Ultimate Saturn V...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The AMT man in space 1:200 scale set is maybe a little better suited for PMC. I have one of those in the box, not sure if I am up to even that challenge.

How much does an assembled Revell 1/96 scale Saturn V weigh?

If you are considering converting one of those to flight... don't. A #1969 Estes Saturn V looks better, is more scale accurate (except for the oversized fins) and would fly better.

If you are considering converting one of those to flight... don't. A #1969 Estes Saturn V looks better, is more scale accurate (except for the oversized fins) and would fly better.
Thanks for your reply. I have two of these 1/96 Revell kits kits unassembled. I would only be interested in their potential for PMC, not scale. I do have a few of the Estes and Century 1/00 kits for better flying. The Revell kits do have some inaccuracies, but they also have some more features, such as internal, or inter stage detailing and the fold back LM shroud. While this was a no-go at 16 Oz, it might be feasible with the LMR 1500 gram limit.

The way the stages build on the 1/96 by wrapping sheet plastic into a tube would provide a structure that has too many potential failure points though. Converting a 1/144 or 1/200 Saturn has better chance for success given the thicker stage halves of more traditional construction IMHO. Still, if you can pull off such a conversion... it would be cool.

Sorry I missed this because I would have paid that although I bet they were sold out in about 5 seconds. High quality, highly detailed, die cast 1/72 military jet aircraft models from:

https://www.hobbymaster.com.hk/
go for about $100 each, so something like this (which would weight far too much as a diecast model) for 8 times that isn't that unreasonable IMO:

Ultimate Saturn-V for a flying model rocket is to use a gimbaled engine, TVC. For example the Estes 1/100 using an F10 or G12 reload.

For a nice slow liftoff and 8 second burn time.

There have been a few 3-stage Saturn-V's, with pop-out fins.

But nothing beats a slow boosting 8 second burn that stay vertical. Unless it's 3-staged with long burn gimbaled engines in all stages, but it would have to be built light enough to still take off with an F10. :) (Could be done with only one guidance controller in the 3rd stage, as the real Saturn-V's did. But would need 2 servos per stage of course)

Nope, I'm not in the running to build a gimbaled Saturn-V. If I had had the time, I would have been tempted to do it for the 50th anniversary (I had a more challenging project to do then, anyway).

Someone here built a gimbaled Saturn-V 2 years ago, but IIRC did not post a video (he said he was gonna) and I do not recall if he posted any build photos.

Got an Estes #2001 Saturn V from ebay last week will be here tomorrow. looking forward to building it, never had one. My mothers cigarettes were more important than rockets. Now I am building what I could not afford when I was a kid. The prices are wayyyy steeper though, never ends. I'm making a rocket vault for my grandson, throwing in all kinds of rocket kits while I can so he can have something cool to fly with his kids.

Back