Ukra 2004

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karl

Reaction score
How many people are attending this ? Will there be a TRF gathering?
-Karl

I might be going, depends if I can convince my dad to drive me there.

Not me I'm affraid. :(

About 6 months ago I drunkenly aggreed to go to a Train Gala in York with a mate, and didn't realise it was the same dates as UKRA. Hes already got the tickets, and as I hadn't got my UKRA tickets yet, the train gala won! It'll still be a good day out for me - theres bound to be a few STUPIDLY powerful engines to watch going through their motions.

lol ahh well ! You dont need tickets for UKRA , I would advise being a member first though.
-Karl

Just a few neat pics I took at UKRA.
This one im sure was clusterd with a central K motor and 4 G motors.
-Karl

BSD Apache on a J for a level1 cert flight
-Karl

Damians Thor before being launched on a Hypertech motor.
-Karl

Originally posted by Karl
Just a few neat pics I took at UKRA.
This one im sure was clusterd with a central K motor and 4 G motors.
-Karl

This Fat Albert was absolutely awesome.

Yeh , that thing was LOUD!!! Hey did you see any of my flights?
-Karl

Yes, I saw a few. I don't know the names of most of them. (Too many rockets to remember this weekend) I do remember your Hydra flight though! :-( What went wrong?

Firstly we thought a motor had CATO'd and threw the rocket off course but when we recoverd it we found out that 1 motor didnt light so this may of been the cause. But some how the rocket set fire to it self (smoldering when I picked it up). I'll try to repair it but It seems to be far beond repair. Did you fly anything?
-Karl

Firstly we thought a motor had CATO'd and threw the rocket off course but when we recoverd it we found out that 1 motor didnt light so this may of been the cause. But some how the rocket set fire to it self (smoldering when I picked it up). I'll try to repair it but It seems to be far beond repair. Did you fly anything?
-Karl

What were the motors? Were any of the motors booster motors? Sometimes if a booster motor doesn't light from the bottom, it will light from the top, and burn the inside, I think that happened with my cluster that I built on Friday afternoon, and flew on Saturday.

Was you using a white rocket on 4 D12's and flying it with a Altimeter to light a Ematch to see if it worked? What time of the day did you launch it?
The motors where , 1 C6-7 for the central motor , 3 C6-0's for one side , and 3 C6-5's for the other side. One motor didn't light , and when I recoverd it , the paint had bubbled on all the motor tubes , bar the one that didn't light.
-Karl

Was you using a white rocket on 4 D12's and flying it with a Altimeter to light a Ematch to see if it worked? What time of the day did you launch it?

No, that wasn't mine, I had 12 motors: 11 HELD1000s, which are approximately a C1.5-0 and a Rocket Services "F36-5" which, if memory serves, is about an E6-5.

The motors where , 1 C6-7 for the central motor , 3 C6-0's for one side , and 3 C6-5's for the other side. One motor didn't light , and when I recoverd it , the paint had bubbled on all the motor tubes , bar the one that didn't light.
-Karl

I still think it's possible that one of them lit from the top, it really was pretty well toasted!

Yep , it burnt through the kevlar , set fire to most of it , it mustv'e done that. But how do they light from the back when there BP motors?
Ohh yeh Darren I think used those HEILD motors , there German aint they?
-Karl

Because the booster motors doesn't have an ejection charge or a clay cap, the ejection charge from another motor, can light it from the top.

Yeah, the HELD1000 is made in germany.

Yeh I remember seeing them in a catalogue I have. Did you fly it on the LPR pads?
-Karl

That'll be the opitec catalogue?

I flew it form the HPR pads, because it was quite big and heavy. Too big and heavy in fact!

Hey Adrian! Remember me ? The lad doing the 'Rockets Of Mass Destruction'? Great pics!
-Karl

Sorry, that description is not specific enough as it fits quite a lot of rockets. ;)

The only one I actually announced as "weapons of mass destruction" was the BLU-79 Cluster Bomb after the SA-2. Was that yours?

By the way, I think the "Unknown rocket on a D" in one of your photos is Andy Moore's VB Extreme 29. It's the only one in my own photo collection which is slim, has a light upper half and dark lower half, and went off a pad in the middle on a D. (Of course, there were some I didn't manage to photograph, so it might be one of those. ;) ) And the scale V2 on a J is probably Colin McLaren's level 2 certification flight.

Originally posted by Mike
Great shots guys! I so shoulda gone :(
Ditto!

I had a great day doing what I did, but it does sound like a good time was had by all. Its good to see some Tunderbird 3s flying. :cool:

Back