Trusty Portapad “E” Finally Broke

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brockrwood

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The little plastic tabs that hold the little launch rod holder thingy in place broke off after many years of use.

I have to come up with a way to attach it without the little plastic tabs.

951C4905-9942-4816-B0B5-6241F52D6D0D.jpeg

CFA2C4E9-9C3D-40EE-9C64-24F93C9474CC.jpeg

67C01E7C-1747-4ED5-B4FC-4818E4807598.jpeg

C7287D5F-7C59-4B6C-A5BF-A8A67D6A0F0A.jpeg

6EB30AD0-A42B-4CBE-BDB7-129FF86E3199.jpeg

Maybe drill a hole right through the plastic stand, big enough to insert a small bolt. Then drill right through the now broken tabs and secure the whole thing with a nut and lock washer.

0C829AFE-269C-4F76-90D4-6AC58CD8FB3B.jpeg

D74B41B0-2CF3-4A74-925F-D778A67B7FA4.jpeg

I wish my little, electric rotary tool had a right angle attachment. That would be perfect for this job. I could avoid drilling the big hole right in the corner of the plastic stand.

Nope. I am just going to cannibslize a standrd size Portapad I no longer use. It has the same type of little clips. These are unbroken.

image.jpg

Last edited:
I salute your frugality! I’m considered quite frugal myself. Though others would probably use the starts with “ch” ends in “ate” word 😆

But get up off the ground! Scrounge up an old camera tripod, buy an O’ddl Rockets Adeptor and a length of solid rod from the hardware store - you’ll never regret it. Best $25-ish I ever spent.

Try epoxying the base sides of the two pieces of the hub to the white plastic base.
Then fill with epoxy from the bottom of the square hole.
Don't get any glue on the rotating rod clamp pieces inside.
So the hub is permanently mounted to the base.
Still portable. Cost: maybe a few cents.
And consider a flower pot or some other cover for your hub to protect it from the exhaust.
The newer E pads have the deflector plate above the hub to protect it.
Good luck.

One of the old dangerous versions of the PPE pad... A melted leg on mine, and a fire from a failed launch convinced Estes to change these to keep the blast plate off the hub (and the launch rod holder to be placed under the blast plate too).

I salute your frugality! I’m considered quite frugal myself. Though others would probably use the starts with “ch” ends in “ate” word 😆

But get up off the ground! Scrounge up an old camera tripod, buy an O’ddl Rockets Adeptor and a length of solid rod from the hardware store - you’ll never regret it. Best $25-ish I ever spent.
So the O’ddl Rockets “Adeptor” threads onto this little threaded doohickey on top of my tripod?

E5637952-8A13-4AAD-8AC5-C0463A7EABEA.jpeg

One of the old dangerous versions of the PPE pad... A melted leg on mine, and a fire from a failed launch convinced Estes to change these to keep the blast plate off the hub (and the launch rod holder to be placed under the blast plate too).
Here is how my Portapad E is fitted out right now. A four feet long steel rod from Lowes; A high-tech rocket retention device (clothespin) to keep the rocket about, oh, 6 inches off of the blast deflector; and, a tiny, terra cotta (sp?) flower pot to cover up plastic launch rod holder thingy. The flower pot is a recent addition.

The black launch rod holder thing I stole from a standard Portapad does not grip the 3/16” launch rod very firmly. I may have to come up with a different fix.

425F3EFB-E3ED-4F2F-ADDF-9E7F5A0FF9CC.jpeg

721E9492-8546-4022-89FE-655B06A547D7.jpeg

8EC12AC2-37D2-4FD0-AF5A-876C2BE35903.jpeg

The black launch rod holder thing I stole from a standard Portapad does not grip the 3/16” launch rod very firmly. I may have to come up with a different fix.
A few wraps of masking tape at the bottom of the rod will cinch it up.
Also there are two holes for the E pad.
One for 3/16' rods and the other for 1/4".

I want to see a home made Folgers coffee can launch pad like it is the 1960's again! :)

It would be a big hit with the old dudes at the park.
LIke this one from Estes Technical Report 6 (1967):

coffee_can_launch_pad.jpg

First you would have to find coffee that is still sold in a metal can.

;-)

The board would have to be pretty big to be stable.

And tin snips.
And Band Aids.
And the nails were all used ones that he had pulled out and straightened to use again. All those old depression era traits.

A looming banking crisis, better stuff some silver certificate cash in the mattress! Oopsie! Hey grandpa, they just went to CBDC! Outta luck there. Welcome to the all digital 21st century.

And tin snips.
And Band Aids.
Don't worry. The rusty old coffee can metal can't hurt you. No nasty bug could survive all those harsh robusta bean essences left behind in the old brands. Heck, reuse those grounds fer a second pot! Tough old folks with cast iron stomachs!

Nothing like the lines of today's addicts lined up at the new Dutch Brother's drive through, ready to shell out the big bucks fer the fancy arabica.

Affirmative.
Accepts 1/8" and 3/16" rods.
I would love to see it accept a 1/4" rod also, but no cigar.

Glad you like the Adeptor!
I didn't design the Adeptor to accept 1/4" rods.
Too many camera tripods couldn't handle the weight of a big rocket or
the thrust of the larger motors.

And the nails were all used ones that he had pulled out and straightened to use again. All those old depression era traits.

I'm not Depression Era old, but I still straighten a nail if I bend it. Never mind I have a tub of 150 new ones right next to me.

Adeptor and tripod also has safety and convenience advantages.

Safety: my biggest fear poking my eye out leaning over the ground based pads. The safety cover is long since lost, I know easily replaced with a motor casing but just something i forget to do between flights. The Tripod raises the base of the rod up so rod tip isn’t eye level.

For loading. Tilt tripod 90, load rocket and flip to vertical or desired angle.

The convenience is not have to squat on my haunches to attach the clips or adjust the angle.

You can probably find a cheap tripod at a thrift store.

Tripods also usually have telescoping legs and fold up and open easily, so they don’t take up much space in the car.

You can slide a 10/10 rail over the rod to use rail buttons. Consider hanging a weight from the tripod (some come with hooks for this) or otherwise bracing the legs, standard tripods start getting a bit tipsy at this point.

I’ve been using my adeptor for at least a decade, I think.

Last edited:
Hmm. The 3/16 inch hole on this black rod holder mechanism that I stole from an d Estes standard Porta-a-pad is a little rounded out. That is why it is not gripping well on my 4 feet long steel rod from Lowe’s.

I found yet another old Porta-a-pad in my parts bin. This one is yellow. The 3/16 inch hole on the rod holder from the yellow pad grips the 3/16” rod much more snugly. I will try this one.

I always try the easy fix before spending hours on the hard fix.

47D26FEA-30BD-46C2-ADA9-6B153D87A2C2.jpeg

I want to see a home made Folgers coffee can launch pad like it is the 1960's again! :)

It would be a big hit with the old dudes at the park.
I just used a steel peanut butter jar lid with a hole drilled in the middle.
LIke this one from Estes Technical Report 6 (1967):

View attachment 572322

First you would have to find coffee that is still sold in a metal can.

;-)

The board would have to be pretty big to be stable.

https://www.target.com/p/caf-233-bustelo-espresso-dark-roast-ground-coffee-10oz/-/A-13476841
Also makes a BA cup of coffee.

Hmm. The heavy, 4 feet steel rod from Lowe’s really torques this little, plastic rod holder. The Lowe’s rod is a lot heavier than the shorter, hollow rod Estes sells for these pads.

Still, I really like the 4 feet long rod. That one extra foot of rod lets my rockets pick up a little extra speed before they exit the top of the rod. That is important if a model has marginal stability and it’s a windy day. Also, the extra foot of rod lets me load the rocket high above the blast plate, saving the plate some wear and tear.

It might be time to invest in the Odd’l Adeptor. I wish I could find a local store here in the Denver area that sells it so I can avoid shipping costs.

D232DB09-EE34-40ED-BE01-C688A9810750.jpeg

Back