TXLog - an Eggfinder accessory

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I already have a Bluetooth module connected to my LCD. Is it ok to connect both a Bluetooth module and an Openlog to the LCD or can I only use one at a time?
Yes, connect only the two power wires and the RXD line on the OpenLog. Do not connect the TXD line on the OpenLog... it's receiving data only.

Yes, connect only the two power wires and the RXD line on the OpenLog. Do not connect the TXD line on the OpenLog... it's receiving data only.

Thanks Cris. I would rather have the openlog on my LCD than connected to my Eggfinder. Time to make a wiring harness to connect both Bluetooth and openlog.

Made a pigtail to run both Bluetooth and Openlog. Walked a mini eggfinder up and down the street as a test. Bluetooth paired to tablet and Openlog recorded data.

Attachments

• 84AEF5BB-50BA-4943-B667-F47D69D17818.jpeg
    84AEF5BB-50BA-4943-B667-F47D69D17818.jpeg
    66.8 KB · Views: 33
I've been searching around and not seen an answer to this question. The Eggfinder broadcasts data over RF at 1/sec, but samples data at 20/sec. Does the OpenLog record at the 1x/sec, or 20x/sec, or something in between? Understand the data rate to the OpenLog is 9600 BAUD, but I'm not smart enough about that stuff to figure out what that means for recording rate, which will logically be controlled by what the Eggfinder puts on the wires.

I guess my question really comes down to, will I get a much better data rate or quality from this than I would from just logging the RF transmissions from the dongle? Will it eliminate latency?

Maybe this is so obvious that most interested people know without asking, or maybe people are just so excited they don't discuss it and dive in and find out once they already have the hardware.

Thanks, from a non-sparky.

The GPS data is only at 1x/sec... our altimeters typically sample data is sampled at 20x/second. I can see where you may be confused. The OpenLog is going to record exactly what goes to the transmitter module, which is the NMEA GPS data. If you are using an Eggtimer TRS, you'll also get the telemetry data (altitude, deployment channel status, Ham call sign) tacked onto the end of the GPS data every second.

BTW, for those of you who have the older B6/B7 TX's and want to add an OpenLog module, we still have a few of the adapters... they're $5.

Back