U.S. Rockets brand HPR KITS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry Irvine

Reaction score
This thread is for actual users of USR HPR kits and for those who WANT to be users of USR HPR kits. Trolls please go elsewhere.

Thank you.

I am interested in feedback on recently shipped kits.

38mm series
https://www.v-serv.com/usr/38mmkits.htm

Large Sport Series
https://www.v-serv.com/usr/lss.htm

Experimental Rocket Series
https://www.v-serv.com/usr/ers.htm

Testimonials
https://www.v-serv.com/usr/testimonials.kits.htm

Check the instaship page before ordering things you are in a hurry for.

https://www.v-serv.com/usr/instaship.txt

Thanks.

looks like there are some really cool, BIG models!
i am looking forward to doing business in the not so distant future!

OK, ill bite...

Could I have some more info on your fiberglass series?

Specifically the 29MM version...

Thanks.

I've seen some of the MPR in person, but never one of the HPRs... Photos on the web of the kits would be nice, perhaps in flight? I know you've flown them before at Lucerne! :)

Thank you for the link to the 38mm kits. (I'm especially digging the Stiletto!!) I didn't see that page when browsing your site recently. Now you have my attention :D

A while back I was looking around on the USR website and admiring the 6" kits. Too big for me though.

Hi Jerry,

You can add me to the category of WANT to be a USR kit user. I'm totally overextended on my rocket budget for a bit but when I can, I will for sure order a STUB 6. Whoa! CTI J210 with CTI G79-SS airstarts! Yes!

I like the short, stubby rockets.

Nice layout of the kits on your site too.
I should be ready by mid June or so.

I'll be sure to go back to look for more photos of that one.

Len Bryan

they look interesting, although I would want to see one fly and talk to someone who has built one before I buy one

I'm interested in some of the USR kits, but at this point in my rocketry lifetime, I'm still a toddler. I've graduated from Estes and Quest kits (although I still enjoy playing with them) and am moving up into the LOC/PML/TLP kits, and eventually, I hope to own a Skunk Works and/or a USR HPR kit.

I may still be learning the ropes on the mid-power birds, and not ready yet for a USR HPR kit, but that doesn't mean I am a Troll, by any means! I'm learning, and as such, I'm still a potential customer who has a very close interest in this thread because I want to know about the quality of ALL the kits/makers on the market.

WW

They do not hold up to modern designs.

I am sure, at one point during the golden age of rocketry (1985?) that these kits were state of the art. However they do not stack up to similar kits today.

I halped to build a Sonic 3100 kit in the late 1990s.

The fins were warped.

The nosecone didn't fit the heavy paper tube.

The chute was a piece of raw cloth cut out using pinking shears.

This might be fine for a lower powered kit, but not for a 3" x 54mm bird. If your thinking of getting it, save your money and buy LOC instead.

I've seen the banshee a few times. For the size of the rocket, it is all right. The chute still leaves much to be desired. For $36 bucks you could buy a better kit.

Just being honest.

--Alex

Originally posted by AlexNUMB

I halped to build a Sonic 3100 kit in the late 1990s.

The fins were warped.

The nosecone didn't fit the heavy paper tube.

The chute was a piece of raw cloth cut out using pinking shears.

This might be fine for a lower powered kit, but not for a 3" x 54mm bird. If your thinking of getting it, save your money and buy LOC instead.

I've seen the banshee a few times. For the size of the rocket, it is all right. The chute still leaves much to be desired. For $36 bucks you could buy a better kit.

Just being honest.

--Alex

Nothing he claims is currently accurate. The Banshee and Sonic 3100 do not even come with chutes at all.

As for the other coments here, thanks! I appreciate it. Fiberglass kits are not on the instaship page for a reason but I will try to remember people want 29mmf irst.

Jerry

Could you give me some info on the components? Such as what the nose cones, shock cords, fins ETC are made of? I know you say "thick plywood" on your webpage, but how thick, and how many plys?

I like the looks of the Sonic 3100 and the Warp 2... Could you give me some more info on those? Are all the prices on your webpage current?

Thanks!!

-Neil

Oh, and if the kits dont come with chutes...:D

I truly hope US rockets kits sell like hotcakes.... I can do custom sizes between 15" and 60".......:D ;) :D :D

Originally posted by Neil
Could you give me some info on the components? Such as what the nose cones, shock cords, fins ETC are made of? I know you say "thick plywood" on your webpage, but how thick, and how many plys?

I like the looks of the Sonic 3100 and the Warp 2... Could you give me some more info on those? Are all the prices on your webpage current?

Thanks!!

-Neil

Neil--

Like I said, I helped to build a Sonic 3100 awhile back. The kit was originally purchased as a Sonic 3100 Stage 2 by a guy named Rick Silver in the late 80s/early 90s. Sadly, Rick succumbed to cancer before he finished it. My friend Jason Ayers and I built the rocket in his memory.

The tubing was 1/4" thick white kraft paper tubing. The fins were 1/8th" 3-ply plywood. The nose cone was balsa.

You can see the kit parts here:
1073parts.jpg

We never built the lower stage. Again this is a kit that was designed and manufactured in the 80s. There is no room for a timer or staging device.

I still have the unfinished kit in the basement. I'll dig it out and take some pics.

Again tho, for the money, you can get a better kit elsewhere. Nothing personal in regards to Jerry or his company (if it exists)... I am just speaking heart to heart, one rocketeer to another.

Consequently, we never flew that rocket. We built another rocket that we painted silver and called it "The Silver Bullet" and flew a picture of Rick in the nose cone.

--Alex

The parts look nice enough... The price is a little high for my budget, though... I cant afford that much right now, even if LOC sells teh same thing for cheaper...:(

Ill have to keep this in mind, though..

This needs to stop. I have pulled 2 posts from this thread and edited Jerry's post. Jerry, you are welcome to go back and edit your post provided you stick to the topic at hand. The topic at hand is the quality of the kits and has nothing to do with any of the other topics being argued. Alex, please stick to the same topic as well.

We frequently discuss the "no politics" policy here, but another policy we have is that everybody here will treat everybody else with respect. For the most part, this has not been a problem, although this is not the first case.

These forums WILL NOT turn into a place for arguments like the one that took place here.

Jerry,

Would mind sharing with us your preferred method of building & finishing a USR HPR kit? In particular...

1) What adhesives (epoxy, wood glue, etc.) work best?

2) What is the best method of slotting the tubes for the fins?

3) What should be used to seal the balsa nose cone and/or fins (especially to retain maximum strength but minimal weight)?

4) Do you have any particular pointers or "gotchas" when finishing/painting USR kits?

5) Is there any problem with using rail buttons on your kits?

I know that different manufacturers/kits/components often require different techniques or methods. IMO, it's always best to hear about what's required directly from the vendor. Thanks for your response.

Jerry - I will say one thing; you certainly stir up a lot of controversy wherever you go.

As to USR Rockets I made my first purchase from this company a few months ago:

Easy Rider 38mm
Banshee
Piston Stager

I received a respectable discount, combined shipping and very favorable payment terms. It did take longer to ship the kits than I expected but the status was communicated via email and the shipment arrived in good order.

The only kit I have built and flown so far is the Banshee. The instructions were adequate and the parts were of good quality. I made a few minor alterations to suit my own preferences, but the kit would do just fine built as stock. My first flight was on an Estes 24mm E9-4 (the rocket will accept 29mm motors) and it was a great flight. I was a little skeptical with the streamer recovery for a rocket this size, but it worked better than I expected. Looking forward to flying this kit on 29mm motors when I have access to a bigger field.

The Easy Rider 38mm is similar in design to the Banshee, only bigger. The BT is a different type than I am used to and I have some work to do to "remove" the spirals. I am one of those fanatics that do not like to see those grooves in the BT. However, the BT has a thick wall and should hold up very well under 38mm motors.

All in all I am pleased with my first order from US Rockets and I don't think it will be my last. Overall I would give the kits a "3.8" out of "5". And by the way I haven't built a kit yet I would give a "5" and I have built kits from BSD, PML, LOC, Cosmodrome, Estes, Quest, Sandman a.k.a. Roachwerks to name a few.

Just my $0.02

Originally posted by lalligood
Jerry,

Would mind sharing with us your preferred method of building & finishing a USR HPR kit? In particular...

1) What adhesives (epoxy, wood glue, etc.) work best?

2) What is the best method of slotting the tubes for the fins?

3) What should be used to seal the balsa nose cone and/or fins (especially to retain maximum strength but minimal weight)?

4) Do you have any particular pointers or "gotchas" when finishing/painting USR kits?

5) Is there any problem with using rail buttons on your kits?

I know that different manufacturers/kits/components often require different techniques or methods. IMO, it's always best to hear about what's required directly from the vendor. Thanks for your response.

Real questions!!

This is sooo refreshing as compared to rmr!

1) Yellow wood glue. Aliphatic resin.
www.rocketmaterials.org

2) I do it the old fashioned way. With a sharp x-acto knife, but only a small amount at a time (thin cut layers) to get goodr esults.

3) Good old fashioned sanding sealer (any Home Depot or hobby store). Two coats, sand with 320 or 240, seal again, sand again almost to the wood, seal, sand with 400. GLASS smooth.

4) Use enamel paint. Use laquer sealers.

5) Rail buttons rock. Considering adding them to ALL kits.

Other: POINT!

Just Jerry

Originally posted by bsexton

The Easy Rider 38mm is similar in design to the Banshee, only bigger. The BT is a different type than I am used to and I have some work to do to "remove" the spirals. I am one of those fanatics that do not like to see those grooves in the BT. However, the BT has a thick wall and should hold up very well under 38mm motors.

All in all I am pleased with my first order from US Rockets and I don't think it will be my last. Overall I would give the kits a "3.8" out of "5". And by the way I haven't built a kit yet I would give a "5" and I have built kits from BSD, PML, LOC, Cosmodrome, Estes, Quest, Sandman a.k.a. Roachwerks to name a few.

Just my $0.02

Spirals: Bondo. I stopped removing spirals in 1982 :)

What do you give a typical ESTES kit (best engineered product in the industry)? USR is designed as a mass-market line so necessarily has compromises.

Jerry

LOC Rocks!

Cool.... I hope I win that "virtual rocket" contest over on EMRR... Theres a USR kit on the prize table...:cool: I forget what its called :)o ) but it looks cool.:rolleyes: ;) Then if I really like it, ill sink my $$ into a Sonic 3100:cool:

it went together easily and the parts appear to be of high quality. I'll post a complete review in the kit review section when i get a chance.

Back