TV Goofs

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Waiting for my old job to end, and my new job to begin, I've been watching a lot of YouTube. I found Ba Ba Black Sheep... Besides the name changes and other numerous Hollyweird story elements, I heard something that I thought was pretty odd...

In the 2nd season, there's an episode "Sheep in the Limelight". One of the pilots is injured during a dog flight. He manages to land, and is pulled out of the smoking plane unconscious. Like many shows from the day, no blood is visible on him, yet a nurse calls out for 15 units of blood for him. A unit of blood is 1 pint, and the average human body has only 10... Dang, I guess this guy was feeling a bit drained.

So, what other TV shows have you going to Google to check facts?

Oh, and Dr. Charles R. Drew, the African American doctor who is credited with developing improved methods for blood storage did not die from being refused admittance to a "white only" hospital following a automotive collision as cited in an episode of M*A*S*H.

The single biggest TV goof is turning it on.

But that aside, you gotta love the three minute DNA tests on the cops/crime shows. Hilarious! I also like the car wrecks. Guy running from the cops driving 90 thru the streets, comes up behind a parked car, and instead of slamming into it, goes flying into the air and flips. I know I always put a ramp at my rear bumper when I park on the street, don't you?

You've reminded me of one of the most common form of Hollyweird mythology... The bullet proof car. While I've never tried it myself, and I hope never to have the need, a car's door only offers scant protection from a bullet. Hiding behind a single door is practically useless, two isn't much better. Sure, it makes it hard for the shooter to aim for vital organs, but it won't stop a bullet.

Oh, and Dr. Charles R. Drew, the African American doctor who is credited with developing improved methods for blood storage did not die from being refused admittance to a "white only" hospital following a automotive collision as cited in an episode of M*A*S*H.

Many years ago I saw his daughter on a talk show and she said that he was taken to a "white hospital" after a serious car accident. His injuries were so severe that he could not be saved. A colleague who had been in the car was treated at the "white hospital" and transferred to a "black hospital" a few days later. However, this is not to say that this always happened. Sometimes black people were refused treatment at "white hospitals" even when their injuries were severe.

I love how you can choke someone to death in 10 seconds, and how you can sustain multiple punches to the face without being knocked unconscious, and then wake up without any bruises or broken bones. I love how someone can train to be an unstoppable fighting machine with a few lessons, and then take down dozens of opponents who are supposed to be professional killers.

I love how everyone flies "right-side-up" in outer space, and that explosions in outer space make lots of noise. I love how every wedding and funeral is always depicted as Roman Catholic, as if Protestants don't die or get married. And I love how high-schoolers can hack into any computer system anywhere at any time, including the NSA and the Chinese government, the police department, and NRO satellites.

I love how the NSA has agents that carry guns and try to assassinate people who leak information, and how anybody can defuse a bomb if he just thinks it through. I love how people with a security clearance can suddenly clear other people in the field without a polygraph, background investigation, or their signature on non-disclosure agreements.

I love how a guy with two bionic legs can run 60 mph, despite the inability of the rest of his body being able to keep up. I love how a guy with a bionic arm can lift several tons without snapping his biological spine. I love how people who get hit by bullets are launched backwards at a high rate of speed, despite the fact that the handgun did not propel the shooter backwards at all. I love how a six-shooter can be fired at least a dozen times without having to be reloaded.

I love how foreigners always speak English, even when they are alone together. I love how the President can always find a way to ditch his highly-trained Secret Service agents.

I love how a woman born blind, deaf, and mute can learn how to talk and to write. Oh, wait. That really did happen. Helen Keller was a true miracle.

In sort of a rocketry related one - When watching "I Dream of Jeannie" look for the mountains in the background (in Cocoa Beach, Florida).

-- Roger

I love how you can choke someone to death in 10 seconds, and how you can sustain multiple punches to the face without being knocked unconscious, and then wake up without any bruises or broken bones. I love how someone can train to be an unstoppable fighting machine with a few lessons, and then take down dozens of opponents who are supposed to be professional killers.

I love how everyone flies "right-side-up" in outer space, and that explosions in outer space make lots of noise. I love how every wedding and funeral is always depicted as Roman Catholic, as if Protestants don't die or get married. And I love how high-schoolers can hack into any computer system anywhere at any time, including the NSA and the Chinese government, the police department, and NRO satellites.

I love how the NSA has agents that carry guns and try to assassinate people who leak information, and how anybody can defuse a bomb if he just thinks it through. I love how people with a security clearance can suddenly clear other people in the field without a polygraph, background investigation, or their signature on non-disclosure agreements.

I love how a guy with two bionic legs can run 60 mph, despite the inability of the rest of his body being able to keep up. I love how a guy with a bionic arm can lift several tons without snapping his biological spine. I love how people who get hit by bullets are launched backwards at a high rate of speed, despite the fact that the handgun did not propel the shooter backwards at all. I love how a six-shooter can be fired at least a dozen times without having to be reloaded.

I love how foreigners always speak English, even when they are alone together. I love how the President can always find a way to ditch his highly-trained Secret Service agents.

I love how a woman born blind, deaf, and mute can learn how to talk and to write. Oh, wait. That really did happen. Helen Keller was a true miracle.

Helen Keller was blinded and deafened by Scarlet Fever or meningitis as a toddler.

I love how planes magically change from one to another whenever they crash aboard an aircraft carrier. I'd love to do a spoof where one plane, say a F-35, is crashing aboard a nuclear carrier, changes to a F-14, an F-4 Phantom, a F-9F Panther, then a F-4U Corsair, and/or a Hellcat, and finally stops as a biplane on a wooden decked flat top.

Last edited:
TV Myths: Scuba tanks explode like cases of dynamite, huge explosions nearby leave you unharmed, when you aren't read your Mirada rights you're set free, shotguns blow you 6 feet and out a window, strike a lighter under one fire sprinkler and ALL of them go off in the bldg, cars blowup on impact, Christians are extremists bible thumpers, most of McGiver's gags.......

I thought Christians were always the villain....

Jim mentioned M*A*S*H. How about the fact that the Korean War lasted eleven years on TV?

Rockets change a lot when tv shows or movies rip off NASA file footage. Supposedly a manned mission at liftoff looks like an unmanned rocket then it's another rocket when it blows up.

I thought Christians were always the villain....

Jim mentioned M*A*S*H. How about the fact that the Korean War lasted eleven years on TV?

Truth be told, the Korean War is still on. Neither side has formally signed a peace treaty.

Helen Keller was blinded and deafened by Scarlet Fever or meningitis as a toddler.

I love how planes magically change from one to another whenever they crash aboard an aircraft carrier. I'd love to do a spoof where one plane, say a F-35, is crashing aboard a nuclear carrier, changes to a F-14, an F-4 Phantom, a F-9F Panther, then a F-4U Corsair, and/or a Hellcat, and finally stops as a biplane on a wooden decked flat top.

In One of the Transformers movies (the first or second, it's not worth the investment of time to look it up), the aircraft carrier changes hull numbers 4 times.

In sort of a rocketry related one - When watching "I Dream of Jeannie" look for the mountains in the background (in Cocoa Beach, Florida).

-- Roger

If you want one like that, check out all the foothills outside Dodge City, Kansas on "Gunsmoke." Kinda gives it away.

Anything physics-related in Bollywood films are hilarious.

The side-sliding horse in this makes me lose it. :roll:

[video=youtube;PHgUjlUYDNk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHgUjlUYDNk&feature=youtu.be[/video]

If you want one like that, check out all the foothills outside Dodge City, Kansas on "Gunsmoke." Kinda gives it away.

Interesting bit of trivia - the same backlot set that was Mayberry also appeared in the Star Trek TOS episodes "Miri" and "City on the Edge of Forever". They didn't even change the window signage on Floyd's Barber Shop in one!

Interesting bit of trivia - the same backlot set that was Mayberry also appeared in the Star Trek TOS episodes "Miri" and "City on the Edge of Forever". They didn't even change the window signage on Floyd's Barber Shop in one!

As featured in the book, "How to Get by on a Budget." :wink:

OK, how about those 6 shooters that can shoot...what 8,10 and even 12 shots without reloading after throwing the bullets out of the barrel and can out shoot a rifle! Then there are all those flesh wounds that the hero gets, but the bad guy needs three or more shots to be killed while clinging to the bar or table. And finally, the hair on the hero never gets mussed up even after being hit with a whiskey bottle...Happy trails to you.

In One of the Transformers movies (the first or second, it's not worth the investment of time to look it up), the aircraft carrier changes hull numbers 4 times.

Well, maybe it transforms. :facepalm:

Biggest goof I ever saw on TV is Ashton Kutcher and if he's the genius that people say he is I'm turning in my Mensa card......

I guess that's a biplane!!--secret-plane.jpg

I'll offer this as an example of an avoidable goof that wasn't due to budgets or sets being reused. It is especially heinous because the program did such a good job with its period setting.

In the first or second episode of Mad Men, Don Draper goes in for an insurance physical. They were very good about showing the doctor smoking, not uncommon in 1960. However, when the Doc was done taking Don's blood pressure, he draped the stethoscope around his neck like a scarf (a practice not started until the 1970s) and ripped the BP cuff off of the arm with a very distinct Velcro sound, not exactly the style in use at that time.

Thanks to the mods for keeping this thread free of posts that would get it shut down.

Pretty much every scene in every episode of Scorpion. An enjoyable show, but accuracy takes a back seat if it is even allowed on the bus at all. Probably the same thing for the new MacGyver. I watched the pilot and said ick. Not the MacGyver I watched years ago (not that his show was at all accurate).

The four classics for me are:

1. unlimited ammo
2. the bad guys can't ever hit the good guys
3. flesh wounds only
4. The the victim is running like the wind while the monster is slowly lumbering. Yet, when they trip the monster is immediately on them.

The four classics for me are:

1. unlimited ammo
2. the bad guys can't ever hit the good guys
3. flesh wounds only
4. The the victim is running like the wind while the monster is slowly lumbering. Yet, when they trip the monster is immediately on them.

I remember my dad pointing that out to me for the first time. He said something like, "Look, that girl is running as fast as she can, and what is the bad guy doing? He's walking. He's just walking slowly behind her. But every time they show both of them, he is only about ten feet behind her." That was like an epiphany for me. I never looked at horror movies the same way again.

Along the unlimited ammo line... How an army can unload tons of firepower on the hero(es), and yet only do property damage. Prime Example: The A Team

Why is it OK to kill every one of the bad guy's/gal's minions without a second thought, but you can't even think of shooting the bad guy/gal until you have a very dramatic scene?

Back