Two Stage Flight with Video Stabilization

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was the cleanest onboard video I've ever seen. Are you planning on releasing plans or parts for this project?

Yep. I think I'll take the rest of the season to clean things up (the code is still a bit of a mess) and then I'll put the code, Gerber files and CAD files on GitHub. It really will be only a starting point for someone with the needed skills. I've built five NoseCams so far and each one is different. But for likeminded individuals who enjoy this kind of fun (pain) it should be a good starting point !

Awesome stuff!! That’s a great idea, certainly simpler than trying to use active control (aka canards) to roll stabilize the rocket.

But I’m also curious to how you made the “slow burn” KNSB motor. Did you aim for a lower chamber pressure, or some other compound mixed with the propellant (probably a side effect of the “sparky”?) or even a different grain geometry? Could you share a little more about that?

That was the cleanest onboard video I've ever seen. Are you planning on releasing plans or parts for this project?
The interesting thing about this build - which differentiates it from many similar projects - is that it's completely self-contained: It's just a nose cone. If you're talking about canards or rollerons etc. etc. you pretty much have to build the rocket around them. But anyone could take this 3" NC, plop it on top of virtually any 3" rocket, and get a flight with good video. Would be easy to commercialize, as such.

The interesting thing about this build - which differentiates it from many similar projects - is that it's completely self-contained: It's just a nose cone. If you're talking about canards or rollerons etc. etc. you pretty much have to build the rocket around them. But anyone could take this 3" NC, plop it on top of virtually any 3" rocket, and get a flight with good video. Would be easy to commercialize, as such.
I did want the entire thing to be self-contained in the nose. And I definitely swap the noses around between rockets.

The one thing that is non-negotiable is that you will never need to add weight to the nose again ! The latest 3" nose comes in at just under 2 pounds. I did build them a bit sturdy, so I could probably lose a few ounces next time. But it's just an excuse to use a bigger motor :cool:

Back