Ukranian R-360 Neptune

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally had a chance to launch this today... Flew pretty well on a D12-0 + C6-5. Parachute ejected but got tangled or for some reason did not open but no damage to rocket despite falling from 300+ feet.

Booster came in a bit hard and one fin got a little damaged. Will try the split nose and streamer on the next version.

How big is that field? What town?

Looks like a nice place to fly but hard to judge size from the wide-angle camera.

That’s a really good size, better than anything I have around here. One day maybe I’ll meet you there (although then you’d have to tell me where it is. :))

That’s a really good size, better than anything I have around here. One day maybe I’ll meet you there (although then you’d have to tell me where it is. :))

They are about to setup a carnival there so I am glad I went when I did!!! Would be great to get together. I need to start going to club launches -- I get too stressed launching in parks (especially with the larger D/E engines).

They are about to setup a carnival there so I am glad I went when I did!!! Would be great to get together. I need to start going to club launches -- I get too stressed launching in parks (especially with the larger D/E engines).
I totally understand the stress aspect. That's why I never launch on my own.

This is really fun looking model! The 2-stage motor combination and altitude look very good. Perhaps you could sell these 3D printer designs to some commercial company like Boyce Aerospace.

Thank you -- I do not know if any of those companies purchase or license designs - if someone has advice or contact I would welcome it.

I am going to post the 3D designs for folks to purchase via Cults. I know there is not much of a market for this type of thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought the BigMacDaddy's files from Cults and sent them to a 3D printer company. I am in the process of putting the parts together now. I have a number of projects keeping me busy this summer, so my progress on the Neptune has been slow but steady.

Attachments

• IMG_1777.JPG
    IMG_1777.JPG
    201.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1778.JPG
    IMG_1778.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1779.JPG
    IMG_1779.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1780.JPG
    IMG_1780.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 0
I am making pretty good progress on BMD's Neptune. I had to sand, file, and Dremel sand a few parts, but it was easy. The inter-locking parts took a little bit of filing on the locking tabs, but now work good. I found concentric fitting tubes that will hold the 24 mm motor at Balsa Machining Services that I am using for the first stage. I am thinking of putting in a small electronic unit into the first stage for recovery, but I am currently having trouble with the electronics.

Attachments

• IMG_1785.JPG
    IMG_1785.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1786.JPG
    IMG_1786.JPG
    840.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1787.JPG
    IMG_1787.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1788.JPG
    IMG_1788.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1789.JPG
    IMG_1789.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
I have constructed an electronic chute ejection for the first stage of Big Mac Daddy's Neptune. Things are a little bit tight and make use of body tubes that are BT-50-ish in size. The motor mount tube has an engine block and still uses BMD's interlocking aft-end system. I used Balsa Machining Services BT-50-ish concentric tubes so that the upper lid of the first stage will fit into the motor mount tube. There is a tube for the small Bear River Altimeter from Boris du Reau. There is a small tube for the 1S Lipo battery and there is a tube for ejection charge. Some of the tubes are made from the short Estes motor spacer tubes that Estes offers in their kits. I had to put some notches in the first stage upper plastic lid in order to fit over some of the tubes on the peripheral edges. The tube that contains the altimeter has a hole to the outside to sense air pressure. The altimeter tube and the battery tube have holes in their lids for the electrical lids. I plan to plug the holes with poster putty. I haven't tried this, yet, but it looks doable.

Attachments

• IMG_1788.JPG
    IMG_1788.JPG
  • IMG_1792.JPG
    IMG_1792.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1793.JPG
    IMG_1793.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1804.JPG
    IMG_1804.JPG
  • IMG_1805.JPG
    IMG_1805.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Cool rocket. I am likewise very late to the party.

putting an A8-5 in the sustainer gives three potential advantages. (Maybe A8-3, 5 seconds may be long, especially as it looks kind of draggy, not sure if sims will effectively demonstrate this.)

lower mass than the C6, so should improve your CP for better stability.

shorter thrust than the C6, so unless you really WANT more altitude and possible a longer walk (or higher chance to lose it if it weathercocks) you still get all the excitement of a staging event without the above issuse.

larger bore than C6 (although obviously you were already successful staginwith the smaller bore, so not a big deal.). I have no empiric evidence, but logically seems like upper stage ignition (particularly with any significant gap) is more reliable with a larger sustainer motor bore.

Last edited:
Here's my scratch build of the Neptune Missle. Way to go Ukraine!!!
Flown successfully.

Attachments

• PXL_20220429_231537500.jpg
    PXL_20220429_231537500.jpg
  • PXL_20220429_231531731.jpg
    PXL_20220429_231531731.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220511_014555733.jpg
    PXL_20220511_014555733.jpg
  • PXL_20220523_000422261.jpg
    PXL_20220523_000422261.jpg
  • PXL_20220605_190323198.jpg
    PXL_20220605_190323198.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220430_233313942~2.jpg
    PXL_20220430_233313942~2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
I had a good flight of the Neptune last Saturday and the electronics on the first stage worked good. Unfortunately, the parachute for the first stage did not open and there was some damage. The ground was fairly hard. I put a on/off switch on the first stage, which is very helpful. I had about a quarter to a third of gram of powder for the ejection charge. The battery was pulled out of its compartment and the forward plastic end was bent a little bit. It still holds the correct voltage, but I think I am going to retire the battery. The compartment for the altimeter held tight and when I bench checked the altimeter (Bear River altimeter from Boris du Reau) today it works fine. I would highly recommend bench testing the altimeter with a small light (I have a small light that is used in model train setups). It makes a difference on the positive/negative battery connection to the altimeter. If it is wrong, it will fire the pyro port as soon as the battery is turned on. I found that when I put in the battery switch I got the battery connection reversed. I bench tested the system until I was confident it would work correctly. The D12-0 in the first stage and a C6-3 in the second is a good combination.

Attachments

• IMG_2089.JPG
    IMG_2089.JPG
  • IMG_2090.JPG
    IMG_2090.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
I had a good flight of the Neptune last Saturday and the electronics on the first stage worked good. Unfortunately, the parachute for the first stage did not open and there was some damage. The ground was fairly hard. I put a on/off switch on the first stage, which is very helpful. I had about a quarter to a third of gram of powder for the ejection charge. The battery was pulled out of its compartment and the forward plastic end was bent a little bit. It still holds the correct voltage, but I think I am going to retire the battery. The compartment for the altimeter held tight and when I bench checked the altimeter (Bear River altimeter from Boris du Reau) today it works fine. I would highly recommend bench testing the altimeter with a small light (I have a small light that is used in model train setups). It makes a difference on the positive/negative battery connection to the altimeter. If it is wrong, it will fire the pyro port as soon as the battery is turned on. I found that when I put in the battery switch I got the battery connection reversed. I bench tested the system until I was confident it would work correctly. The D12-0 in the first stage and a C6-3 in the second is a good combination.
Thank you for sharing and really glad to hear you had a good flight! Any chance you have video? ;)

Why do you think the parachute did not open on the booster? I have occasionally torn shroud lines on booster parachutes since they eject when things are moving pretty quick. I probably need to move over to streamers...

Last edited:
I realized I never posted updates to this thread. I created an updated version of the booster with a clamshell design that opens when the sustainer seprates from the booster (also updated a couple of other parts as well).

1684807455481.png

You can see it here after ejecting the booster parachute.

1684807490237.png

I also updated a couple of other parts -- made it easier to get a full quarter turn lock on the sustainer retainer cap by modifying the sustainer pod and retainer cap so they can pass by one another (part of the pod detail is on the retainer cap but notches so it feeds through other details on sustainer boat tail).

1684807557373.png

Also some other folks posted builds on FB... Kris T. added some nice extra details, panels, etc...

View attachment 582039
View attachment 582040
View attachment 582041

Scott H. also posted his build with a much more subdued color scheme...
View attachment 582042

Wow. If not for the Lego bumps and the clay nozzle exposed, I’d swear that was real if I was a swearing kind of rocketeer, which I try not to be (except with certain work related software, but I digress.). Amazing work!

Thank you for sharing and really glad to hear you had a good flight! Any chance you have video? ;)

Why do you think the parachute did not open on the booster? I have occasionally torn shroud lines on booster parachutes since they eject when things are moving pretty quick. I probably need to move over to streamers...
Unfortunately, I do not have any video. As I remember the booster stage continued up for a short distance after the second stage fired and then the booster upper lid was blown out. The parachute was attached to both the upper lid and the aft end on the outside. The lines of attachment for the chute are fairly long. Perhaps, the chute was not pulled out with much force. Also, the chute was folded up fairly good and made no progress on opening up.

Back