Trying to decide on a MPR - Low-HPR Launch Pad

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrazyDiamond

Reaction score
Hey fellas,

Long story short-- getting into the hobby, starting with MPRs, need a pad, checked some options out and want some opinions. Want a more serious set-up, not a "budget" homemade PVC pad.

Some searching and I found these as seemingly good options:

Knight MFG:
  • FLP-36
  • FLP-42
  • TLP-42

Fade to Black Rocket Works:
  • Standard Concept

A little on the pricy side. Not sure what shipping would be like, as I'm in Canada. Plan to buy a 6' 1/4" 316-stainless rod to start with and move to rails down the road. What are the general thoughts on these? Any experiences? Any better/other options I should consider?

Thanks! Any opinions are welcomed!

IMO, PVC pads are fine for many rocket sizes up to lighter HPR rockets. If you don't like the look, paint it with black wrinkle paint and it will look nice. If you have an aversion to the PVC and want to spend money, then feel free.

A typical LPR/MPR club launch pad can be made with the metal folding saw horses found at a typical big box home improvement store. Often people mount drill chucks (4 or 5 per saw horse) and put the 1/8" or 3/16" rods commonly used for LPR. Sometimes they mount a 1/4" or 3/8" rod to a piece of 1010 rail and use that for typical MPR rockets as well. You use small wooden 2x4 blocks under the legs to point the rack in a particular direction based on field and wind.

As far as a legit HPR pad for rockets that weigh a good bit more, I've seen many options and all had benefits/issues. I have yet to see the perfect pad in person.

If you're solo-launching, then consider adapting big camera/microphone/cymbal tripod for MPR as well for some options. Also don't forget pawn shops as a source for said tripods. You'll have to make an adapter or two, but the rest of the system will likely be fairly user friendly. But make sure they are big and heavy. . . think prosumer or band stuff, not little/light tripods for a camcorder.

Just my opinion. Nothing wrong with an HPR pad built with 1-2" rectangle tube that weighs 60#. That's what I see at local club launches, usually fabricated by a member of the club with the right skills and tools.

Sandy.

I have both a folding metal sawhorse and camera tripod pads - they both work well. The tripod was laying around the house and the sawhorse is a cheapo Harbor Freight bought with a coupon so not talking a big investment. The downside to the sawhorse is weight, sucker’s heavy! But it is stable and fairly adjustable. The tripod works well and with a water filled gallon jug as ballast is stable with bigger rockets - I used an Odd’l Rockets Adeptor so it’s limited to a 3/16” rod - a 1/2” power drill chuck is a good choice and allows bigger diameter rods. Unfortunately neither is particularly “rail friendly” though bolting a rail section to the sawhorse wouldn’t be terribly difficult.

Thanks for the ideas guys! I'm now leaning towards going the Jawstand route. Is there any good instructional/how-to on adapting one for launching?

And for the sake of ongoing curiosity, if you guys ~had~ to pick one of those options in the OP, which would you consider optimal?

I can't say enough good things about the Fade-to-Black Concept Standard I got for my TARC team. 100's of launches later and it still looks like new with the exception of the blast deflector needing some cleanup. It comes with both rod and rail adapter to accept any size rod and a 1010 rail. Disassembles small, sets up in a minute. We use it with anything from Alpha's to a heavy Level 1 launch. I know Fred has shipped his stuff around the world. I'd just send him an inquiry regarding shipping and he'd probably get back to you quickly. Depending where you are in Canada, he's not far across the boarder in the Toledo area.
tarc-1.jpgconcept standard.jpg

Related question... When launching on an angle (such as wind adjustment), should the rail be on the top, side, or bottom side of the rocket? Does it make any significant difference?

I have an idea for a build and I'm just trying to figure out the little details

Last edited:
Related question... When launching on an angle (such as wind adjustment), should the rail be on the top, side, or bottom side of the rocket? Does it make any significant difference?

I have an idea for a build and I'm just trying to figure out the little details

We've always launched with the rail on the top side (rocket "hanging" from the rail).

Back