Quantcast

Trouble uploading pictures in Firefox and Chrome, but works in IE11

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Marc_G

Reaction score
Hi Admins,

I'm having trouble using the Insert Image button in new posts or in replies, when using it to upload files from my PC (not for inserting links). The problem happens in Chrome or Firefox. The problem doesn't happen in IE11.

Basically, I click the Insert Image button. It brings up the Insert Image dialog box. I make sure I'm on the From Computer tab. I can browse select to the file I want. But then the upload file button doesn't work... nothing happens when I click on it.

Please fix. I'm migrating away from IE. Thanks!

Marc

BEC

Reaction score
That describes how it doesn't work right in Safari either from MacOS or iOS. I always have to go to the more cumbersome process to upload anything. In the simple way I select my file and it just sits there.....

I didn't know it worked in any browser the way it appears it is supposed to. I don't run IE on the one active Windoze box in the house either.....Firefox there.

Marc_G

Reaction score
Thanks for the confirmation that it's not just me having issues. :wink:

Usually there's an outcry when there are tech problems.

Hopefully Angie or others can clear it up for us.

Marc_G

Reaction score
I'll upload the following picture with IE11 (Which works), but the picture is of FireFox attempting to upload. The Upload File(s) button is inactive. Doesn't register mouseover and nothing happens when clicking it.

UploadNotWorking.jpg

Notice in the above picture of Firefox, there's only one button, Upload File(s). In IE, there's also a select files and clear list button, when you get to that point in the process.

Picture of what it looks like in IE:
windowinIE11.jpg

BEC

Reaction score
For Safari from MacOS.

These done by "going advanced" and then using "manage attachments" there, as shown in the second picture.

I see essentially the same thing when running from iOS on my iPad.

It has been like this for a long time - not working from the simpler "insert image" dialog. I figured it was a "we don't support Apple" thing until this thread.

Screen Shot 2017-08-28 at 6.35.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-28 at 6.37.02 PM.png

rocketguy101

Reaction score
I just used the "Insert image" with Firefox on Win 7 and it worked for me ... I did notice a "Flash" icon pop up and I had to click on that (I am running a Flash blocker) now the Flash blocker icon is green in my toolbar...I normally use the "Manage Attachments" window to upload photos, never tried this method before.

I did try this w/ FF from work earlier today when I first read this post and it would not work, just as you described...I got the browse portion but could not select anything...strange...

DSC_2696MR.jpg

o1d_dude

'I battle gravity'
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have long since abandoned any attempts to upload images to TRF due to this issue.
Not switching from my IOS devices anytime soon.

PCs are for my gaming.

manixFan

Not a rocket scientist
Reaction score
You have to have Flash enabled to get it to work. Whether you are willing to take that risk is up to you. I have a browser I only use of that kind of stuff and nothing else. Apple pretty much prohibits Flash from running in Safari and of course has never allowed it on iOS and I think Google pretty much prevents it as well.

The big issue is the website needs to update their forum package with a non-Flash image uploader. Even Adobe has said Flash has reached its end of life. Any website that still uses it needs to move into the modern age.

Tony

Marc_G

Reaction score
You have to have Flash enabled to get it to work. Whether you are willing to take that risk is up to you. I have a browser I only use of that kind of stuff and nothing else. Apple pretty much prohibits Flash from running in Safari and of course has never allowed it on iOS and I think Google pretty much prevents it as well.

The big issue is the website needs to update their forum package with a non-Flash image uploader. Even Adobe has said Flash has reached its end of life. Any website that still uses it needs to move into the modern age.

Tony
Interesting! I will investigate tonight. Thanks for the information.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Marc_G

Reaction score
I installed flash, and ensured the FireFox plugin is set to always activate (at least for this test :) )

Let's see if I can upload the picture:

Arapaho.jpg

Yup. That fixed it. Kudos to @manixFan !!

Marc_G

Reaction score
Now testing "Ask to Activate" setting for the plugin.

Will it ask or fail silently?

Green Max Launch on D5-4.jpg

AFTER I shut down Firefox and relaunched it, THEN it accepted the new "ask to activate" function. That's as designed, I believe. So, settings to plugins require relaunch of the browser. But it worked as expected. When I tried to use the control, it popped up a window in the upper left of the screen giving me "Allow Now" and "Allow and Remember" functions. I wonder how broad the "remember" is?

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
circle drive home porch.jpg

testing

uploaded direct from computer with Win10/Chrome

Marc_G

Reaction score
I appreciate everyone's help on this.

While I've got my flash sorted on Firefox for now, Angie do you have any plans to replace that flash control with a non flash alternative?

Thank you!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
There are some upgrade plans in the works. I don't know exactly when they will happen. I will try to find out.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Rocketry Forum mobile app

manixFan

Not a rocket scientist
Reaction score
I installed flash, and ensured the FireFox plugin is set to always activate (at least for this test :) )...
You're welcome. Glad you got it going. You might want to go into your browser settings and make sure it's not on globally but just for TRF. Otherwise it's a huge security risk.

Looking forward to the day when Flash is no longer required.

Tony

GrouchoDuke

Reaction score
The Flash upload interface can die in a fire. ;)

vBulletin has to have a drop in upgrade for this, right?