Unfortunate news . . .

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKPilot

Reaction score
I just needed to share this with someone . . .

Today's been a great day on many levels! To both Jon and Bob, sincerely and from the heart, thank you for everything you shared with me today. It's all fantastic, and I'm truly greatful!!!

Unfortunately, literally, as I hit the "send" button on an e-mail to say thank you for something - my wife was yelling at me from the kitchen with a significant problem with our 11-year old beagle. After a emergency home vet visit, and a seperate trip to the emergency room vet, two separate docs told us that our beagle has an inoperable tumor and should be put down as soon as possible. So first thing in the morning we have to take our Tobie into the vet to be put down. We've brought her home and my wife and I are trying to help her make it through the night so our children don't associate Christmas with our dogs passing.

I kinda feel like that episode in M*A*S*H where Hawkeye is trying to keep the guy alive until after midnight on Christmas day.

I am so sorry... I can still remember the pain and grief I felt when I had to have my 17 year old dog put to sleep.

Please accept my sympathies - you and your family will be in my thoughts tomorrow.

I am very sorry. I wish you and your family the best in dealing with the loss.:(

Oh dear.

What a sad spin this is. Having had to do this not so long ago, I understand your pain. Give Tobie a big hug, and I am sure that she will understand and be more than grateful that you love her enough to let her rest. I wish all the strength in the world to you and your family as this sad point in your life goes by.

Keep in mind that all dogs get a free pass to heaven and when your time comes, she will be sitting patiently by the entrance waiting for you.

A

Recently been there and if you're a dog person it really sucks..

Sorry for your unfortunate situation, and really respect what you're doing for the kids too...

Oh man, that really sucks, AK. :( We had to do the same thing to two elder cats last year, so we know how sad that can be. Best wishes as you deal with the loss.

When we put our dog down, someone sent this to me...

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

I am so sorry for your loss.

I feel your pain.

We have had to put down several dogs in my married life.

A couple were due to cancer.

Keep your chin up.

My wife and I have a similar story to BAR_Daddy.
Our first four-legged "child" succumbed to cancer at the early age of 5.
Our current dog is 11 1/2 and is heading downhill slowly from Addison's.
Both were abused animals from shelters.

Our two girls (4 and 6) are terribly attached to their Rosie and we are dreading the inevitable.

Our prayers go out to you and your family.
Good Luck tomorrow.

That is sad news indeed. We have 3 pups, a springer and two cockers. One is an older girl (13) now that we rescued from an abusive home. She looks and acts healthier today than she did 8 years ago, yet she is still showing her age and we know it is just a matter of time...

Our thoughts are with you

Ugh...man I'm so sorry to hear that.

It looked as though our greyhound had osteosarcoma (which spreads like lightning in a grey) as of last month...a battery of tests and x-rays ruled it out, but man, I definitely know what you're going through.

Hang in there. It's just a pity that a good dog can't last as long as his family. :(

Sorry to hear that.

Our smelly, old, dribbling, three-legged cat, smudge, who we all loved dearly, died on xmas day two years ago.

I can imagine how you must feel. Me and Mrs hokky managed to keep it from our littlest kids at until after the presents.

My heart-felt sympathy goes out to you. Our pets are like our "second children" and hold a very dear spot in our hearts. Know that there are many, many people on this forum that are with you during this time, and we support you and your family.

With warm regards

Very sad. Tobie will live in your hearts and memories forever. My condolences to your family.

Andy

I understand your what you are going through.

Went through the same sorrow after having to put down our cat a number of years ago after a visit to the vet ( infection that was getting worse )

Left the kids in tears.

Wow, that's tough. (not in a snyed vocal tone, but in a sympathetic tone) My grandfather passed on Christmas Eve several years ago. I liked him a lot, but I'm sure it was harder on my dad.

On a lighter note I have good news. The Bible indicates that there are animals in heaven - as we indeed see Christ come riding in on a white horse in Rev 19:11. But we also know there are very few cats in heaven. You see, they have to make these harps for everybody, and...

I'm sorry for you and your family. We don't have pets because of some serious allergy/sinus problems in the house but I remember from childhood how hard it was to lose a beloved pet.

Oh gosh, I am soo sorry. We have had animals die, but not on holidays. I knwo what you must be feeling, though, as our cat recently died while we were at the beach. It really ruined the rest of the trip if we thought about it. I hope your children understand. You have my best wishes.
Reed

Thanks you guys, a lot for your words of comfort!!! It's times like this where kind words and our faith comforts us.

This morning, I went out and purchased a "remembrance stone" from the local hobby shop. Our family were able to preserve her paw prints before we took her to the vet, and will always have it in our garden.

We then took her into the vet where she was given a sedative. And then, we my wife and I were ready, they put her to sleep. This is the first time I've had to put an animal down and can't believe how much peace we felt as she slipped away. It was both painful and comforting.

Thank you again for your kind words, your experiences, and your prayers!

I know what you are feeling. On Set. 21, 2002, at 5:45 p.m., we had to put down our 14 yr old Beagle due to cancer. She was our only child and best capanion. She went with us all over the world. Having to give the vet the nod to give her the IV was very hard, yet as she went to sleep, I too felt that peace.

May prayers of peace and happiness be with you during these holidays.

Scott

Originally posted by ScottRC
She went with us all over the world.
Scott

I think this was another hard part for us. We picked our beagle up from a breeder in England and she traveled with us from England to California, Tokyo, Alaska, and to here in Missouri. She'd been with us through much of my career.

Well . . . the grieving has been an hard experience for our family. I think both my wife and I have taken this the worst. With the kids being very sad as well.

We had a family council and after much lobbying, on behalf of the children, we decided to get another dog. They've been begging for a second dog, a chocolate lab, for a few months so the timing seemed right.

We called up a reputable breeder in the area and found out that they had a litter of puppies ready to go a few days before Christmas. So we're now proud parents of a chocolate lab named, by our kids, as Brownie!

She's not a replacement for our beloved Tobie, but she's helping us channel our grief.

Thanks again to everyone . . .

I am glad things worked out for you guys. A new dog will certainly help you through the grieving process.
Reed

That sucks man, i know how you feel.
We just had to bury our hamster Cuddles yesterday :(
He was 2 years and 1 month old.

Originally posted by akpilot

She's not a replacement for our beloved Tobie, but she's helping us channel our grief.

Several years ago I lost a cat I'd had for 19 years, but I got a new one shortly before he died, and I will always think of my new cat as a gift, in a way, from the old one. His legacy, as it were.

Originally posted by sylvie369
I got a new one shortly before he died, and I will always think of my new cat as a gift, in a way, from the old one. His legacy, as it were.

Couldn't express my sentiments better . . .

A choloate lab???

A week before Nummy our Beagle passed, my wife showed up with a 6 month old choloate lab she found in from of our church. he had been hanging our in front of it for over a week, apearently a family moved and left him behind, and she fell in love with him.

He is such a bundle of energy that during Numsit's passing, we couldn't help but laugh and feel better whenever we looked at him doing some kooky lab puppy thing. Yet he was also very compassionate by laying down with her and watching over her. He did the same thing when I brought our second dog home which was suffering from malnutrition and heat stroke.

He is now a full grown lab, and is a great dog who my wife refers to as devine intervention. It seems that we needed another creature to help us with the loss of Numsit, so Barney was sent and he didn't give us time to feel sad.

We now have three dogs, all strays, and a stray cat who resides on my chest at night. The house is a regular circus but a day doesn't go by that we don't think of the Beagle.

Scott

ScottRC, thanks for sharing that. It's nice to hear of such uplifting stories.

Back