Type 77 and fin cardstock lamination

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wwattles

Reaction score
For those of you who use 3M Type 77 adhesive for laminating your fins, I have a few questions:

1. Typically, what type of paper/cardstock do you use? I've been using 65 lb paper, but is that best?

2. Do you spray the paper or the wood or both?

3. How much do you spray onto the wood surface and the paper surface?

4. How long does it usually take to set, and pressed between what materials? (I waited an hour last night with mine sandwiched between 2 glass panes with a car battery on top, and it was still damp and the glue hadn't set. It peeled right off.)

Any help is appreciated! I'm trying to improve my finishing techniques here, but some of these details are escaping me!

WW

Use whatever material you want, even paper adds a lot of strength. Spray both surfaces, allow to tack up for a minute or two, then attach one edge and roll it on to prevent bubbles getting trapped. Just enough to coat the surface, too much creates a thick gummy layer which doesn't add any strength.

Word of caution - lay the stuff down outside on the driveway when you spray, with newspaper to catch the overspray. Do NOT use this stuff indoors, the fumes are awful and not good for you to breath. Human lungs don't like being coated with aerosolized adhesives.

It bonds almost instantly, pretty much like contact adhesive. Check the can for recommended wait times.

I don't like the stuff anymore, personally. I use urethane adhesives (i.e. 'gorilla glue') for laminating, spread on real thin with a glue roller and pressed beneath heavy weights. It forms a much stronger bond and never lets go (spray 77 has a tendancy to delaminate easily).

I don't remember my methodology, but I, like vjp, do remember that I don't like it. Very messy and results were not as good as other methods. I took mine off and started over. It was real fun to remove that glue...yuk.

Back