Uncle Mike's Rocket Shack

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

U812

Reaction score
Just got a Quest X-15. Ordered it on Monday got it today-Wed. All in good condition despite the fact the box looked like it had been launched to 900 ft and recovered via a streamer at best! LOL!!

Excellent service. No fuss. PayPal friendly.

I'll start a Little build thread over the weekend.

Steve

box.jpg

kit.jpg

I built a couple of these a few months back. Though it's not true scale it looks good from a few feet back. I have but one piece of Advice....ADD NOSE WEIGHT!!! I built mine per instructions even though more than a few EMRR reviews told of the lack of nose weight causing looping after launch. I tried sending mine up on a C6 and sure enough it looped after only a 30ft ascent. I'm going to cut a small hole and pack some clay in. Like most winged rockets, the CG should be kept near the fwd 20% of the cord. Good luck.
FWIW

Before NARAM I had asked folk if anyone knew where I could find an Estes PortaPot Shot just because my family likes it. I didn't find one in time but when I had looked everywhere else, Uncle Mike's had one in stock.

Thanks Uncle Mike!

We'll post pictures once it finally gets built. Gotta clean up the rocket lab first.

Troy thanks for the tip although I've heard this before about this rocket. I always check and balance my birds to be sure and as safe as possible before flight anyway. Cutting the hole sounds good or you could cut the entire bottom off and insert the weight. Then fill it back in with a chunk of balsa and as an eye.

John get it cleaned up and get building. It adds years to your life span and enjoyment! ;)

Steve

Steve,

I know you're a graphic artist but on this one, skip the primer, just glue it together and paint it black. If you try to fill and sand this it takes forever, adds a ton of weight, and it still ends up being a minimalist interpretation of an X-15.

I love the kit, but made the mistake of trying to treat it like a real scale model, which it is not meant to be. It IS a wonderfully inexpensive rocket that looks a lot like an X-15.

Gus,

There you go. I hear you. Sorta scale is fine. I knew it was. Liked the size over the Estes and it looks cool. That's why I got it.

I sure appreciate your input. Will do!

Steve

I live flying mine, but after ballast it's a C6-3 or B6-2 only.

The loops are neat, but mine did 2 loops, then stabilized straight and level and went "Cruise Missile" at about 30ft altitude. Not safe or pretty.

After addition of ballast, mine now balances just ahead of the wings (which is probably a bit conservative) and flies straight as an arrow. When I build another I plan to do the 20% of wing chord thing. I set up the swing test to specifically investigate the "Yaw" stability because the vertical fins are so small. I think that's the limiting factor.

N

Ranger thanks for the report and the CG location. That should save me the thrill of being chased accross the field! :eek:

Steve

Steve,

I know you're a graphic artist but on this one, skip the primer, just glue it together and paint it black. If you try to fill and sand this it takes forever, adds a ton of weight, and it still ends up being a minimalist interpretation of an X-15.

I love the kit, but made the mistake of trying to treat it like a real scale model, which it is not meant to be. It IS a wonderfully inexpensive rocket that looks a lot like an X-15.

This bird needs nose ballast regardless of how well it's finished. Skipping filler and primer is a choice, but not the one I made. I didn't have much difficulty filling, priming, and sanding. The weight penalty is minimal if things are getting well sanded. Granted, the Quest X-15 isn't true to scale, I still think it deserves a decent finish, even as a sport model. :confused2:

X15-static.jpg

This bird needs nose ballast regardless of how well it's finished. Skipping filler and primer is a choice, but not the one I made. I didn't have much difficulty filling, priming, and sanding. The weight penalty is minimal if things are getting well sanded. Granted, the Quest X-15 isn't true to scale, I still think it deserves a decent finish, even as a sport model. :confused2:

X15-static.jpg

Foose - that is one nice looking model!!! :cool:

Yep. It is. However I took the Gus aproach. It turned out fine though. And it's glossy shinny sports car look.

I do so much scale stuff and realistic paint jobs rust and all it was a nice break to just go the simple route. It's hard to screw this model up it builds so straight. Looks great.

Steve

Thanks, Rocketcrab. Thanks, Steve. Mine was shiny gloss too, but only long enough to get the decals on... then I "runined" it with the dull coat. ;)

You bet. She's a beauty!

I figured as much. It's the only way to slide those things around.

BTW the decals are really good for this model. Quest makes a nice model.

Steve

Craig,

Yours looks way better than mine. :clap:

OK. Here's mine. Not as good either but I sure like it a lot. Great build.

Steve

finished_X_15.jpg

finished_X_152.jpg

Back