Quantcast

"Unread Posts" counter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

mjennings

Reaction score
I don't know how others feel about the new "Unread Posts" counter in the Welcome block, in the upper right, but to me it is rather useless information. If lots of people like it then please keep it, however I do not think it is useful

Last edited:

Gillard

Reaction score
i don't use the information, but it does not bother me either,
i nearly always hit the mark post read button after a session on TRF anyway.

Fishhead

Reaction score
I don't know how others feel about the new "Unread Posts" counter in the Welcome block, in the upper right, but to me it is rather useless information. If lots of people like it then please keep it, however I do not think it is usef
:2:

mjennings

Reaction score
So I guess the unread post counter is here to stay

n5wd

Reaction score
So I guess the unread post counter is here to stay
[Smart Alek Mode On] If it bothers you, you could always apply some white-out to your monitor! [SAM Off]

:roll:

ONAWHIM

Reaction score
I enjoy TRF and all that goes (comes) with it.
I do use the unread post feature.

It eliminates the perusing of material already read.

When I get home from work I'll revisit the forum as a way to de-stress from the day. Using the feature lets me see at a glance who has been active with posts and what has changed since the last time I was logged on.

In this example, a bump or two...

Regards,
Wm.

MarkII

Reaction score
I can't tell if it does anything that hitting the "New Posts" button doesn't do. I seem to get the same results either way. But I'm also not so sure that it's entirely new, either. YORF has a similar counter, just without a link. I suspect that there has been some sort of counter up there for quite awhile.

MarkII

troj

Wielder Of the Skillet Of Harsh Discipline, Potent
Reaction score
I can't tell if it does anything that hitting the "New Posts" button doesn't do. I seem to get the same results either way. But I'm also not so sure that it's entirely new, either. YORF has a similar counter, just without a link. I suspect that there has been some sort of counter up there for quite awhile.
The request for it came from someone who's also a user of YORF, so we added it. Scott may be running an older version that doesn't offer the link, or may just have the link turned off.

-Kevin

MarkII

Reaction score
The request for it came from someone who's also a user of YORF, so we added it. Scott may be running an older version that doesn't offer the link, or may just have the link turned off.

-Kevin
Yes, that's what I thought (about YORF). The stat is helpful when I have been away for awhile.

MarkII

mperdue

Reaction score
I requested it to be added because it lets me know if anything is new with a quick glance at the upper corner of the screen. I really don't think it adds a lot of additional time to the page refresh so I hope you guys who don't like it will not be too upset if it stays.
:)

Mario

rocketlaw

Reaction score
Let it stay.

I get on TRF at least 3 times daily (usually more), and when I see a huge jump in the number of unread posts I know something has hit the fan!

:duck:

JAL3

Reaction score
I didn't care about it one way or the other but now that its here, I like it and it makes my life easier. I don't think it hurts anybody to have it there and nobody is forced to use it.

mjennings

Reaction score
It can stay since there are those who like it. I was just commenting that I didn't find it useful and if most thought it was un-useful that it should go. I've gotten used to ignoring it now. No worries

H_Rocket

Death by Powerpoint
Reaction score
Memo from management to design team.

Make unread post counter much larger font and set color to Fuscia. Apply <blink> tag as necessary to garner attention.

troj

Wielder Of the Skillet Of Harsh Discipline, Potent
Reaction score
Make unread post counter much larger font and set color to Fuscia. Apply <blink> tag as necessary to garner attention.
You are evil, Al!

:p

-Kevin