U.S. Army Patriot M-104 build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kandsrockets

Reaction score
I am doing a upscale of the Estes U.S. Army Patriot M-104. I scaled up the estes model to work in a LOC 3" tube. I will be using this for my L1 test for TRA. This will have a 38mm motor mount. I have not decided on the reload yet. I am hoping to have this built for a may 19th local TRA launch, if not for sure in june. I am waiting on the motor mount centering rings. I have the fins traced out and should have them cut out and sanded this weekend. I will post pics of the build.

Picture.jpg

Looks like a good start. The Patriot is one of my favorites among scale models. Keep the pictures coming and good luck with your L1 attempt. Hey, I have the Estes Patriot M-104 graphics redrawn (in Corel Draw12) and upspscaled for a 4" M-104 Patriot. I did this for a friend's L2 cert project (photo below). If you want the file send me a PM with your email address, or you can call Scott Binder of Binder Sign and Design and he will do the required scaling for you and print and cut the vinyl graphics. He does great work and his prices are quite reasonable. Or you can have my file and do your own, or you may already have the graphics taken care of...

Cheers,
SE

IMG_0295.jpg

The patriot, guardian and bull pup have always been my favorite rockets, so I figured why not do one of them for my L1 project. As for the graphics, I am going to paint them on. It will be a combo of the estes decals and pictures I have of a patriot missle.

Got my centering rings today so I started to build the motor mount. I am using 30 minute epoxy on this build. You can also see the start of my payload section for my backup rocket for when I take my L1.

Picture001.jpg

Originally posted by krsconstruction
snip.... I have not decided on the reload yet....snip

Might I suggest one of the AT Redlines?
H148R is nice for a L1 cert.
Or the AMW I220 or I315 Skidmarks.

Based on what we talked about last night I would suggest a mild load like an H123.

Originally posted by plasticpaul
Based on what we talked about last night I would suggest a mild load like an H123.

I am looking at loads that will work in a aerotech 29-240 case. I want to keep it under 2500 ft since this is single deployment.

Originally posted by Fore Check
I did my L1 on an H165R in the 29/180 case. Sweet reload!

https://www.rocketryforum.com/attachment.php?postid=334449

However, if you're looking for something in the 29/240 case, may I suggest the H180W. THAT's a cool 29mm load! LOUD and fast!

Pay no mind to the launch angle in the attached pic. It was seriously windy and all was well. For reference on the flame size, that rocket is 4" in diameter and 37.5" long.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/attachment.php?postid=334467

The H180W is one of my choices on the list.......:D

Got the fins cut, installed and epoxyed. Now I just need to do some fillets and sand everything. Then it is off for primer. Here are a few pics.

Picture002.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Got it all painted. I have all the black parts being cut from sign vinyl and should be done tomorrow. Here she is beside my Graduator (the graduator has a 15" payload on it)

Picture006.jpg

Picture005.jpg

I see trouble.

The eye bolts are the kind that are bent rather than one piece. I have seen these open up and let go of the recovery harness. Ugly.

Just a suggestion, weld them shut or use something else, like U-Bolts or forged steel eye bolts.

Do not epoxy them shut, It won't hold.

Best of luck on the cert.

Latest posts

Back