Unofficial TRF Rocketry Goals for 2022 Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
#2 and #4 are in progress :)
I'm inspired by your post that you were able to put a line through as if you were scratching things off a list, and I love making list, so I'm going to make a post now and divide things up so that I can scratch them off as I go.
1. Finish painting Blobbo.
2. Finish Lil' Goblin.
3. Finish Dialblo.
4. Finish Level-2 Apogee.
5. Paint PML MR-1 rocket.
6. Make my rocket tool organizer out of 1/8" plywood.
7. Get my air compressor back from my son-in-law.
8. Get a mini-spray gun just for rockets.
9. Get re-certification for Level 2 (total unnecessary BS).
10. Get Level 2 certification.

Attend the NSL in May and the Freedom Launch in September. I was thinking about going to Air Fest in Argonia this year, but I'm going to hold off a year on that. And, Argonia may host LDRS again next year.

Post a picture of the one you made from foam board.
I'll be too embarrassed to post up a picture. It is quite crude and the quality is typical of somebody who cannot open a bottle of water or open up a ziplock bag, but I'm feeling bad today, in bed, tomorrow I'll take a picture of it and post it up. That way I can get some feedback on it or suggestions on how to improve it.

Finish the two rockets I've been working on. Launch my first fiberglass build complete with a tracker and full size "K" engine. Who knows, maybe I'll straighten up my workbench in the process. Enjoy my L-2 adventures, and try to squeeze in time for work and mowing the lawn. That should be enough to keep me out of trouble until next year.

1. Dive into 24 and 29mm reloads.
2. Fly more F/G motors.
3. Go for HPR L1 after 1 and 2 are complete since I now have a few rockets that can handle L1 motors.
4. Fly more LPR as well.
5. Finish my Saturn V.

Got #3 and more of #2 today. Good day. Will make a thread later.

Build my;

- CW Lotus Micro
- 54MM Mac Performance Blackfly
- Pile of Eggtimer Kits (Sorta.... Eric Hamilton built them for me!)
- WM Bad Dog 98

Fly;

- A lot more
- A successful L2 attempt

- With TRA Mid Ohio
- Supersonic (verified)

Lots done so far. Along with what's left I'll also be building some smaller midpower dual deploy rockets to get myself comfortable with it and I'll also be going after the different NARTREK levels since we're losing our HPR field for the rest of the season and I won't be able to fly much HPR between now and when the field is harvested again.

I'm inspired by your post that you were able to put a line through as if you were scratching things off a list, and I love making list, so I'm going to make a post now and divide things up so that I can scratch them off as I go.
2. Finish Lil' Goblin.
3. Finish Dialblo.
9. Get re-certification for Level 2 (total unnecessary BS).
10. Get Level 2 certification.
Got 2 things done on my list, and just discovered the "strike-through" option.
2. Finish Lil' Goblin.
3. Finish Dialblo.

Last edited:
2. Finish Lil' Goblin.
3. Finish Dialblo.
Blobbo is the silver one:
iMfeiNE.jpg

Building and finishing my first "real" midpower rocket, an Estes Executioner and Super Big Bertha not withstanding. Maybe by summer it'll be done.

This one:V1.6 with tailcone ply fins final version for now.png

Last edited:
2. Finish Lil' Goblin.
3. Finish Dialblo.

scratched off #2 today

2. Finish Lil' Goblin.
3. Finish Dialblo.

scratched off #2 today
Scratched off #3 today
GmXE30z.jpg

2. Finish Lil' Goblin.
3. Finish Dialblo.

Scratched off #3 today
GmXE30z.jpg

2. Finish Lil' Goblin.
3. Finish Dialblo.
That looks purty

1. Build my 4" MAC Black Fly
2. Complete a high power scratch build
3. Build my first fiberglass rocket
4. Complete a successful dual deploy flight
5. Fly an I motor
6. Fly a sparky at MDRA

Last two should be easy. If I get two of the first four I'll probably be happy. I build HPR very slowly.

Accomplished two of the three remaining goals at MDRA on Sunday:

3. Flew my Rocketry Warehouse Flying Pumpkin (no paint required! per the advertising copy, but I wasn't totally satisfied with my car wax finish) in an Aerotech J575FJ, could see the huge puddle splash made by the nose cone landing from 500 feet away. Had to wipe off and wash out a bunch of mud. (Sorry about the end of the video. I concentrate on watching with my eyes, so I generally only catch the powered portion of the flight.)

View attachment PXL_20220814_141254207~2.mp4

4. A Series of Tubes, 4" tube fin built from MAC Performance canvas phenolic, flew on a Loki J474CT and the dual deployment went very smoothly. I'm looking forward to flying higher once MDRA returns to Higgs Farm. This rocket will fulfill #2 as well once I paint it.

PXL_20220814_152032701.MP.jpg

• Attend a high-power launch with my girlfriend. She loved flying with DART, so I think she’ll also love camping out in the desert and and seeing the big stuff.
Done! Went to fly with ROC for a monthly launch and again for LDRS. The heat was miserable but we survived.

Convince the rest of my Dungeons and Dragons party to attend a club launch.

Has not happened, but it may yet.

• Fly with Tripoli San Diego again. Hopefully they resolve their launch site woes soon.

TRASD is back, but I wasn’t able to get out to them last season. Hopefully before the end of the year.

• Fly at Jesmond Dene Park without landing in a tree.

Shooting for November

• Possibly take a trip out to fly with Friends of Amateur Rocketry and see what they’re doing. Experimental motors make me nervous but FAR seems to be held in high regard by other clubs.

Will likely wait for a future year when I have need for their site, probably when I’m on the verge of L1.

• Master black powder staging by building and flying boosters for my entire fleet.

In progress. Booster project for my Star Orbiter in the works, improvements being made to my Luna Bug and Hi-Flier XL booster. Hi-Flier and Goblin boosters perfected.

• Venture into MicroMaxx and odd motor sizes.

MMX ordered, airframe assembly in progress. Hoping to fly this year.

• Build something with a 38mm mount (single or two-motor cluster) and successfully fly it.

Will likely wait for a future year.

• Successful glide recovery. I’ve tried glide recovery exactly once and that didn’t end well. Remember when the 737 MAXs got grounded because they kept crashing themselves into the ground at 700mph? Same thing with my Scissor Wing Transport all those years ago.

Will also likely wait.

• Get my Star Orbiter into the G range without re-kitting it.
Not likely to happen. Will probably limit my Star Orbiter to Estes 29mm Es and Fs due to worsening compression damage. Other airframes will likely handle the composite job going forward, I’m thinking one for each casing size available to ensure some degree of optimization.

1. Build my WM Demon 150
2. Build my WM Mach 2
3. Build my Madcow Nike-Apache from 2018 Black Friday sale
4. Fly Demon 150 on L2500ST at mini MWP
5. Fly Mach 2 on -insert some motor- at mini MWP
6. Fly Nike-Apache on small motors (H242T / F40W?) for shakedown at mini MWP
7. Fly Demon 150 on M4500ST, Mach 2 on K270W, Demon 5 on M1297W, Extreme WM on M1297W; all at Airfest

If I end up doing half of that, I would be extremely pleased.

Well, the WM holidays sales are over and I can report back on my 2022 goals post.

So, how'd I do??

1. Built my WM Demon 150; COMPLETE
2. Built my WM Mach 2; COMPLETE
3. Built my Nike-Apache; COMPLETE
4. Flew Demon 150 on the L2500ST at Airfest, not at Mini as it wasn't done in time. I still call that success since it was still done in 2022. ; COMPLETE
5. Flew Mach 2 on a G339 at Mini; COMPLETE
6. Flew Nike-Apache on an H699N to a G138T at Mini then again at Bong on an I599N to a G138T; COMPLETE
7. Flew Demon 150 on the M4500ST, the Mach 2 on a K185W, and the Demon 5 on an M1780NT at MWP and the WM Extreme on an M1297W at Mini MWP. Still a success!!! ; COMPLETE

Well, I am DAMN happy with that list as I accomplished all the goals I set out to accomplish and did even more!!! I few a LOT this season, more than I have ever in the past, at least that I can remember.

How did everyone else do??

Maybe go to airfest and launch my cf mongoose on an J510.
Play with more super thunders, K2050, L2500, M4500
finally finish my Nike Apache I bought 4 years ago.
Didn't go to airfest, but I did launch my cf mongoose on a J510. Paint got thick enough to just barely keep it in the waiver
Played with more super thunders, K2050, M4500, J610
Had to rebuild the Nike part of the Nike Apache after the first K2050, still haven't built the Apache part.

Call it 50%

1. Dive into 24 and 29mm reloads.
2. Fly more F/G motors.
3. Go for HPR L1 after 1 and 2 are complete since I now have a few rockets that can handle L1 motors.
4. Fly more LPR as well.
5. Finish my Saturn V.

Well, let's see...still some time left to do more things. 74 flights this year (80 motors). 2893Ns.

I want to go to Air fest in Argonia and break 20 thousand feet and maybe scare 30 thousand.......
Well I did go to Airfest and while 30,000 feet didnt need to worry I broke the heck out of 20k. :) Hit 23125 feet with a 3 inch minimum diameter scratch build flying an Aerotech M1850. Serious mach rash.....

• Release our first cluster kit. (Ready to go now, except for the balsa shortage*).
  • Release our first two-stage kit.
  • Design a glider that glides.
  • Sell more.
  • Find a place to fly with a ceiling higher than the lounge room.
  • Fly more.
  • Bring LPR to the masses with some pubic demonstrations.

Well, one done and a few rollovers for next year. The two- stage is close, like 'finish the paint and test' close.

Playing with a parasite glider.

Sell more is always a given. As is fly more, which was a bust this year.

Bring LPR to the masses. Well, a couple of ideas on the backburner ATM. 🤔

Back