Trouble with Estes Astrovision camera

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me with the problems I am having with my Astrovision camera. I have tried several launches but haven't had any luck getting the camera to work. I have read the instructions and have made sure not to move the mode switch after taking the pictures. Every time I connect the camera to the computer it either says no picture or connection error:confused: Has anyone had similar problems with this product?

Sorry but no I've not had any connections problems.
Mine has worked pretty well actually. If I could only get the hang of the delays... I either get a lot of looking at the ground or very short mid flights with long time looking at the chute:(
In photo mode: Usually two shots of the pad:( It's the timing thing I guess i'm having trouble with, usually being at a public launch it's a little bit more of a problem coordinating with the LCO.

Connecting hasn't seemed to be a problem with my laptop on the field.

I think I'd try reloading the software again first, then if the problem continues call or write Estes customer service.
sorry for your trouble: I think it's gonna be a fun camera if I ever get the timing down:)

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. I emailed Estes and they sent me a download link. My rocket is working now:D As far as timing in picture mode goes, I have had the most luck launching the rocket right after the LED light stops flashing. I've only done about 3 successful launches so far, but got a picture on the pad, a picture mid flight, and a picture just before ejection each time. I was using C6-5s on all 3 flights. Here are some samples. Hope that is helpful. Now I'm eager to try video mode.:D

Astrovision 1.jpg

Astrovision 2.jpg

Astrovision 3.jpg

So in still camera mode the Astrovision takes three pictures on a delay sequence?

Yes after you select camera mode and press the start button there is a 15 second delay. The LED light is flashing during this time. After the light goes out the camera takes 3 pictures 1.5 seconds apart. So far I have had the most luck letting the camera take the first picture on the pad, otherwise the last 2 are taken of the sky after the ejection charge goes off. I,m not sure yet but I'm considering getting some Quest long burn Cs or maybe an Aerotech 18mm to get a longer flight so all 3 pictures turn out.

ok thanks. those pictures are inspiring. wished I could have gotten those kinds of results with the Astrocam last summer...

Yep. I've had the same trouble e.g., no picture. What did Estes provide for you, was it new software? Can you post the link for the download please. Thanks.

Thanks for the link 013Rocketry. I downloaded it but it's the same as the software they provided on the disc.

I too noticed that you need to have absolutely fresh batteries. Furthermore, when the batteries get cold they don't have enough juice to power the camera even if they are fresh. You may find it works better when the temps warm up. At least that's been my experience.

I have on my wish list to purchase the Washigei Reconn and the ATC3 video camera. It appears to be a much better solution for rocket cam video without the need to scratch build something.

No problem. I noticed that the software looked the same too but after installing the software and the battery change my rocket seemed to work.:) I have noticed that the rocket doesn't work very well in the cold as well. I'm hoping for warmer weather soon! I've never heard of the Washigei Reconn, or the ATC3 video camera. Who sells them? Are they also intended for use with low power rockets?

Im just trying to get this thing going, with the switch on in either direction. The light is flashing at the same pace before and after hitting the start button. Does this mean the batteries are dead?? First estes purchase in a long time, pretty substandard seeming. I gather estes just carts whatever they can find from the pacific rim with no thought or design or QA. Could all these batteries really be DOA????

Im just trying to get this thing going, with the switch on in either direction. The light is flashing at the same pace before and after hitting the start button. Does this mean the batteries are dead?? First estes purchase in a long time, pretty substandard seeming. I gather estes just carts whatever they can find from the pacific rim with no thought or design or QA. Could all these batteries really be DOA????

I would agree on all counts. It's quite possible the batteries are DOA. Those button cells don't have much of a shelf life and absolutely zero performance if the temperature is less than about 60 degrees. Each set of batteries are good for maybe 1 or 2 flights whether on the test bench or in the field.

My Astrovision hasn't been flown in nearly a year. I've moved up to high power. I have an ATC3K camera now and am working on a rocket that can fly it. I've quit buying nearly all Estes products purchasing rocketry products made in the US instead.

You'll probably have to email Estes. Go to www.estesrockets.com and select contact us. There is a form to fill out about your item purchased and it's problem. It's what I did to get the above link. It took them about 3 days to get back to me. Hope this helps.

there must be some software way around this thing, to just go in and grab whats on the camera?? Estes wrote back and said i should just return the rocket for a refund. Was an ebay purchase, i see them forsale lots of places. Must be a way to get this thing going??

Back