3D Printing Trying a new filament - PCTG

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael L

Random Pixel Generator
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Essentium PCTG is supposed to print like PLA with PETG properties. It's UV resistant, etc (see link). Matterhackers sells an Essentium PCTG + with much different temperature parameters. It's currently out of stock in 1.75mm and this is not about that filament. Here's the good, the bad, and the ugly, ugly first. So far no bad, and the good is only good if you find the project to be useful :) and the state of the part in the beginning of the printing process was the bad but it's all better now.

The print on the left is what I got with default PETG profiles. Up until I've never tweaked a filament profile. I wish there was a way to export mine but I couldn't find a way to do that so I screenshot the settings in Prusa Slicer. The print on the right is what I am currently getting with the "new" profile. There are 12 of these to print in this project and it's about a 6-1/2 hour print. I'm on print #9. Unfortunately I printed 5 of the left side version, which wasn't quite as bad as the one in the photo so I may use them (doubt it). I've got #4 with the new settings printing now

I am printing a solar powered weather station that I found on Instructables. Cost / benefit for this project may not be there for a one-off because the parts he used come in more quantities than 1 when you order. For instance, the board comes in qty 5. The components are fairly expensive (total, not each). But, I thought it might be a nice add for the launch site. I'll probably make two, we'll see.

The author says to use supports. So far I haven't needed supports. I had to flip the part so that the side you see in the photo was on the bed. I'm using the textured bed (as if it was a PETG part)

p2305120279-6.jpg

Filament Settings

p2305181413-5.jpg

Fan settings

p2305170057-5.jpg

I'm using a 0.4mm hardened steel nozzle. Hardened steel isn't necessary to print this filament. I sometimes print carbon fiber nylon and glow in the dark PLA. Both of those will ruin brass nozzle...

From pictures i think problem is temperature related. Try going up or down in 5 degrees step. Maybe first layer also 270 degrees. Also adhesion seems to be a problem. Did you tried on glass bed?

The part on the right side of the photo is what I got when I changed the temperatures and fan speeds, then created the Essentium profile. Considering that it's printed on the textured bed I'm more than happy with it. There were no adhesion issues. It was breaking off small bits of filament.

Right side print is excellent. Seems like you made right profile and it is acording to manufacturers specs. My adhesion comment was for left side print. This filament has bit higher temperatures than usuall petg. Any issues with warping?

No warping so far, not even with the junk prints HOWEVER the junk prints are not very strong. The parts are made to interlock together and some of the "posts" are snapping off on the poorly printed parts. PLA would be better than what the junk parts are, except the parts are for outside use. I'm still learning and there's lots to learn. It's a good time to get into 3D printing though. There are a lot of advances being made.

Yap, 3d printing is lot of experimental work still. Huge number of filaments and manufacturers doesn't make it easier.

I've put 2 spools and counting of the Essentium PCTG white (2) and black (and counting) and it's good stuff. I've printed small things that only take 8 minutes to print 4 and I've printed large things that takes 8 - 10 hours to print. I've had no issues of any kind. It likes to ooze but that comes off on the first strip that it prints before it begins the real print

Here's all of the weather station parts, Even the M6 all thread that holds all of the stack together printed decently though I did run a die on the the threads, a tap in the holes that were threaded, and a bit through the clearance holes.

p2382784947-6.jpg

Back