Tripoli Wisconsin- Jan 7 at Bong

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did -
1st flight worked great. Set it for 500' and worked perfectly. Didn't notice any issues with the cold. I usually set it for 400' so gave it a little extra just in case but probably didn't need to.

Eric

Any pictures/videos from the launch?

I took like 2 pictures. Will post here tomorrow. Kevin took a multitude which I'd imagine will appear on the twa forum in good time.

Eric

I was only able to attend for a short while; had a Niece's B-day party in the afternoon. Nevertheless, was great to see everybody! Thanks Frank, Bob, Peggy, Carol, Dan, and Randy for being out there in those conditions...brrr! Thanks to Tim and Jackie for all the goodies....going to take a few days to sort through all that goodness!

I was only at the range for one flight so only have photos of 1 flight...sorry 'bout that! The first flight of the day took two attempts, and even then didn't work out so well...oh well! I refurbished a Loc Bruiser EXP that Barry or Ron built...it needed a bit of TLC. After installing 1010 buttons onsite, the slightly short EXP was placed on the rail. Thank you to Mark K. and Kevin H for the harassment...errr help getting it ready/on the pad.

So far so good.

DSC_0155_zpsgxtsm05j.jpg

Ok, not so good.:shock:

DSC_0156_zpsqy7cuwup.jpg

Replaced shear pins, did a quick inspection, all appeared well, and back on the pad. Liftoff on a CTI K940 White Thunder.

DSC_0157_zpsmz5ietph.jpg

The rocket drag separated at main motor burnout. I'm thinking that with the tip over, there may have been damage to the coupler; certainly there was more wiggle room with the shear pins. Plus it was COLD, so the nylon shear pins may have been brittle. Plus, when I repaired the rocket, the coupler got shorter and the recovery space for chute, cord, nomex, etc. got smaller. It all added up to a separation following main motor burnout, thankfully the Missileworks electronics understood the situation and didn't fire the twin I outboard motors.

I spent the remainder of my visit tracking down the few different pieces, then had to head out. Apologies for not taking more photos; just didn't spend enough time at the range head.

-Eric-

Eric, thank you for posting a couple of pics... When I left my house (about 90 miles from Bong) it was 16 degrees, when I got to Bong, it was -2. It was damn cold, so I decided to leave the video cameras at home. I wanted to buy the yearly pass, pick up some Black Saturday goodies from Tim, and drop off that minimum diameter booster with you. All three tasks were accomplished in short order, so I booked shortly thereafter. Besides, I wanted to get home and get a look at the AT K-2050's... Holy big cores Batman!

DSCN0892.jpg DSCN0893.jpg

Eric, thank you for posting a couple of pics... When I left my house (about 90 miles from Bong) it was 16 degrees, when I got to Bong, it was -2. It was damn cold, so I decided to leave the video cameras at home. I wanted to buy the yearly pass, pick up some Black Saturday goodies from Tim, and drop off that minimum diameter booster with you. All three tasks were accomplished in short order, so I booked shortly thereafter. Besides, I wanted to get home and get a look at the AT K-2050's... Holy big cores Batman!

View attachment 308997 View attachment 308998

Can't wait to fly and see some k2050's this year! Good to see you Justin and I'll cook your goose soon!:wink:

I was only able to attend for a short while; had a Niece's B-day party in the afternoon. Nevertheless, was great to see everybody! Thanks Frank, Bob, Peggy, Carol, Dan, and Randy for being out there in those conditions...brrr! Thanks to Tim and Jackie for all the goodies....going to take a few days to sort through all that goodness!

I was only at the range for one flight so only have photos of 1 flight...sorry 'bout that! The first flight of the day took two attempts, and even then didn't work out so well...oh well! I refurbished a Loc Bruiser EXP that Barry or Ron built...it needed a bit of TLC. After installing 1010 buttons onsite, the slightly short EXP was placed on the rail. Thank you to Mark K. and Kevin H for the harassment...errr help getting it ready/on the pad.

So far so good.

DSC_0155_zpsgxtsm05j.jpg

Ok, not so good.:shock:

DSC_0156_zpsqy7cuwup.jpg

Replaced shear pins, did a quick inspection, all appeared well, and back on the pad. Liftoff on a CTI K940 White Thunder.

DSC_0157_zpsmz5ietph.jpg

The rocket drag separated at main motor burnout. I'm thinking that with the tip over, there may have been damage to the coupler; certainly there was more wiggle room with the shear pins. Plus it was COLD, so the nylon shear pins may have been brittle. Plus, when I repaired the rocket, the coupler got shorter and the recovery space for chute, cord, nomex, etc. got smaller. It all added up to a separation following main motor burnout, thankfully the Missileworks electronics understood the situation and didn't fire the twin I outboard motors.

I spent the remainder of my visit tracking down the few different pieces, then had to head out. Apologies for not taking more photos; just didn't spend enough time at the range head.

-Eric-

Eric, I was not harassing you...much anyway.

Kevin texted me saying he heard you kicked one of you airstart a- did you get all the hardware back? He went looking for a while and found nothing, hence the question.

View attachment 308997 View attachment 308998

K2050 drag race...

Justin, put the camera down and fly the rocket. If a rocket flies it still happens if it is not filmed. Just saying.

Yeah, but if it's not in Justin's video of the launch, then it's not cool. Even if it was Justin flying his own rocket :)

Eric, I was not harassing you...much anyway.

Kevin texted me saying he heard you kicked one of you airstart a- did you get all the hardware back? He went looking for a while and found nothing, hence the question.

Hi Mark,

I enjoyed the razzing in both directions! Kicked one of the outboards indeed; it was not found. It is a non-standard length 38-4G from Zupan, sky blue in color. I looked for a bit without luck. Based upon the rocket's location when she separated, I think the hardware is somewhere on or very near the runway in the vicinity of the parking area, maybe a hair East of there. I'll keep my eyes and ears pealed, but I'm not holding out too much hope for that one! Thanks!!!

-Eric-

In.
4" Jart?

I've got one of those...that could work. But a 54-3G White Thunder put it up to nearly 7k'.

Any 4" rocket, K2050's? I'm thinking Wildman Extremes, Punishers, etc. would be good matches. A 15lb 4" rocket would get about 5000', a good altitude for Da Bong!

Fun times to be had!!!!

I've got one of those...that could work. But a 54-3G White Thunder put it up to nearly 7k'.

Any 4" rocket, K2050's? I'm thinking Wildman Extremes, Punishers, etc. would be good matches.

If I get off my lazy rear, I could finish my 4" punisher and put it in that. 2.6" darkstar would hit probably 8.5k, which may be a tough recovery at bong.

Any 4" rocket, K2050's? I'm thinking Wildman Extremes, Punishers, etc. would be good matches. A 15lb 4" rocket would get about 5000', a good altitude for Da Bong!

Fun times to be had!!!!

Extremes- I have one of these. I ran a sim on it- mine being a hair over 16 pounds. It is such a fast burn that it will only do about 3300-3500'. Perfect for Bong.

I am trying to picture the site and sound of five or six of these hitting at once- could be really impressive.

Last edited:

Fun times to be had!!!!

Sounds like my 4"Drago is a better match. But man would it be fun to see the Jart rip off the pad.

Why not both? :)

The Jart is simming to about 7,000. Sadly, I built the Jart sans av-bay... so no-go there. Although................... I could use the HED from the Demon98... hmmm...
Drago 4XL is simming to about 4,000. Much better for the Bong. Last time I launched something to over 7k at Bong, it took us 2 hours to find it. Remember hunting down the Punisher after the J360 flight? That's when you decided to buy a machete...

Back