Unboxing reviews of NCR Laser Hawk and North Hawk RC Boost Glider...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Duffy

Reaction score
Several months ago I whipped up an out-of-the-box review of the Estes Little Joe II kit soon after it was released, and it was pretty well received. In the wake of that video Matt Steele sent me a copy of his NCR Laser Hawk to do a similar review, but various stuff got in the way and the project was relegated to the back burner. Now that I'm back in country and almost caught up, the time seemed right to do a video review of this kit. As a bonus, a quick look at the new Bob Ferrante-designed North Hawk R/C boost glider is included, too!

[video=youtube;r4qE2S_kuCo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4qE2S_kuCo[/video]

James

Just started work on the NCR North Hawk RC glider this evening. The pod went together very quickly, so work was started on the wing. On first glance this appeared pretty daunting due to the need to shape the leading and trailing edges of the 1/4"-thick balsa wing (I know I was certainly dreading it). However, using the suggested Master Airscrew razor plane I was able to rough out the wing in less than ten minutes!

I can't recommend this tool highly enough. My only regret was not purchasing one months ago when John Boren recommended it for shaping the fin bevels on the new Estes BT-60 Honest John.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/razor-plane-mas4100

James

IMG_2060.jpg

James, can you tell me the title line of your video? The company computers block Youtube videos, but I can log into the guest server on my Kindle Fire and watch them, but I have to search for them.

James, can you tell me the title line of your video? The company computers block Youtube videos, but I can log into the guest server on my Kindle Fire and watch them, but I have to search for them.

"North Coast Rocketry Laser Hawk and North Hawk unboxing reviews" should get you where you need to be.

James

Just finished up construction yesterday, and hit the wingtips with a bit of color to aid in-flight visibility. Lots of fun to build, and a great value! Frankly, I'm surprised that no one offered a kit that took advantage of the little micro receiver/servo bricks years ago. If the weather holds this will fly at the Austin Area Rocketry Group launch on October 1.

James

Last edited:
James, JH aerospace has had a switchblade pivot wing rc rg that uses micro motors and the brick out for about a year now. I haven't seen any reviews of it though. Looking forward to some video of the north coast version flying, the jh videos aren't that great.

Back