TV worth watching

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobby_hamill

Reaction score
It is on now but will be on again this Thursday

Charter Channel 128
American Heroes Channel
Hardcore Heroes
Soaring to new heights

gives the story on Joe Kittinger's parachute jump

and John Stapp's rocket sled runs

I didn't know Joe Kittinger was shot down and a POW for 1 year in Vietnam

This show will be back on on Charter 128 Thursday from 2-3 PM

Watch it if you can!

Bobby

I copied this from a website about John Stapp:

During his work at Holloman Air Force Base, Stapp became interested in the implications of his work for car safety. At the time, cars were generally not fitted with seatbelts, but Stapp had shown that a properly restrained human could survive far greater impacts than an unrestrained one. Many traffic-accident deaths were therefore avoidable but for the lack of seatbelts. Stapp became a strong advocate and publicist for this cause, frequently steering interviews onto the subject, organizing conferences, and staging demonstrations (including the first known use of automobile crash test dummies). At one point, the military objected to funding work they believed was outside their purview, but they were persuaded when Stapp gave them statistics showing that more Air Force pilots were killed in traffic accidents than in plane crashes. The culmination of his efforts came in 1966 when Stapp witnessed Lyndon B. Johnson sign the law making manufacture of cars with seatbelts (lapbelts at that time) compulsory.

I have seen a photo of this event with Colonel Stapp looking over the President's shoulder as he signs the bill, but I can't find it right now.

Dr. Stapp: a great American Hero!

I agree, but I wonder if he didn't have a few screws loose. Some of the stuff he did was beyond crazy. And he was a freakin' DOCTOR no less!!!

Back