Trying to find a low cost dual deploy altimeter.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n3tjm

Papa Elf
Reaction score
I been trying to find a low cost, dual deploy altimeter. I am thinking about flying a LOC Vulcanite with a H45 so I am designing an e-bay for it, and need to decide on an altimeter to purchase. I want it low cost because there is a chance I won't get the rocket back. It seems that most places I look don't have anything in stock. Thanks!

I flew mine on a J350 and got it back, then again it was at Blackrock.

Nice. I was looking at the RRC2+, found it after posting this. But the EggTimer Quark is very intriguing too. I might have to go back into Fusion 360 and make adjustments to my alt bay for that because I was playing with the idea of using the RRC2+. I got one sponsor of this project, hoping to get more.

I already called Ken Allen to see if we can meet up next time he is in Lewisburg, PA to pick up a motor.

Vulcanite E-Bay.jpg

I been trying to find a low cost, dual deploy altimeter. I am thinking about flying a LOC Vulcanite with a H45 so I am designing an e-bay for it, and need to decide on an altimeter to purchase. I want it low cost because there is a chance I won't get the rocket back. It seems that most places I look don't have anything in stock. Thanks!

Tim,

Once you figure out what you want...start a conversation with me...I'll buy it for you and have it sent to you...
This will be my (sort of) secret santa gift to you!

Tony

++ on the Eggtimers. I've built 2 Quantums and the GPS Tracker/Altimeter. If you can solder & already have the soldering equipment it is an inexpensive way to go. I like the Quantums because I can program them from my phone or from my laptop via WiFi. I also have a RRC3 but I need to use a USB to serial cable for that.

Eggtimer quark is inexpensive, small, and goes together quickly with a soldering iron.

Eggtimer stuff is great. And there is a fellow who will assemble it for a very reasonable fee, and he does great work.

RRC2+ fan here as well. Own four of them and have never had a failure.

All the instructions you need are printed right on the printed circuit board and settings are made with labeled slider switches.

I’d say idiot proof but idiots are pretty determined and their skillset is growing.

If you like to solder, the EggTimer Quark is $20. For $35, the EggTimer Classic is all through-hole joints.
https://eggtimerrocketry.com/home/altimeters-av-bay/

I like the $70 Eggtimer Proton. Its 6 channels allows you to have redundant drogue and main chute deployments, and with the main chute deployments serving as quadruple deployment protection against your drogue chute failing to deploy. The built-in accelerometer and support firmware prevents accidental premature firing of the deployment channels.
All configuration, arming, channel test firing, and data downloading take place through a WIFI link to iPhone or Android so there's no worry about data cables.

As a retired engineer, I don't mind SMD soldering but I also set up a diy controleo3 reflow oven to solder all of my EggTimer kits with 139C solderpaste in 20 minutes each.

I got my L2 on June 20th, 2020 with an Apogee Zephyr converted to full dual deployment with a Eggtimer Proton plus an Eggtimer GPS TX.

2020-06-20 009.JPG2020-06-20 018.JPG2020-06-27 001.JPG

Last edited:
++ on the Eggtimers. I've built 2 Quantums and the GPS Tracker/Altimeter. If you can solder & already have the soldering equipment it is an inexpensive way to go. I like the Quantums because I can program them from my phone or from my laptop via WiFi. I also have a RRC3 but I need to use a USB to serial cable for that.

I've built both the Quantum and Proton. The Proton has 6 channels allows you to have redundant drogue and main chute deployments, and with the main chute deployments serving as quadruple deployment protection against your drogue chute failing to deploy, as well as a built-in accelerometer and support firmware prevents accidental premature firing of the deployment channels. I really like the Wi-Fi configuration, arming, testing and data download that the Proton has. But I'll also be using the Quantum in the converted Apogee PNC-98 (4in X 19.8in) nosecone, along with the Eggfinder GPS Mini.

Eggtimer stuff is great. And there is a fellow who will assemble it for a very reasonable fee, and he does great work.
I constructed a Controleo3 reflow oven from a B&D toaster oven for soldering Eggtimer boards. I've done over half a dozen kits so far and plan to do more. After sticking the SMD chips to the boards with 139c solder paste the reflow oven just takes 20 minutes to complete a perfect board. Its as much fun as building rockets!

Latest posts

Back