Tube fin Calculator

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAllen

Reaction score
Mods: Not sure where to post this one. Please move at your discretion.

Not sure if this has been done already but my Dad and I came up with a handy spreadsheet for calculating the maximum diameter of the tube fins with only the body tube diameter and the number of fins. Please note that this was generated in Open Office spreadsheet and converted to MS Excel so it may not look good.

Please let me know what you think and I will post a scan of the drawing and calcs we used to come up with this formula.

-Dave

View attachment Tube Fin Calc.xls

I'm running Linux here, so if you could post the Openoffice code it would help. (they don't make Excel for Linux) :)

I'm also running Linux. The xls should import okay into OpenOffice. The only thing that might be slightly screwy is the formating.

-Dave

I down loaded it and it looks pretty cool. Anytime I did tube fins I just used 6 "fins" the same size as the main tube, and had no problems.

One of my favorite kits was the FSI Viking II, which had 3 tube fins, and little fins in the tubes which made it look a little "sci fi".

Last edited:
This one has 6, and is a combination of several FSI designs
That is absolutely cool! I really like how FSI did the tube fins in the Viking series. Here are mine. (Only the Viking II is painted.)

I'm totally blown away by that paint job, too. :clap: (How on Earth did you pull that off?) I really appreciate when someone paints the insides of the tubes - it's not easy to do! :cheers:

MarkII

Viking clones.jpg

Last edited:
Man !

I am so jealous of you guys. I love tube fins !

I made one out of Loc 54mm tubing, and built it real strong, but only put a 29mm mount in it. All I could get to fly on was a G80, for G125's when those were available. :bangpan:

Back