Two Stage Rocket Idea

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
Well, I was playing with Rsim, a 2" mailing tube, and a LOC 54MM motor mount, and I noticed that the mailing tube fits in the LOC tube like a tube coupler... So I was wondering, if I cut slots in the forward end of the booster tube (LOC tube), and slid the sustainer (mailing tube) into it, so the fins were nested in the slots on the forward end of the booster, it could just shoot out when the booster lit, leaving the booster to deploy with engine-ejection, with an RCC2X for deployment in the sustainer, and a timer (which should be here by Aug. 10) for motor ignition...

This is a little difficult to do in Rocksim, but heres a file that should give you the general idea... I still cant get the parachute to come out in the sims... Is there a trick to doing it with a two-staged rocket? :confused:

So what do you think of this plan? The mailing tube is kind of like a full-lenth tube coupler, 24" long. I used the standard fins that Rsim automatically puts on for the booster, and smaller versions of the same fins on the sustainer, making a nice simple (for a 2 stage rocket, of course) 2 stage 2" diameter rocket that should be able to fly on I-H max... The booster would have a 38MM motor mount, the sustainer, a 29MM.

The Max-min rule of thumb that Dan (I think it was Dan...) told me about would be an I218R to an E16W... Its stable by 3 calibers with that motor combination off the pad, and once it stages, its stable by 2.41 calibers. Since these numbers are so big, should I make the booster fins a little smaller, or leave them be?

Heres my rocksim model for this rocket... Theres definetly still room for some changes if it needs them...

Oh, and this is going to be a dual deployment bird for those high altitude flights...

Well, this mailing tube was a little loose, so I found a 36" long version thats a little bigger so it fits better, and has more room for the chute and motor mount and stuff. Heres the updated rsim.

Well, it sounds like it could work.. I think... Be sure to put something to stop the sustainer thrust scorching the booster chute... Other that, it sounds fine.. I think...

EDIT: ill get on the other computer and look at the sim...

me Dan? I had nothing to do with any of this;) I can't see your Rocksim files because I never bought the upgrade

Actually, your Super Glotova had nothing to do with it... After I look at your pictures again, the super glotovia without the Recruits does look a little similar... But just a little. I had another 2 stage 2" rocket design, but this one seems better to me... ;)

OK, I must be thinking of someone else... After midnight, I start to get a little confused. ;) :D :p

In the sim, there is a coupler that i will be putting a bulkhead on to keep the chute from getting scorched.

There would be 2" from the front of the rocket to the bulkhead assembly, then 3 or 4" of coupler tube, the chute, and the motor mount.

The booster would fire, then the sustainer would light, blowing the sustainer out of the booster, allowing the booster to fly free. The booster would seperate at the coupler that protects the chute, and it would recover on a 22" chute. Then the upper stage would pop a bright yellow streamer at apoggee (for visability. 30 feet of caution tape should do it, I think...), and a main chute (28") at 300 or 500 feet (which is best for a rocket like this?)

Im thinking the fins should be .125" plywood, TTW. The CRs would be .25" ply.

The shock cords would be braided nylon... Ive found that if you braid about 10-15' of that cheap twisted nylon, you get a very strong relatively high quality, inexpensive shock cord... Plus it gives me something to do all the time... ;) It takes me about an hour to braid 20' of nylon... Its a good relaxing thing to do when I cant sleep at night, too.

Back