Tube sizes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacktango22

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am recently retired and back into the hobby. I have read the background of the Estes BT system etc., but want to l learn about the body tube sizes I see measured in inches and not part of the old BT protocol. Are there “standard“ sizes measured in inches?

thanks.

There are really no hard-and-fast rules here. Because Estes has long (always) been the dominant LPR vendor, its conventions tend to dominate LPR components (although old Centuri sizes are still around, to a limited degree). Once you start getting larger, into areas where Estes has much less presence and/or history things indeed typically go by diameter. The larger Estes tube sizes (BT60, 70, 80) are sort of in the crossover zone with MPR, so those size might be given in either BT or inches size, depending on the class of rocket. Above that it's almost always in terms of inches, despite the fact that there are Estes tube designations for some larger sizes.

Also of note: the Estes tube designations also imply a wall thickness and inner diameter; there might be non-Estes tubes that have similar measurements but thicker walls, so they're close but not quite the same.

When I got back into rocketry in 2015 one of the things I found strange and unfamiliar was the practice of categorizing larger rockets by diameter (4" rockets, 3" rockets, whatever). Eventually I got used to it. :)

The only ones I refer to as BT are 5 and 20 (13mm, 18mm) because everybody knows those. After that I call them 24 (mm) and 29 (mm) - because those are E/F motor mount sizes... and I don't want to say BT50 when I really mean BT55.. (why did they only jump 5 when the little ones jumped 15??) .. then everything after that gets referred to in inches. I know it's a mess, but works for me.
Tubes are designated by inside diameter. You need to note that larger tube sizes OD will differ because manufacturers other than Estes may use heavy wall tubes. And motor tubes can be extra thick. Check the dimensions at Balsa Machining and LOC Precision vs Estes.
And when you go buy a motor ... millimeters are your best friend.

Also of note: the Estes tube designations also imply a wall thickness and inner diameter; there might be non-Estes tubes that have similar measurements but thicker walls, so they're close but not quite the same.
Estes-type tubes will be thin wall, midpower and highpower tubes like LOC Precision and others will be thicker walled. It can certainly be confusing so you have to be sure you know exactly what component a person is talking about.
I normally think in terms of Estes designations for low power rockets, and LOC type parts for mid power. If someone says 24mm then I think of Estes BT50. I haven't seen them but I understand that Estes does/did manufacture 29mm black powder motors however when I hear 29mm I think of LOC tubing. People do build Estes kits and put high power motors in them.

Estes-type tubes will be thin wall, midpower and highpower tubes like LOC Precision and others will be thicker walled. It can certainly be confusing so you have to be sure you know exactly what component a person is talking about.
I normally think in terms of Estes designations for low power rockets, and LOC type parts for mid power. If someone says 24mm then I think of Estes BT50. I haven't seen them but I understand that Estes does/did manufacture 29mm black powder motors however when I hear 29mm I think of LOC tubing. People do build Estes kits and put high power motors in them.
Yes people do build Estes kits and put HPR motors in them.....

https://www.acsupplyco.com/estes-model-rockets/model-rocket-engines/e-and-f-engines

Back