Tube Rolling Help

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKeeper

Reaction score
I am currently trying to complete a FlisKits Midnight Express, although I have built the Caution Rocket and Nebula, I have never rolled a body tube.I have tried twice but both have been unsuccsessful, it seems that the tube wrap can't fit all the way around the engine cassings, I am using 110 Lb cardstock, would 65 Lb be better. Thanks in advance:clap:

I've built a few of those, and found them to be slightly oversized over an engine casing. My 2cents, based upon what I admit to be a personally vague understanding of your question:

If it's only a gap of 1/2, to 1 milimeter of the printed part of the cardstaock not meeting up, switching to 65 may give you that much, but once again, and just going by what I'm reading; if you haven't done so, try other engine casings, and double check to see if you're printing out the model with an 'ACUAL SIZE' type setting, and not a 'FIT TO PAGE' or other.
If you can't get even the glue tab portion of the body tube to meet up again with the paper, when wrapped around an engine casing, it definately seems to be a sizing issue related with printing.

If it's printing to actual size, and your casings are good, (consistant) you could try increasing the print size to say, 102%?

Eric:)

Last edited:
I've built a few of those, and found them to be slightly oversized over an engine casing. My 2cents, based upon what I admit to be a personally vague understanding of your question:

If it's only a gap of 1/2, to 1 milimeter of the printed part of the cardstaock not meeting up, switching to 65 may give you that much, but once again, and just going by what I'm reading; if you haven't done so, try other engine casings, and double check to see if you're printing out the model with an 'ACUAL SIZE' type setting, and not a 'FIT TO PAGE' or other.
If you can't get even the glue tab portion of the body tube to meet up again with the paper, when wrapped around an engine casing, it definately seems to be a sizing issue related with printing.

If it's printing to actual size, and your casings are good, (consistant) you could try increasing the print size to say, 102%?

Eric:)

Thanks, the problem is a small gap when wrapped around the engine casings, I really don't have the equipment to up-scale the template, do you guys think that there might be a way for me to cover up the exposed part of the glue tab some how.

I'm also guessing that you've got "Fit to Page" selected - it is the default setting for Acrobat. That will cause the printed image to print somewhat smaller than it should.

I've built several Midnight Express models and I've never had a problem with the tube being too small. I always use 110# card, and I've printed them using several makes of printer (Epson, Lexmark, Brother).

Try it again with "Print Actual Size" selected - I'm betting it will work correctly.

Back