TruCore casing spare parts

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really? How so?
Missed maybe, but devastating?

I might have overstated it, but we are clearly missing the packing stands and the motor casings. No one has stepped in to replace the loss.

Either way, to reason to attack the messenger. Take a chill pill.

Well I will have to agree with Chuck, it did cost us a lot more money to start doing them ourselves. First of all you make lots of mistakes.... Depending who does them for you and how many you order, the material you choose etc... building a test stand and my friend ended up buying a lathe to make them. The good news is now I have lots of casings from my friend for the same kind of price that Ed use to sell them. He can do custom casings we even did some 1 grain in order to test new propellant. Also I hove them locally, no need to order from the US or China anymore with custom fees and expensive postage.
I would like to thanks everyone on this for who gave advises on the material to choose.

Well I will have to agree with Chuck, it did cost us a lot more money to start doing them ourselves. First of all you make lots of mistakes.... Depending who does them for you and how many you order, the material you choose etc... building a test stand and my friend ended up buying a lathe to make them. The good news is now I have lots of casings from my friend for the same kind of price that Ed use to sell them. He can do custom casings we even did some 1 grain in order to test new propellant. Also I hove them locally, no need to order from the US or China anymore with custom fees and expensive postage.
I would like to thanks everyone on this for who gave advises on the material to choose.

I may have to learn to make them myself.

Did anyone take over the casting tube mandrels/bases he made?

Did anyone take over the casting tube mandrels/bases he made?

The website is still there. I am not sure. I have not heard anyone report have bought and received them and it is dated 2013.

I have also printed my own and I have published them on github. 3D printing is the easy bit.... Doing the casing or the nozzle with a lathe is hard you need to be a machinist .... I can do pretty much everything else in my rocket but working with a lathe is something that take time to learn and require quite a lot of tools which is why I am asking other to do it for me

The website is still there. I am not sure. I have not heard anyone report have bought and received them and it is dated 2013.
I bought from him more recently than that. Late 2019. It was slow, but I got my parts. He apologized, said he had a larger order in the cue ahead of mine.

If you follow the link that I posted above, it will take you to the TRU-CORE webpage. I have been buying from him for at least five years, and have an incoming order scheduled to be delivered Wednesday. He is a bit slow, but good products. They are not printed.

If you follow the link that I posted above, it will take you to the TRU-CORE webpage. I have been buying from him for at least five years, and have an incoming order scheduled to be delivered Wednesday. He is a bit slow, but good products. They are not printed.

Thank you. I will follow your lead and order.

I use 3D printed cap and Teflon rod that I buy online from ebay

wood bases can be made with a sander
aluminum bases can be made with a lathe
3d printed bases are easy also

Rick C is the proprietor of Tru Core now..
He's a stand up guy and won't do you wrong..
Deal with him in confidence..

Teddy

Thanks Ted! I've been a little slow but am transitioning to partial retirement. My goal is to make a supply of the common sizes in the new year. That way if you want a 54-5/8 I'll be able to ship the next day. I'm working on new molds now - because they aren't 3d printed, but cast plastic

Thanks Ted! I've been a little slow but am transitioning to partial retirement. My goal is to make a supply of the common sizes in the new year. That way if you want a 54-5/8 I'll be able to ship the next day. I'm working on new molds now - because they aren't 3d printed, but cast plastic

hahahahhahhaha
Ohh, I'm sorry,
Did that come out ??

Rick,
If you want to make jokes there's a thread for that..
You're too busy in your professional life,
but that's a good thing..

Teddy

hahaha
no more mondays or fridays for me! I figure tues, wed and thurs are enough for work. Gonna step back from all of the clinical stuff and stick to running the business only.

Well, who would have thunk that cbrarick is Rick Comshaw! Never would have put that together without Teddy's help. Good news for me though, if I want to add to my collection.
Hey Rick! I got your shipment today, and thanks for the extra puller, although I probably won't be using it like it's supposed to be used.
My setup is a bit different from some others I have seen, in that I don't pull mandrels, I pull grains off mandrels mounted on a big vibration table:

vibration table.jpg

The mandrels are mounted on 1/4" plates which are screwed down on a 4'x4' sheet of plywood, which is mounted to a big Jeep tire with a commercial grade vibco vibrating motor mounted under the plywood. It all weighs over 100 lbs. and I can just twist the grains off after they cure. When I'm using my 8 qt. mixer, I can make up five grains and cast them on that plate in the front, it has two 7/8" mandrels and one 1" mandrel I made from a surplus rod I got at Industrial metals. The rod I ordered from you (13/16") isn't available from them, and most of the mandrels on that table are Tru-core.
Here's a shot of my most recent order:

new order.jpg

This is to fill in some gaps when I use the 20 qt. Hobart for bigger batches. I usually cast for specific motors using the graph you can download from Tru-cores webpage, which gives you bates grain configurations for different size grains.
The purple caps have a concave surface that gives each grain an un-inhibited surface, and the vented caps allows you to press out excess propellant for a perfectly sized grain.
2021-11-13 NYWR loads and Wayne.jpg

I also have some TruCore plastic cap that I got from Ed a long time ago.
So looks like they are still grain mold supply but what about casings? Where do you guys get them from now that Ed is no longer selling them? From local machinist? Also where do you get your high density graphite for nozzle ?

I would have loved to pick up Brand X motors, but I'm not a machinist.
I'm ok with deburring caps but probably dangerous with sharper tools.....
It would be nice to have a similar supplier......at his price point.
None of it was fancy or anodized, but you could use the same case over dozens of times then it's not a major crime against your wallet to toss it and get another one.....

It would be nice to have a similar supplier......at his price point.
None of it was fancy or anodized, but you could use the same case over dozens of times then it's not a major crime against your wallet to toss it and get another one.....
I am not a machinist either but my friend is and he is thinking about reselling some. I am buying from him and we live in the same country which means low shipping cost for large casing if any. It is possible to get them made in China for a reasonable price but you have to order a large quantity so not sure it worse's it for the experimental market where people are usually looking for custom made stuff.

The Binderdesign ones look more expense than the TruCore ones

Back