Unbelievable video

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gonna think twice about my plans to mix my own propellant in my basement.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

WOW.

Please remember, EX can be done correctly, or incorrectly. If you follow McCreary's safety guidlines that will never happen.

Please also take into the account of the immensity of that. There were a lot more fireworks in there than there will ever be motors in your basement!

Does anyone know the details of the fire at the Aerotech factory? I've been wondering about it for a while now. When was it? Why has it caused them to produce fewer motors?

Originally posted by JStarStar
I'm gonna think twice about my plans to mix my own propellant in my basement.

Major difference:

These are fireworks.

Rocket propellant is NOT firework material.

The spectacular display was probably caused by sympathetic ignition of and heat transfer to many hundreds of pounds of sensitive, professional grade fireworks materials, likely including chlorates, incredibly reactive metals (magnesium, etc.), and black powder. Most of it was likely unbound, as fireworks are usually assembled dry. In a binder mix, APCP burns much slower and definitely does not explode.

When done properly, EX is quite safe.

Don't confuse it with fireworks, PLEASE! :)

Holy Crap!!!! Hope that guys OK. That was some video.

I've seen this video before. That totally sucks to see such accidental loss and destruction; but if you think about it, under controlled circumstances, it would be totally cool to replicate!!! :eek:

Originally posted by daveyfire
Major difference:

These are fireworks.

Rocket propellant is NOT firework material.

The spectacular display was probably caused by sympathetic ignition of and heat transfer to many hundreds of pounds of sensitive, professional grade fireworks materials, likely including chlorates, incredibly reactive metals (magnesium, etc.), and black powder. Most of it was likely unbound, as fireworks are usually assembled dry. In a binder mix, APCP burns much slower and definitely does not explode.

When done properly, EX is quite safe.

Don't confuse it with fireworks, PLEASE! :)

Problem is, when done by somebody without extensive experience and training in the field, which would certainly be the case with me, "done properly" is much easier said than done. I do not have, nor are ever likely to get, the experience and know how to do any of that stuff in my basement, so I am completely fine with letting professionals do it under highly controlled conditions.

I know how to mount a motor in a rocket and install an igniter. That's good enough for me.

Originally posted by kelltym88
Holy Crap!!!! Hope that guys OK. That was some video.

I have also seen that video before! But kelltym88 , im sorry to say , but that last explosion killed the camera man. That is the closest ever video footage of the explosion that killed 15 (IIRC) people , and demolished 4blocks of houses.

Originally posted by rocketsonly
Does anyone know the details of the fire at the Aerotech factory? I've been wondering about it for a while now. When was it? Why has it caused them to produce fewer motors?

The Aerotech fire all but gutted their prodction facility. It also killed one employee.

Here are some details

I think the major point in the motor shortage was the legal situation forced on them by the Clark County NV government.

A

but doesn't specify the cause of the fire(s), only mentions a probable cause of the second blaze.

is the 97 page Fire Department's report available?

Not that I can find. I would not be surprised if it was also fed to the fan. Not really worth an FOI inquiry. I'm going to take the plunge and ping RMR to see if someone has it.

If I'm not back in three days send help.

Originally posted by Karl
I have also seen that video before! But kelltym88 , im sorry to say , but that last explosion killed the camera man. That is the closest ever video footage of the explosion that killed 15 (IIRC) people , and demolished 4blocks of houses.

That was in the Netherlands wasn't it?

Greg

Yep It was in the Netherlands , theres a few videos around of the place blowing up , but nothing this close.
Karl

Guys,

While this subject may be interesting to some, it really serves no purpose to the majority of our audience. As a matter of fact, drumming up old news, at least as far as the AT fire goes may be disturbing to those members who were actually effected by the event and are trying to put their loss behind them.

I ask those that are interested in continuing this to continue this conversation offline.

Thanks,

Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back