Tube Fin Profiles And Drag

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arsenal78

Reaction score
Does the drag from tube fins change depending on if the tube is not square on the ends? The Pemberton King Kraken has non-straight tube fin ends so would it have the same amount of drag as if it didn’t have cut tubes or would it have the same amount of drag as a wood fin in the same shape? OpenRocket can kind of do tube fins but not custom tube profiles like the Kraken.

I confess I do not understand the aerodynamics of tube fins. Obviously they work, but what changes to the airflow inside the tubes see during boost? Do they just become base drag after a certain speed? Looking for the reply to your question so I can learn something.

I was recently reading some threads on the Kraken that mention groups of 3 fins where each of the three fins in the group are 7 degrees apart will simulate the shaped tube fins pretty accurately. Just make the profile of the fins in OR the same as the tube profile. I haven't tried this; but search a bit and you may find this being mentioned....

One of my favorite topics due to Larry Brand's article series. YES the drag changes fairly intuitively below about M 0.8. If your tubes are very long ( but still angled ) and you're above about M 1.2, they're going to choke up and act a lot more like a wedge.

In the transonic region, however, may the universe have mercy on your sim results.

Back