[UK] BigEARS Launch May 6th-7th

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike 8-{>

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just an early alert message.

It's time to start thinking about BigEARS. If you have any big projects you intend to fly or anything which will need S&T approval then now's the time to let us or them know. Remember we need 30 days notice of any particularly "special" flights, vehicles or tests you are planning on bringing. Do get in touch now to avoid dissapointment.

More news on BigEARS 2006 will appear on the EARS web site shortly.

https://www.ears.org.uk/

Cheers Mike 8-{>

EARS Secretary

Can't wait.... if it's half as good as last years event it'll be a great weekend!

I have a flight which isn't experimental under UKRA S&T rules... but is a little 'innovative' I plan to make there, I'll e-mail you about it off-forum and check it'll be ok... but it's not that 'dodgy' (by my standards).

Ben

Stop him, someone, before he flies a magician's rabbit over the Ouse.

Originally posted by spacecadet
Stop him, someone, before he flies a magician's rabbit over the Ouse.
Hey, now that's an idea...

Shopping list.

1 Rabbit
1 Hat
1 Motor - guess a G should do it

I wonder if a rabbit's ears are large enough to count as a streamer for recovery? :D

You can't stop me...no one can... NO ONE!!!

(dr evil finger to corner of mouth)

MWA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!

Originally posted by pricey
will you be able to certify people at big ears

At any EARS there are usually enough RSO's around to allow for L1 and L2 certifications, if you are wanting to go for L3 then you really need to hurry and contact S&T to get your project passed by them, however if thats done then I'll be at Big EARS so can possibly do L3 certs.

I believe that Mike R also brings L2 exam papers to EARS launches so you should also be able to sit your exam.

Originally posted by pricey
i only want my L1 at the moment

Won't be a problem... always more L1/2 RSO's than you can shake a big shaky stick at at all the EARS launches.

This weekend included!

:)

Ben

You gents and ladies have a really good time this year!

I had a ball last year getting to meet everyone and having my rocket (Fat Boy) signed by everyone.

Now I had to play with the wording on that last sentence a bit so as not to offend anyone.:rolleyes:

It looks like I'll be able to make it again this year. I'm going to take the L2 written test there, so probably won't be flying much. Maybe the Gamma III will make another flight, with less spackage this time ;)

Phil

HI all,

finally registered with the TRF, looking forward to meeting you all and seeing some old friends at Big Ears.

Pete
HART Rockets

Hi everyone,

A quick reminder that Big EARS is almost upon us.

Please note it is NOT this Bank Holiday weekend ( 29th to 30th April)

It IS the first weekend in May (6th to 7th May)

Sorry for the confusion caused by some slightly misleading details on the EARS web site.

We have Rockets and Things. We have prizes for the raffle. There will be at least one hybrid pad. Uncle Bob will be providing NOX services. All the usual features you have come to expect at Big EARS.

A final reminder. Big EARS is a very basic event as far as creature comforts and accomodation are concerned. The main priority is flying rockets and having a good time ;0)

There is camping. You are welcome to come down on Friday evening and to stay Sunday evening should you wish to.

We will have loos on site. There is no water available on site. Due to the relatively small scale of the event there will not be any onsite catering so flyers will need to provide their own food.

Look forward to seeing you all on the 6th and 7th.

For more details see the EARS web site. https://www.ears.org.uk/

Cheers Mike 8-{>

EARS Secretary

UKRA #1208 L2 RSO EARS # 1118
TRA #3207 L1

An update on FOOD :)

We will now have food available at Big EARS. There will be sausages,
burgers and bacon in a bun. Soup and Pot noodles. There will also be
something for the Vegeies. We also hope, weather permitting, that
there will be a Barbeque on the Saturday evening.

Cheers Mike 8-{>

EARS Secretary

Excellent news, Mike!

I really carn't wait for BigEARS! Lots of cool flights ready, or so I've heard ;)

Only a few days away!

Who's going then?

My car is all packed up and ready in works car park and I'm leaving at 4ish to go pick up hatter and RO.

Should get there sometime between 7-8

I'm even considering launching a rocket, *shock* *horror*

Cath

Hey BFO,

I am 90% certain on going. I've got to lumber all of my gear through two trainstations to make it to Heald Green where Uncle Bob (Damian) will pick me up.

And I will see you guys there!!

Karl

Post just came, and no COER so I won't be going :(

Phoned the local explosives officer to find where it is, and it turns out that they still have not recieved the medical report from my Doctor. (grumble grumble .... Thatcher's bloody Britain .... etc)

I should be there about 12 on Saturday, might fly a couple of low power, but nothing big.

Just because you didn't get your COER doesnt mean you carnt fly BP Cyder ;)

Originally posted by cydermaster
Post just came, and no COER so I won't be going :(

Phoned the local explosives officer to find where it is, and it turns out that they still have not recieved the medical report from my Doctor. (grumble grumble .... Thatcher's bloody Britain .... etc)

I'm sure they didn't get a medical report from my doc, and i know they didn't get one from hatters as he hasn't had a doc in about 10 years, strange.

Cath

I went to the Dr for help with depression after a best mate died about 5 years ago. Unfortunatly that counts as mental illness, so they need a Drs report. :(

I could go and just fly BP, but [cartman]I WANNA FLY AP![/cartman] ;)

The explosives guy phoned me about 2 hrs ago to say that they'd been on to my drs, and the report is 'stuck' in a backlog of reports in the admin dept at the health centre. However, hes chased it up and got it 'removed' from the jam to be processed next and hes had it dictated to him. Hes happy with it, so it looks like I'll have my COER soon! - Role on UKRA! :D

>snip<

Come on, you know you need to go, COER or no COER!

Hopefully arriving sometime tomorrow morning along with family and some friends.

Planning to fly my 3" Thor and 4" Cheyenne (Norad upscale) but there is still some building work in hand. I haven't chosen what motors to use yet but the Thor will probably be a Pro38 3G.

I'm working in Peterborough until 7:00 but the weather is beautiful right now and I'm trying very hard not to chip off early - I can see my "car" out of the window, full of camping gear and rocket stuff which isn't helping...

And the moral of this story is DON'T go to the Drs for help with depression! This isn't the first time my medical history has given me hastle, and its doubled my life insurance and mortgage protection premiums. Go to the Off Lisence for help .... not the Drs! ;)

That's not actually good advice cyder. Having a bout of depression isn't enough of a reason for the rozzers to refuse you a license, I know several people who have had to have this check, and it's just routine. As you say yourself, it's just that you're stuck in a queue rather than anything sinister.

But, please, don't joke about finding a remedy for depression at the offie rather than at the docs. I know you mean it as a joke, but if it discourages just one person from seeking the help that they need, it's not that funny.

Sorry to be so serious, but I have personal experience in this area too :-|

Good point, Hok - upon reflection, post edited. It was a joke, and a bit of a comment on the unnessesary stgymas attached to mental illness and the hastle of having to get a Drs report for, it seems like, everything and anything (insurance companies are the worst - you have to answer all these personal questions and find that your premium/quote has all but doubled); but you're right ... somebody could actualy take it as advice.

:D

Good point, Hok - upon reflection, post edited. It was a joke, and a bit of a comment on the unnessesary stgymas attached to mental illness and the hastle of having to get a Drs report for, it seems like, everything and anything (insurance companies are the worst - you have to answer all these personal questions and find that your premium/quote has all but doubled); but you're right ... somebody could actualy take it as advice.

:D

Thanks cyder

Back