track of unread messages. That is a misnomer

Rather, it keeps track of NEW messages since your last visit (subtle but important difference).

I think that explains a lot. I used to check PMs when I got an email notice of them at my work account. After doing so I'd quit and come back later. There appeared to be no or very few new messages. But in reading, there were many I hadn't seen.

jflis

Reaction score
Yep, that is exactly what is happening. I make a point of never signing in unless i know I will have the time to at least *scan* all new messages for that very reason.

DynaSoar

Reaction score
Yep, that is exactly what is happening. I make a point of never signing in unless i know I will have the time to at least *scan* all new messages for that very reason.
A-HA! Grab the torches! Round up the peasants!
STORM THE CASTLE!

Rocketjunkie

Addicted to APCP
Reaction score
I find if you leave the site (even remaining logged in) for more than about 20 minutes, all the new messages are marked as not new. This usually happens to me when I click a link in a post that takes me to someone's site and I spend a while looking at the pictures, etc. When I come back to TRF, it treats it as a new session unless I've been gone less than the (about) 20 minutes.

jflis

Reaction score
yep, again what you are seeing is that timer going off within the forum. It's not *TRF* rather it is the forum tool itself. It is actually considered a *feature*.

*my* solution is that when i link off to someone elses site, I minimize it and go back to finish up with TRF then when done I sign off then go look at all the other sites I linked up...

jim