Trouble Shooting Eggfinder LCD Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want to post an update on this. First of all, eggfinder offers awesome support. Christ sent me a second LCD screen no questions asked, and when it didn't work assumed that I had broken something and decided to order a second RX board. Yesterday I finally got around to starting assembly on that 2nd board when a couple of things happened.
1. When starting assembly on the 2nd rx module, I noticed I was plugging the LCD screen in upside down. Since the backlighting turned on when plugged in backwards I assumed it was the correct position, but nope! Plugging in the LCD the correct orientation still had the same problem though where nothing but blocks came up.
2. I noticed a solder joint on the RF module that hadn't flowed well. As soon as I fixed that the module came to life.

It's a lot harder to destroy these boards than I thought.

Now I have two RX boards. I will assemble the 2nd one anyways because I am much better at soldering now and made a few dumb mistakes on the first one.
Also one tip for anyone else starting out: just order the suggested size conical tip in the build instructions. Initially I was using a smaller needle nose tip, and it was not able to adequately transfer heat, especially on larger surface mount pads. Even on the smaller pads solder wasn't flowing right. Just spend the extra $5-$10, it makes a world of difference.

Again, thanks to eggfinder for the outstanding support.
Question- why not use the backlighting on the display? Is it for battery life? Which pin turns on the backlighting? I might make a switch to optionally turn it on.
It’s battery life. Backlighting makes a huge difference in the power consumption of your receiver!

I use a momentary action button switch to activate the LCD back light. I also use a 1 Ah LiPo in the case, so it’s not going to lose power too soon.
Yes, battery size can mitigate that power consumption issue. I put a 2.something Ah battery in my receiver case, but didn’t add a switch for the backlight as I haven’t launched anywhere near dusk.

If you're going to use the backlight, get a 2000 mAH or larger LiPo. That thing sucks power like there's no tomorrow...

Do you know if a 2000 mAH battery will fit in the handle of the BlackAero case? I still need to order a battery for it, and haven’t decided yet on what to get.

Back