Ummm... Thirsty? Thirstybarbarian? Is there a barbarian in the house?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'ts been quite a while since I've seen a post by our friend Thirsty.

Anybody know what he's up to?

I believe he and his better half were (are) taking a very long hike through Spain.

Bingo! From a message in late March:

For me personally, my rocketry activities are about done for the next seven months. The Moffett launches are shut down, I've got a work conflict with the next LUNAR HPR launch, and after that I'm walking 500 miles across Spain, missing Dairy Aire and LDRS. Then we're into summer and everything is too far away until October Skies. I've been basically coming here the past couple of days to BS as break from my crazy work schedule and haven't been contributing much to the real rocketry discussion. That's usually a sign I need to step back a bit, otherwise I'll get swept up into one of these rant threads. I've only got 27 days to learn Spanish, so I better sign off. Hasta la vista, empollones de cohetes!

He and his wife are doing the El Camino de Santiago walk:

My wife and I are leaving late April, coming back late June. It will be 6 - 7 weeks walking and a couple more weeks in Spain for logistics and recovery! (Physical recovery, not rocket recovery.) I'll be leaving my barbaric side home, but not the thirsty part --- plenty of vino tinto and cafe con leche on the Camino!

He's on the adventure of a lifetime. ...
I hope and pray for he and his wife a wonderful and safe time ....
And a whole bunch of fantastic memories. ..

Teddy

Yes, Thirsty is hiking the Camino de Santiago across Spain and expected to be away for 6 weeks or so.

For anyone unfamiliar with this pilgrimage there is a rather nice movie with Martin Sheehan walking this path. It's called "The Way".

I asked Thirsty to bring me home a pebble from along the path...Powerful mojo in such an artifact and I will add it to my collection of stones from Scotland, Ireland, and other sites.

Yes, Thirsty is hiking the Camino de Santiago across Spain and expected to be away for 6 weeks or so.

For anyone unfamiliar with this pilgrimage there is a rather nice movie with Martin Sheehan walking this path. It's called "The Way".

I asked Thirsty to bring me home a pebble from along the path...Powerful mojo in such an artifact and I will add it to my collection of stones from Scotland, Ireland, and other sites.

Do not be in the habit of taking stones from Hawaii though. Generally, it is considered bad luck to take one. However, I was given one from Madam Pele herself. I know she wanted me to have it, and the only way I'll give it up is if someone pries it out of my cold dead hand. How do I know she wanted me to have it? We made an exchange. She got blood, I got a very small stone, embedded in my left middle finger. It's healed now, and I can still feel the bump on the bone where it is.

I was hiking on the lava flow on the Big Island, and after finding active lava, and watching it for a while, my friend and I started hiking back. Along the way, a rock I was walking on (which several others had just walked on) gave way under me, I fell forward, and put my hand out to protect myself. I got pretty chewed up. Not nearly as much as the Dumb (Donkey) Stupid Mother (idiot) who was out there stoned on mushrooms that we came across. I was totally chewed up, but I was wearing shoes, full length pants and my leather gloves (again, now soaked in my blood). He was out there in shorts, and what was left of his flip flops and completely covered in cuts. We gave him some water, and what bandaids we had left, but there was no way we could carry his stoned butt out of there. Moron didn't have a cell phone, but that wouldn't have helped much, as there was no cell reception out there anyway. My friend and I managed to get back to Hilo in time to find a place that had some rather large bandages still open, and we checked into our hotel (Hilo Hawaiian Inn). Next day, we were over at the Kona village, and I learned about how not to swim close to vana (fortunately for me, the restaurant was closer than the restroom, so I got to use vinegar rather than pee to kill the sting). By the time I left the island, both hands were in bad shape.

Back