Troody's Big Bang

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pem Tech

Notorious Member
Reaction score
Well, the rocket bug has bitten Trudy, in a big way. When I came home Thursday she had completed her first rocket. In her usual "Go for the Gusto" way she decided to give LPR and MPR a miss and go right to the big boys.
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you her level 3 scratch build, affectionately called "Trudy's Big Bang!"

Troodylevel3_9069.jpg

A close-up of the the builder and her creation.

troodyslevel3_9065.jpg

:eek:

:y:

:jaw:

No disrespect intended, but is the joke on us?

If not, it's an interesting project. How about some details? What are the fins made of and how are they bonded to the rocket? What's the overall weight, and what motor is planned? How about recovery?

Looks like SOMEBODY'S been watching too many episodes of "Junkyard Wars"!!! :p

Are we all such rocket nerds that no one is going to comment on the dress? :eyepop: :D

You definitely have a live one there, Layne. Cinch down your seven-point harness and hang on for dear life. :D

MarkII

No disrespect intended, but is the joke on us?

If not, it's an interesting project. How about some details? What are the fins made of and how are they bonded to the rocket? What's the overall weight, and what motor is planned? How about recovery?

She used my wire welder to form the BT from four oil barrels. The NC looks like a giant funnel she got from one of the local scrap yards, I'm not sure what is really supposed to be though. The fins are made of the 3/4" weather proofed ply that I had gotten to fix the roof.
Grrrrrrrrr
The pipes on the end of the fins are not only for looks but also to protect the fin tips at landing. Apparently used lengths of all thread screwed into the fins and bolted to the inside of the BT. Recovery is via a 24' tarp with 550 cord lines. She put in 3/4" ply rings sized down to 8". When asked what motor she intends to use she is determined to pour her own 8" diameter, four foot long, 47 pound sugar motor.
And yes, this is a joke...
:rolleyes:

Last edited:
1) There was a dress in the picture? :eek:

2) Which part was a joke? :confused2:

3) Can this woman really use a Mig welder? :w:

Have a great day.:D

1) There was a dress in the picture? :eek:

Actually, there isn't....
We were on our way to a 4th of July pool party, so that is a wrap over a bathing suit. Aren't you glad I didn't hunch up on that thing and post a picture!

2) Which part was a joke? :confused2:

We saw this monstrosity outside of a fireworks tent on the way to said pool party. She squealed when it came into sight and demanded that I take her picture with the rocket and post it as a joke. It was her idea, I swear.

3) Can this woman really use a Mig welder? :w:
Have a great day.:D

She hasn't yet, but given the motive, she would learn.

Are we all such rocket nerds that no one is going to comment on the dress? :eyepop: :D

You definitely have a live one there, Layne. Cinch down your seven-point harness and hang on for dear life. :D

MarkII

That right there made me laugh real hard.

After meeting the two of you at NSL I have to say I am not surprised with those photos. You two seem like a very colorful couple.

-Dave

That right there made me laugh real hard.

After meeting the two of you at NSL I have to say I am not surprised with those photos. You two seem like a very colorful couple.

-Dave

Thank you very much Dave, that is the nicest thing we have been called in a while.

:D

And it was nice meeting you at NSL, and nice to know the wind didn't blow you away.
:roll:

Hey, Layne,
You should post that to the boys at the "Vatsaas Rocket Team" website - they have a page for "Roadside Rockets"! I don't have the URL to hand, but just enter "Vatsaas Rocket Team" into a search engine!
Grif

Hey, Layne,
You should post that to the boys at the "Vatsaas Rocket Team" website - they have a page for "Roadside Rockets"! I don't have the URL to hand, but just enter "Vatsaas Rocket Team" into a search engine!
Grif

Great idea Grif!
Now that you mention it, I have been to that page. Those guys a nuts, but nuts in a good way.
:D

Back