Uh oh...I'm getting the itch again!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetra2

Reaction score
Aw shoot...I SO want to build something! This job is really getting to me! The thought of actually having my OWN money and my OWN bank account (with all associated cards, of course :) ) is driving me nuts! I really want to buy a NICE MPR-HPR kit, but I don't know exactly what I'm wanting. I'm looking at a lot of the 2", 2.6", and 3" kits with 29mm mounts. I'm really wanting something that will give me a challenge - I'm really kinda sick of building something in a weekend.

I might even decide to go to Staples tomorrow and pick up a pack of 3" mailing tubes and scratch build something nice...maybe it's time to play with Rocksim and see what I'm thinking about. Maybe something tall - say 5-6 feet, but still able to fly on F's and G's...hmm...

Ya know, I'm thinking that I'm describing every good rocketeer's thought process... :p

Jason

POST 1000!! WOOHOO!

That itch seems to change places from time to time.
My current itch started with the construction of a Night Wing and now in order to scratch this itch I have to build more rockets with wings:D

If you like 'rockets' with wings you must try the VMX Space Plane or the Sunward Ice-Storm , amazing rockets indeed!
-Karl

Originally posted by jetra2
The thought of actually having my OWN money and my OWN bank account (with all associated cards, of course :) ) is driving me nuts!
Oh-oh, watch out Vendors, Jason's comin and he's got CARDS:D

maybe it's time to play with Rocksim and see what I'm thinking about. Maybe something tall - say 5-6 feet, but still able to fly on F's and G's...hmm...
Jason
Clusters, gotta be a cluster......

Careful now Jason...you'll end up opening your closet one day and rocket kits and parts will fall out uncontrollably!!! (You know the closet I'm talking about!) Don't hurt yourself! :p

I will say one thing - for those of you that relied on your parents as kids for money to buy rockets and then came back as BARs, isn't it just a great feeling to be able to practically buy most any Estes kit you want? Jason kinda just transitioned from kid to kid with job and a continued interest in rocketry. :)

Originally posted by eugenefl
Careful now Jason...you'll end up opening your closet one day and rocket kits and parts will fall out uncontrollably!!! (You know the closet I'm talking about!) Don't hurt yourself! :p

YAHOOO!!! I can't wait for that day! :) :)

Jason kinda just transitioned from kid to kid with job and a continued interest in rocketry. :)

Muchos Gracias, Senor! :D

Jason

This is the kind of itch that Goldbond can not fix :eek:

Jason, You are at a prime age where you can spend every dollar you make on your hobbies if your folks are fine with that (parents do have the right to take your money and save it for such things as college... mine probabily would of done that... if I got a job before I was 18).

But you kids don't understand there comes a time where other responsibilities come into play... I owe money... I have a car... I have insurance to pay for... my website, cell phone, gym... all take cash out of my wallet... I don't have a girlfriend, or my own place yet... but from the pennys I been scraping up... I wonder how I can afford those luxuries... Simple... I can't... not until I find a better job that pays more, and gives me more hours...

eugenefl:
or those of you that relied on your parents as kids for money to buy rockets and then came back as BARs, isn't it just a great feeling to be able to practically buy most any Estes kit you want?

oh man, you nailed it!! it's not the kits so much as the motors. I remember as a kid, either I could build a few balsa gliders with 1 week's allowance, or save allowance for 3 weeks & build a rocket & fly it a few times ... and save for weeks and weeks and weeks!

n3tjm:
... my website, cell phone, gym... all take cash out of my wallet... I don't have a girlfriend, or my own place yet.

dood, read back what you wrote and put 2+2 together. Get a girlfriend, move in to her place, and spend your rent money on rockets! you won't regret it. Just tell her you are an out-of-work rock musician. worked for me when I was 18 :)

Cliff - too old & fat to pass as a rockstar any more!!

Some scratches never heal..... we BAR types are fortunate to be able to return to the hobby we had as kids, only now (hopefully) with a little bit more disposable income. Wait, I live in San Diego. I have none ;) Oh well. "It's just like riding a bicycle."
Mike

In Progress:
Richter Recker
Stuck motor extraction on Executioner.

Get the Mountainside 4" V2. You CANNNOT build THAT in a weekend! It took me a week or two, and the guy who makes em says thats a record! it has a 29MM motor mount, too. It costs about $80. About a weeks work for you:eek: But its worth it! Its not easy to build.. You have to make a fin frame, then glue 1/16" plywood onto it, then sand it down perfect, and all sorts of stuff. Its a VERY difficult (rewarding, though!:cool: ) kit to build. i highy reccomend it.

Just my .02:D

I knew the guys at Mountainside Hobbies when I lived in PA. Their shop is located in Ephrata. They were great.... Decent prices, and since they were active in the local NAR section, they kept a well stocked arsenal of their own kits, Aerotech, Estes, LOC, Launch Pad, PML, and a bunch of others. They also stocked the full line of Estes and Aerotech motors up to and including G. They moved to Maryland, but now I heard somewhere they are back in Ephrata... I was going to visit them when I was in PA last summer, but I didn't remember how to get there...

Well, I went and bought myself some tubes yesterday! I bought a 4 pack of 3" diameter mailing tubes, and a 4-pack of 1.5" tubes for 38mm mount tubing. Eugene (eugenefl) came over last night, and I measured the tubing. It's pretty consistent between all four 3" tubes, between 78mm and 79mm OD and about 78mm ID. A PML 3" nose fits PERFECTLY!

I've planned two projects around these tubes:

1: 3" Diameter Upscale Fliskits Flea - more on this later.
2: Simple Big-n-Tall Rocket - 38mm MMT. Length at approximately 75"

More later...me tired...

Jason

Back