The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yukon@K-9 Rocket Tech

Student, Drone and Rockets, Aspiring Engineer
Reaction score

Hi everyone! I have decided to do a TVC hold down test recently which resulted in a CATO failure of the E 12-4 motor. The notorius Estes E-12 motors! I have gotten a ton of data from this test (especially the high speed footage) and can't wait to do more tests soon after I finish another TVC Test Vehicle!

-Yukon

Also this is what a sucessful TVC test I did previously looks like. Yes different, but it should've looked somthing like this

Last edited by a moderator:
It did not explode or detonate, but it did suffer a CATOstrophic failure, apparently from overpressure.

I only mention it because you seem to have a real passion for investigation and education.

Thanks for the great work!

Well, we learn from every failure, right? This time we learned not to use E9 or E12 motors when expensive equipment is at risk ;).

Hmmm, if you're going to plug it to seal off hot gasses from damaging your equipment maybe use epoxy instead of hot glue? Just a thought.
And maybe remove the ejection charge? or use an E12-0?
1691-E12-0-Engine.jpg

Or don't plug it, just put in a bulkhead between the motor and your equipment and let the motor kick out?

Last edited:
Yes the Ejection charge was removed. It surely was un-noticed ctacks in the propellant. I really should use a E-12-0 next time or a different motor. Epoxy is a good idea! I just used hot glue because Joe Barnard was doing that too

Hmmm, if you're going to plug it to seal off hot gasses from damaging your equipment maybe use epoxy instead of hot glue? Just a thought.
And maybe remove the ejection charge? or use an E12-0?
View attachment 395327

It did not explode or detonate, but it did suffer a CATOstrophic failure, apparently from overpressure.

I only mention it because you seem to have a real passion for investigation and education.

Thanks for the great work!

Well, we learn from every failure, right? This time we learned not to use E9 or E12 motors when expensive equipment is at risk ;).

Yes thank you! Right after this, multiple people exlained to me the un reliability of E motors. Also I need a better way to contain the CATO, rather than having a flight computer rigjt above the propulsion and control section Lol!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back