Unclogging clogged can of white primer?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brockrwood

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
This old can of white spray primer won’t spray. It is almost full. Hate to waste it.

I unclogged the spray button with some acetone. Spray button is clear. I can blow air through it.

The can seems to be clogged internally somehow.

Anything I can do?

DF5CEC77-B8D9-485D-81D3-5DFAC1BB9C5E.jpeg

CFFD05A8-B9C2-4AA4-A8E0-A802E6327205.jpeg

2E9B3863-0DFC-4E17-96F5-34632D9D8E30.jpeg

Might be out of pressure?
You can fill the recess in the center of the top of the can and the little tube with acetone and let it set for awhile.

I set cans like that next to an exploding target. Nice fire ball. I have had the same thing happen. There just doesn't seem to be a way to unclog it. You could return it as a defective product maybe.

I had the same situ last week with the one color I needed and it was almost a full can 🤬.

I was thinking of trying to use an awl (or similar..old puncturing can opener or even a can opener on the top rim) to puncture a small hole at the top or on the side just below the rim to vent out the propellent and then you can enlarge the hole and pour out the paint to use with a brush.

Now I haven't tried this yet and I would be sure that the can has been resting so the paint is at the bottom. Also I'd get ready for a mess (imagine the can falling over from the propellent spray and whizzing around your deck 😱) and also make sure the can is held securely. Also NO smoking or open flames. Maybe wear a paint respirator if you're not really good at holding your breath. I'd do this inside a cardboard box. Maybe do what the above suggested instead?😁

Disclaimer: Please see my username for an idea of my ideas and I am not responsible for my "advice" being followed.

Last edited:
I had the same situ last week with the one color I needed and it was almost a full can 🤬.

I was thinking of trying to use an awl (or similar..old puncturing can opener or even a can opener on the top rim) to puncture a small hole at the top or on the side just below the rim to vent out the propellent and then you can enlarge the hole and pour out the paint to use with a brush.

Now I haven't tried this yet and I would be sure that the can has been resting so the paint is at the bottom. Also I'd get ready for a mess (imagine the can falling over from the propellent spray and whizzing around your deck 😱) and also make sure the can is held securely. Also NO smoking or open flames. Maybe wear a paint respirator if you're not really good at holding your breath. I'd do this inside a cardboard box. Maybe do what the above suggested instead?😁

Disclaimer: Please see my username for and idea of my ideas and I am not responsible for my "advice" being followed.
There are Youtube videos that show exactly how to do this. It's quite fascinating. There are a number of methods. If you plan to try this, definitely watch some of these to see the ins and outs.

BTW: one thing I can absolutely, positively confirm: If you ever decant by spraying (through a straw or whatever), you *must* give the paint time for the propellant to boil off before sealing up the paint can. Failing to do this => bad things happen.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=decant+spray+paint

Don’t waste your time. Pitch it.
Next time be sure to invert it and spray until clear before storage.
I have no idea about the OP's brand, but, unless I'm mistaken, this doesn't work for all cans. Recent & current Rustoleum in particular has some kind of "any angle spray" design. This is maybe convenient for actually spraying, but means you can't clear the nozzle for storage by spraying inverted.

Hard to throw away here in Boulder, CO. I will have to take it to the city Hazmat place.
You don't have trash pickup?
By all indications, the can is no longer pressurized (you can 2x check by puncturing a hole at the top of the can). No propellant left == no Hazmat concerns.

BTW, I would not try to scavenge the leftovers. Cut the losses, toss the old can, and grab (or buy) a replacement can.

HTH,
a

All to often the tube inside the can clogs. And there's nothing you can do to get it to work correctly. If you do get it to work, it will spit chunks and you will end up wet sanding them out and using a new can.
I use all spray paint cans for fun to shoot at with my BB Gun. Then I crush them with a hammer and toss them in the box of tin for recycling.
Just be sure if you do this, your doing it someplace you don't care if paint gets all over the place. Like NOT on your back porch!
You can vent you anger for the wasted can of paint by shooting at it, drain it so it is no longer a hazmat issue, and keeping landfills clear of recyclables.
When you get enough of them along with cans from your canned goods, you'll make enough to pay for gasoline to go to the recycler. 🤣

As a yute, I would use a short-tooth rake to puncture an old can. Once it stops hissing and spraying out the leftovers, pull it off the rake and use tin snips to open it up and retrieve the treasure- a new marble for my collection!

Back