Two-stage recovery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blike

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I'm looking at sending a rocket up over 5000 feet, but I don't want have to walk a mile to recover it. I've heard that people do "two-stage" recoveries, where an altimeter ejects an initial streamer or drag chute, and then at a much lower altitude it will deploy the main chute.

However, I don't have a clue as to go about designing and executing this. I plan on purchasing an altimeter with that capability, but I don't know anything about making my own ejection charge. Does anyone have any links or information that will help guide me in the right direction?

Thanks!!

I couldn't pass up a dual deployment thread without posting my dual delpoy drawing that I always post. :D Hope it helps, but as it is only a drawing you will probably question some things on it. I will be getting a digital cam any day now; then I can post some pics of it. The whole thing, chute and all, is designed to fit in a 1.6" x 2' tube.

How reliable is this system, may I ask. Does the drogue streamer ever get caught with the main chute? When the streamer ejects, do the two body sections bump into each other?
-Matthew

Back