TriWarp Cruiser -- Fantasy/Geometric/structural

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bill_s

Reaction score
triwarp_frontangl353.jpg

Fantasy:"Spaceframe" design with possibly mysterious propulsive function, including cosmic warp rings.
Function: strong design with rear ejection and capsule/bumper nose.

triwarp_rearangl352.jpg

Repaired rear end provided an art area. With 24mm adapter.

Wanted to show off my latest. Hopefully it will inspire more creative designs. I'm not giving out specific build info, but wouldn't mind generalized copying.

By way of introduction, I built 2 rockets as a kid which promptly dissappeared when launched on the largest allowed motor. So I build for visibility now. About 15 years ago I built 2 finless designs, based on the amount of trouble I was seeing with a friend keeping his fins on. One was an elongated triangular pyramid. I didn't want copy that again just bigger, plus it would have too much air resistance, so I came up with this. A new goal was for it to be able to come down fast, avoiding excess drift.

The original design used a smaller airframe tube and a pyramidal nose. Since that would be hard to build with an ejecting nose, I came here and looked up how to do rear recovery and found I needed to put the parachute beside the motor so I switched to BT70H tube. But that design wouldn't handle impact, so I came up with the idea of looking for some object that could be converted to a bumper nose, and found a hard foam mini-football. It would look better with a pointy nose, but this design is unusual in that the appearance still "works" (to me) with this blunt one. I also had a deal with a BT50 nose cone grafted on, but it broke off on first test, thus the sort of ring around the tip.

Other goals of the design were high visibility per air resistance, and low weight per air resistance to be able to use the widest spectrum of motors (since their results are all closer to the same). I did go over target on the weight, the thing must have gained 2 ounces in paint. Total is 17.5 oz. with default nose weight.

Yes I know the fins going well forward is destabilizing. The fin array in the rear helps, but the CG still needs to be within a couple inches of amidships. On the other hand, the long "rail" fins are of heavier wood which moves the CG forward. It needs nose weight just a little short of the motor weight.

The rail fins are made of True Value yardsticks. I do wish I had puttied all the markings out, sometimes I get tired of comments on that, but it was a convenient source of cheap, nonwarped wood of the right shape. So that makes them 36" long exactly ;) .. whole thing's about 39". Other woods used were 3" wide basswood for the returning section of the rails at the rear, 4" wide balsa, and some bits of Lowe's yardstick for the middle launch lug mount and turning a centering ring into a heavy bulkhead.

The slight markings on the yardstick-rails do make it easy to track the CG. In testing holding it up in the wind, I found it to reliably act like a weathercock at the 19.75" point. Any further back and it loses stability at higher angles of attack. So far I've flown it with the CG at 20.5" or better. It angles some off the launch with smaller engines, but I haven't been able to map any tendency to weathercock in flight.

Rocket materials were from ASP, they had everything I needed (since a nose cone wasn't). Once I built a mount, I figured out I didn't need to cut the 30" tube, by cutting the 9" section down by 2" and sliding the 4" coupler tube a bit one way, the coupler provided a stop and measured a shock cord chamber above the engine.

Despite the airframe only being about 2.1", the calculated frontal area of the 2.5" nose and all the fins is equivalent to a 3.9" tube. Therefore I run sims with that area and low-ish, airfoil range drag coefficient, rather than trying to use the actual diameter and a high fudge-factor drag coefficient.

3warp_stand317.jpg

3warp_24mmpulledout271.jpg

2 parachutes ago, sans wadding/wrap ... the plastic Estes did survive ejection at about 100 ft/s with only one ripped shroud line. A 24" Top Flight was too hard to pack with the 29 mm mount, so now I have a 22" Aerotech in there.

3warp_table-origmounts274.jpg

Originally I had both 24 and 29 mm mounts. Only 1 centering ring survives. Also added a steel leader after the first flight, now have Kevlar, and have to use special wrapping methods for the shock cord (now mostly 1/2"). That's my layout drawing for the main fin rail assemblies under everything.

triwarpcruiser_e20_8-26-12.jpg

On an E20-4.
triwarpcruiser_e20_8-26-12_descent.JPG

Flights:
1. E20-4. Since the references here did it right, they didn't warn me about doing it wrong. The ejection charge burnt the shock cord resulting in a crash. I was very lucky it landed on a big pile of loose dirt. Not a scratch but a bit dirty:
3warp_capsuleaftercrash.jpg

2. E12-4. I did originally want this to able to use Estes Es, and my RASP sim showed about 200' with ejection around 150'. Liftoff would only be about 27 ft/s, but the motor thrust peak would be all but over by the time it even came off the rod, resulting in less need for strong stabilization. Well, it ejected at 40-50' instead and I watched the parachute appear to stop and the shock cord stretch, stretch down to a few feet above the ground. It actually was an awesome flight with the motor COATING the tripod with exhaust, but will not be repeated.

3. E20-4. About 400', success.
(attempt) F50-6. CATO, destroyed 29 MM mount and split open the bottom of the airframe (see 2nd pic). Fortunately, the inside edges of the fin structure help assure motor mount alignment.
(attempt) F30-4. Premature ejection on the launch pad. Many rockets would have been destroyed by the thrust fire coming out of both ends of the motor, as it was the 24 mm mount was destroyed (Aerotech has already replaced the motor and sent me some useful bits and pieces).
4. G40-7W (Estes Pro Series II). Awesome flight (~1100'), highest single deploy flight that day due to wind, and it still landed just within the main field. 2 close calls, motor was hanging 3/4 of the way out the mount and a snap swivel was bent and opened, but still held on.

triwarp_ballastbay354.jpg

Ballast bay door showing part of one of 3 permanent 1/2 oz. weights, 2 oz. removable weight with wedge holder, door latch. The "rails" have through the body tabs at the front, not the rear.

3warp_topangle301.jpg

Last edited:
That is original and cool.

Great job.

Launch 5. G38-7FJ, Battlepark. Lowest G, but the black smoke trail was Awesome. Late-ish ejection was expected. Parachute was left behind. Crash from estimated 950' to dirt, did not penetrate ground. I was not hopeful of repair at the time and did not scavenge the site for every broken bit -- nothing else fits like the broken part sometimes. A bad thing about this design is the airframe isn't really repairable such as by cutting it off short. It had stress marks and a slight bend or dent but I ended up deciding it wasn't doomed. Worse things can fly and the airframe is fairly minor in the aerodynamics of this rocket. The nose was also mashed in a mm or so on one side. But still, amazing. In fact, once the shock wore off I decided it not only was repairable, it DEMANDED it.

Failure point was a tie-wrap used to attach the parachute after problems with a snap swivel. It was small tie but I figured the things are really strong. Either it wasn't or the loads are high. The loop it attaches to is made of a paper clip though and it's yet unaffected.

Well the damage:
3wc_broke361.jpg

3wc_broke365.jpg

A lucky thing was that a bit of the wing (outer delta) was left attached to both the broken-off rail fin and the opposite rail, holding on by the ends. This provided an alignment guide.

I had added a Pro II retainer before this flight. Nice, but almost .5 ounces. Therefore I needed to add even more permanent nose weight; added 3 more .25 ounce egg weights. Lot of trouble just to make it "easier" but I guess it is better. Anyway the markings on the retainer show the violence:
3wc_engdamg366.jpg

Actually the thing doesn't thread quite right and I may have to borrow the other one. The centering ring was also broken and this is after breaking off the ply with the red mark so it could be popped back straight. This was repaired with epoxy with some chopped glass.

First the most intact wing was put back together, the aft section was broken off. Used wood glue since it fit well:
3wc_bestwingrpr369.jpg

Since I didn't get the front of the rail fin, I had to make a new piece. I sanded the break flat in cross section but didn't try to make it a straight line from end to end. Then I traced the edge onto some basswood, different but I had it and it's easier to work, and lots of epoxy was to be going around. The part to be used is between the line and the top of the white wood, to the end:
3wc_finrepairmarking370.jpg

I also went ahead and tapered the front end before attaching, committing myself to tapering the other 2 later. But since this overlaps with a part still on the rocket, first the rail was reattached after lots of dry fitting and grinding. Even though the wood glue was strong enough to take a layer off the cardboard tube, repairs often involve gap-filling and reinforcement, so epoxy was used here. :
3wc_finreattch372.jpg

This included gluing back together the wing, even though it will be removed later (I had another piece but there was still a big hole and it didn't fit right):
3wc_finreattch-tempwing373.jpg

Next 2 new wings were made and the area of the missing wing was prepped. This shows my Harbour Freight mini-tool ($7?) which is almost to weak to use on anything normal sized, but I'm finding good for hobby work, also the cutting disk:
3wc_wingprep376.jpg

And the wing:
3wc_wingreplace1377.jpg

Finally to replace the bad wing. Before:
3wc_tempwingandnew380.jpg

And after:
3wc_wingreplace2withold381.jpg

In this case, there was a small gap between the wing and the inner reinforcing delta, so epoxy was used there to fill the gap, with a small shim to avoid squeezing out the glue but no attempt to shim the whole gap. Otherwise used wood glue since this is balsa.

I went ahead and painted the 2 new wings gold and left the old one black. Also added some little "spin tabs" to give it some rotation to correct for curving, but have yet to confirm they do anything:
3wc_paintedgold383.jpg

This was just my fast balsa painting method, double coat and light sanding only, tail end of the can too, but it was ready to launch the next day.

6. E20-4W. Low and slow at est. 350' but an enjoyable flight and had no problem with the wind. Ejection at near exact apogee and the low altitude real showed off the cannon nature of the ejection on this thing, as the motor mount shot out near horizontal about 25 feet to the limit of the shock cord. I've re-added some 1/2" elastic to the parachute side line, to extend it and absorb, not much fits and not as necessary as it was with a plastic parachute but I think it's a good thing.

7. G80-7T, same day. Nothing like contrast! ~1450'. This rocket comes down fairly fast but still it went over the cow pen and made a try for the giant rocket-eating tree. Held together though and retrieved.

Now I want to try a G38 again but don't know about the delay issue. Sims show a -4 would be only a little early (5 sec. would be perfect) but how can the same delay be right for an E and a G?

Last edited:
Back