Two Dozen Deuce's

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaneKG

Reaction score
Folks,

We have planned a Deuce's Wild Mass Launch of Two Dozen Deuce's at the SEARS 572 launch for February 12th 2005 in Samson, AL. This is the first aniversary of the Tour De Deuce for Alabama. At that launch, in addition to launching the offical DWs, we mass launched ten DWs.
320_sample_01.jpg

The Tour De Deuce was originated by Eugenio Cebollero and Jason Toft. See this link for the trek of two DWs through the fifty states of the USA. The Deuce's Wild is a unique two motor cluster. The motors are canted giving you two distinct smoke trails. The DW is a product of Fliskits. It is just one of a fleet of original rockets.

I'd love to have Eugenio, Jason, and slim_t back to Alabama for the launch. Our mass launch controller has twenty four circuits. So you will need a clip whip or twist the igniter leads.

Everyone is welcome and bring any spin-off of the Deuce's Wild concept you have. If you intend to come please reply here or send an email I realize this a bit in advance.

Greg Lane

Greg,

I've really been wanting to get to another SEARS launch, but haven't been able to for some reason or another. I've been keeping up with the SEARS launches and all the cool events I've missed out on. I'll try my best to get to this one, and bring a couple of Deuce's.

Tim

Ooh...this is far enough off that I can plan for this. We'll see how everything works out! I'd love to come! Maybe this time we won't get stuck in the mud with our rental car! :eek: :p

Jason

Originally posted by jetra2
Ooh...this is far enough off that I can plan for this. We'll see how everything works out! I'd love to come! Maybe this time we won't get stuck in the mud with our rental car! :eek: :p

Jason

Greg, is Samson the same plowed field or is Samson the nice grassy field? Either way, I think we can swing this one *and* avoid getting stuck in mud. Jason and I might make a trip in my little Nissan if we have to. :) If anyone could put us up for the night that would be a huge added bonus. All we'd need is a piece of covered ground to sleep on and a porch light on for our late arrival. :)

Jason, don't forget about NEFAR in March unless that can be postponed.

As for Deuces, I have two of my own that I can bring *and* my 29mm beast. I have parts for a 24mm but haven't gotten around to starting the construction. Hmm... so many rocketry events, such a little wallet! :eek:

Guys

It is a nice grassy field at Samson.

samsonareialview_small.jpg

No one has gotten stuck at Samson. Thanks for including this in your plans. We should be able to arrange for sleeping quarters. Would that be for the night before or after or both?

Thanks,

Greg

Now SEARS is going to launch at the plowed field in Headland for Dec and Jan, but back to Samson in Feb.

Greg-

Samson doesn't appear to be that big a place, but the <a href="https://sears572.com/">SEARS572</a> web site is
lacking maps and directions. Maybe they're there, and I just can't find the
magic link. :) Can you post some directions or a link to an online map?

This sounds like it'll be a lot of fun! Count my son and I (and maybe the wife & daughter) IN.

I wonder how many Florida TRFer's we can get to show up?

How about cheap hotel/motel accommedations? Is is best to try and get something
back around I-10 or are there good places locally?

brianc,

Come on up!

I'll work on the web site to make the directions easier to find. Use Map Quest to get directions to Samson

https://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&address=&city=Samson&state=AL

From the intersection of AL 52 and AL87 (downtown Samson), go west on 52 0.9 miles to County 17 and turn right. Go 0.8 miles on County 17; with a cemetery on the right, and just past a pond, turn left onto a wide graded dirt road. You will come to a short paved section and at 0.4 miles onto this road turn left onto one lane dirt road down into woods. Cross railroad track and continue straight ahead past the sod farm offices into the middle of the field.

samsondetails.jpg

I'll do some research on hotels. I am thinking the best bet are hotels on I 10 near Defuniak Springs. Samson is about an hour north of I 10.

The nearest city with lots of choices in hotels is Dothan, AL. Samson is a 50 minute drive from Dothan.

We would love to have as many TRFers as are willing to come for the Two Dozen Deuces event and launch.

Thanks,

Greg

Remind me again a couple weeks before the launch. It's about 7 hours from where I live, I'd come into Dothan on US 84. If I'm free, I could come. I have a stock Deuce and my 54mm version.

Rocketjunkie,

I'll definitely remind you. That would be excellent to meet you and see a 54mm DW. Thanks for the TRF support.

Thanks,

Greg

The Two Dozen Deuce's Mass Launch is scheduled for February 12th in Samson AL. If it is looking good for you to attend let me know (how many DWs) and I'll add you to the Deuce's Wild Mass Launch Talley I am keeping at

https://www.sears572.com/phorum/read.php?3,207,207#207

If you need assistance with overnight arrangements let me know and we will see if we can help.

Thanks,

Greg

Jim,

We would love to have you. Next best thing, if you ship one of your Deuce's down to me I'll see that it gets flown in the Mass Launch and I'll cover the return shipping. We are doing a field of dreams thing here. 24 rod launcher The Deuce's will come!

Thanks,

Greg

Greg, I just got my wife's schedule and she has to work that evening. If I come down, I'll only be able to be there from about 12 p.m. to 2 p.m. That's not much, so I don't know if I'll make it yet. Have you planned a time that you want to do the launch?
I may just have to mail you my Deuce like you proposed to Jim. Would that be alright?

Tim

slim_t

Yes same deal ship it down and I'll ship it back. Or Marty Wiggins of SEARS 572 is in Millbrook, AL. If you can get up with him. He should be coming down.

Thanks,

Greg

We may need proxy launches to make two dozen.

Thanks Greg;

I'm trying to get my wife to swap with someone so I can stay longer. I'll let you know as soon as I can.

Tim

Originally posted by LaneKG
Jim,

We would love to have you. Next best thing, if you ship one of your Deuce's down to me I'll see that it gets flown in the Mass Launch and I'll cover the return shipping. We are doing a field of dreams thing here. 24 rod launcher The Deuce's will come!

Thanks,

Greg

Interesting, cuz i was thinking just that. maybe my kit and my 13mm Deuce of Hazzard... LOL

Send me an email as a reminder, with your address and I will see what I can do. this'd be a hoot :)

jim

Originally posted by brianc
This sounds like it'll be a lot of fun! Count my son and I (and maybe the wife & daughter) IN.

Dang it! It turns out my son's Cub Scout Pack has the Arrow of Light campout
this same weekend. So, despite my attempts to convince my son otherwise,
it looks like we won't be able to attend. :(

Ya'll have fun and take lots of pictures to post!

It looks like I'll be heading out your way. I have 1 standard size Deuce if needed for the mass launch. I'll bring my 54 mm Deuce and Tres also.

Will there be a motor vendor on site? Do I need to pre order motors. I have a LEUP.

Originally posted by Rocketjunkie
It looks like I'll be heading out your way. I have 1 standard size Deuce if needed for the mass launch. I'll bring my 54 mm Deuce and Tres also.

Will there be a motor vendor on site? Do I need to pre order motors. I have a LEUP.

Brian, are you SURE you can't make it? Wow...a 54mm Deuce AND a 54mm Tres!!! I'm still on the fence on whether I can make it or not.

Rocketjunkie,

We are definitely looking forward to your 54mm DW. Wow!

Yep and do bring the stock version too.

We do not have a vendor.

Thanks,

Greg

Greg;

I am really sorry I have not been in touch this week.
We broke ground on our new house Monday, and of course cut the phone line on day 1 (new house is being built in front of current home). I just got it repaired today. Unfortunately I'm not going to make it to the launch. Sorry I couldn't get in touch with you to mail my DW. I really hate that I'm going to miss all those Deuce's and the big deuce. :(
Good luck with the launch and hope you all have a great time. I know you will, the weather's supposed to be great.

Now if we can just get a long stretch of great weather to build this house. It's going to have a rocket room. :D

Tim

I am hoping to get my Deuce cleaned up and in the mail on Tuesday (I know i'm cuttin' it close, but... :) )

jim

Tim,

No problem! I hope you can make a future SEARS 572 Launch. This may become an annual event.

Good Luck with building your house!

Greg

Jim,

Thanks for the effort to get your DW's down our way. Looking forward to it. We will be taking Hi Res pics this time.

Thanks,

Greg

Well I feel like an idiot now. I thought the launch was this weekend, Feb. 5. :rolleyes:
I see now that it is next weekend. Maybe I will make it. I'll have to see how things go with the house this week and just play it by ear so to speak. Wish me luck.

Tim

We all had a great time at the launch Saturday. Skies were mostly clear with very little wind early, building to around 10 mph later.

Here's Jack's AMRAAM 3 on an I357:

Back