• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Found Unistrut Rail Buttons

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antares JS

Professional Amateur
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Proline Rocketry's website doesn't work and Aerocon System's price seems really steep for rail buttons, so I wanted to see if anyone here is willing to sell me up to 4 delrin unistrut rail buttons so I can have two to use for my level 3 rocket and two backups. I would prefer black if possible but will take white. I saw a thread where someone was making and selling a bunch a few years ago so I'm hoping maybe someone has some left over from that.

Contact Mike Fisher at Binder Design Rocketry iirc he can/will custom make them. Unistrut button are large, how big a rocket are you needing them for?

Thanks, but I don't see unistrut rail buttons on there. Only 1010 and 1515.
Sorry I didn't realize they don't have unistrut buttons. I actually have a pair of white unistrut rail buttons that I'd be willing to donate. You would just pay the shipping. They don't include any hardware (bolts). They look like they take 1/4 inch hardware and have countersunk holes. You can email me at [email protected] if you are interested.

My level 3 rocket. Build thread is linked in my sig. I'm expecting it to weigh about 40 pounds.

Thanks, I will send him a message.
Use 1515 buttons then, solidly mounted 108lbs rockets have flown off them...Scott Binders 12" twelve foot tall Fusion on a N2220DM being one of them, and my 60 lb GLR Nuclear Sledgehammer being another over 40lb rocket.

Rail buttons are easy to turn if you have a metal lathe. Delrin turns like butter. I made these up because I got tired of the stock buttons being too thin on the stand off and having the rail rub on the rocket.
71A06697-B376-4E64-8B20-593370C73663.jpeg

Use 1515 buttons then, solidly mounted 108lbs rockets have flown off them...Scott Binders 12" twelve foot tall Fusion on a N2220DM being one of them, and my 60 lb GLR Nuclear Sledgehammer being another over 40lb rocket.

I don't believe this is a weight issue. MDRA uses unistrut at away cells. Unless you are bringing your own rail, your rockets need to have what the club offers. With that said, if you don't find something satisfactory, depending upon when you need them, I'm happy to provide you with a pair. I live in Northern Virginia.

I don't believe this is a weight issue. MDRA uses unistrut at away cells . . .

They also have one away cell pad with a tall 1515 rail.

Here is my 10 foot 37 lb Formula 150 launching from a 1515 rail at MDRA, but I don't think this was the big one at the away cell.
FB_IMG_1634006299114.jpg

Last edited:
Check with Ken at Performance Hobbies. The ones I have I got from him.

One thing to note: if you build like I do, you can share one pair of Unistrut buttons among all your bigger rockets. I have to hollow out the Delrin core a little, but I use 1/4-20 weld nuts epoxied to the inside of the booster, with the threaded end sticking out. All I have to do is remove the screw and move the buttons to another bird with the same weld nuts. Something to think about if you plan to build more large rockets.

1634563607569.png

Thanks, I was actually already planning on doing this. I had a situation recently where one of my rocket's rail buttons were damaged, and I thought of this as a way to be able to easily replace them if it happens again.

Thanks, I was actually already planning on doing this. I had a situation recently where one of my rocket's rail buttons were damaged, and I thought of this as a way to be able to easily replace them if it happens again.
I strongly recommend adding a little chopped carbon fiber (CCF) to your epoxy for the weld nut. Like dog barf, a little lasts a lifetime. I have a small jar that looks like I have never taken anything out of it, although I have used it probably twenty times. If you want some, I can hand it out liberally, free of charge.

Back