U.S. Rocket Motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkmilion

Reaction score
I was looking around at all the motors everyone has to offer a while back and didn't think much of it until recently. I was glancing through a Sport Rocketry Magazine and saw that U.S. Rocket motors weren't on the certified motors list. I curious to know does that make them illegal or if it isn't then how do they get away with selling them?

US Rocket motors are not legal... that is one reason why they are not certified. I do not think they have valid EX numbers for their propellants, so they are not legal to ship anyway.

If you buy them, you risk getting in trouble... that is assuming that JI even ships you your order. He has jipped many people...

you mean I can't fly a USR at a non nar/tra launch,,,,,
bummer ..lol

I think as long as the launch is not TRA or NAR sanctioned then you can fly these motors. They are not certified motors, but I do not know about them being legal.

Originally posted by n3tjm
US Rocket motors are not legal... that is one reason why they are not certified. I do not think they have valid EX numbers for their propellants, so they are not legal to ship anyway.

If you buy them, you risk getting in trouble... that is assuming that JI even ships you your order. He has jipped many people...
Everyone, make sure you have all of your facts straight before you post something as being a definitive answer. The way I understand it, US Rockets doesn't possess valid EX numbers from the Department of Transportation which makes "shipping" motors illegal. That doesn't make purchasing, owning or using US Rockets motors illegal! You can't use them at TRA or NAR sanctioned launches but you can use them at a non-affiliated launch. Once again, I reiterate, this is what I understand to be the situation. When it comes to US Rockets, there are a lot of unknowns. Everyone wanting to do business with US Rockets should research the vendor and make sure they'll get what they're paying for. An informed consumer is a better and happier consumer. ;)

I agree with Mark. there are a number of interesting motors on USR's website, but my in researching the company, I found what Mark said. It is not clear what motors listed on the website are in production, or if any are available. Since the motors are not certified, my guess is that they are semi-custom runs, and that production is spotty at best, including considerable wait times after an order is placed. I have emailed the company for a list of vendors, but have received no response.

Originally posted by MarkABrown
Everyone, make sure you have all of your facts straight before you post something as being a definitive answer. The way I understand it, US Rockets doesn't possess valid EX numbers from the Department of Transportation which makes "shipping" motors illegal. That doesn't make purchasing, owning or using US Rockets motors illegal! You can't use them at TRA or NAR sanctioned launches but you can use them at a non-affiliated launch. Once again, I reiterate, this is what I understand to be the situation. When it comes to US Rockets, there are a lot of unknowns. Everyone wanting to do business with US Rockets should research the vendor and make sure they'll get what they're paying for. An informed consumer is a better and happier consumer. ;)

My reaserch of USR has found no valid ATF manufacturing permit (LEMP or HEMP). APCP rocket motors cannot be legally sold without this licence. There is also no valid DOT paper work, so the motors cannot be shipped either.

If a USR rep walked up and handed me a motor for free, I wouldn't take it.

Hey Jeff,

I wonder if Apogee has all those permits for thier F10 and E6 motors? What about LEMP or HEMP's? I don't think so. They don't make them. I don't think USR makes motors either. Not anymore anyway. I could be wrong but I think with USR it's just a label.

Distribution of thier motors does seem to be an issue. Some states and countries have more restrictions than others on such items.

Clearly they have some issues to be worked out before they will be obtainable to rocketeers. I think it's being worked on. I think things would be easier if the US consumers and regulatiors would follow UN guidelines like the rest of the world is trying to do. The issues would be black and white at that point.

I'm not a USR customer or anything I just don't like to see anyone 'shut out' based on comments in one thread. If I could find some I would fly them.

Layne Rossi

I won't continue a USR thread here. I'll leave that to RMR. Suffice it to say that it is well known who manufactures the Apogee motors.

aerotech manufactures the apogee composite motors.....and then they are relabled as apogee.....
as for the apogee 10.5mm BP competition motors, they were more or less hand made by Tim himself....as far as their paperwork trail I do not know nor care....

as far as "Jerry's motors" go, they would only be legal to purchase and use by non NAR/TRA members in non NFPA compliant states(approx. 20 states)......so go figure......

Back