Tripoli Wisconsin @ Bong July 9th

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tall grass, weeds, reeds, and ticks, what else could you ask for!?

Are you coming, what are you flying?
I was there yesterday. After removing another Tick from my hip my wife asked me not to return until fall. I had a great day of flying, but lost a rocket in the deep grass after seeing where it fell. The guys at WOOSH couldn't have been more nice or welcoming, soo glad I went to their last launch. I may go to watch but after walking over 3 total miles in 3-4 foot tall grass with holes and an uneven surface I likely won't send anything up. If they mowed the area right next to the Pads it would be fine,

👋👋👋👋

Every time I post a list of things "I am going to fly," I either end up not going or not flying what I post.

So that being said....

I'm trying to fly what I didn't fly at MMWP........but I am terrified of my Demon 150 landing in a tree!!!

Demon 150 on L2500ST
Wildman Jr DD on a Loki J1000
Madcow Nike-Apache on an I599 to a G138
Maybe a Big Daddy on a big 38mm load or on smaller 29mm load(s)
"Jason's Old Jart" on a J800
Who really knows......

I was in a head-on collision on June 4th and my Civic was totaled (not my fault) so no more showing up to a launch in my clown-car stuffed full of rocket crap.

I was shamed by my family into buying a more appropriate vehicle that matched my lifestyle of hobbies like guns, rockets, hiking, etc.

I would encourage you all to not try and buy a car at this point in time. Buy a bicycle, skateboard, unicycle, riding lawnmower, anything really that is not a car.

This was a public service message.

I was in a head-on collision on June 4th and my Civic was totaled (not my fault) so no more showing up to a launch in my clown-car stuffed full of rocket crap.

I was shamed by my family into buying a more appropriate vehicle that matched my lifestyle of hobbies like guns, rockets, hiking, etc.

I would encourage you all to not try and buy a car at this point in time. Buy a bicycle, skateboard, unicycle, riding lawnmower, anything really that is not a car.

Holy crap Batman!!! At least you're still in the locked and upright position... A head on collision is no minor fender bender. Glad you're still here.

👋👋👋👋

Every time I post a list of things "I am going to fly," I either end up not going or not flying what I post.

So that being said....

I'm trying to fly what I didn't fly at MMWP........but I am terrified of my Demon 150 landing in a tree!!!

Demon 150 on L2500ST
Who really knows...

Head-on?! Glad you're still here, and in flyable condition! No doubt about the car shopping as well. (Was your Civic "...stuffed full of rocket crap" at the time? I could see a jerk unfamiliar with HPR wet his pants after seeing what he hit!) Hope your new ride is a HD military vehicle - the Idiot Limit out there on the roads is in oversupply.
Thanks, too, to Charles McG re. the Hwy. 142 barricades - that's five miles /$1.25 of detour I don't need to waste on my next trip. And Charles: your two-stage flight at the June Bong launch was a thing of absolute beauty!!
The comments about tall grass remind me: does anyone have a source of reasonable, lightweight, loud locator beepers?

Head-on?! Glad you're still here, and in flyable condition! No doubt about the car shopping as well. (Was your Civic "...stuffed full of rocket crap" at the time? I could see a jerk unfamiliar with HPR wet his pants after seeing what he hit!) Hope your new ride is a HD military vehicle - the Idiot Limit out there on the roads is in oversupply.
Thanks, too, to Charles McG re. the Hwy. 142 barricades - that's five miles /$1.25 of detour I don't need to waste on my next trip. And Charles: your two-stage flight at the June Bong launch was a thing of absolute beauty!!
The comments about tall grass remind me: does anyone have a source of reasonable, lightweight, loud locator beepers?
Thanks for the compliment. I’ve got a couple more scale two stage sounding rockets to go before I get to 3 stages.

I’ve used the Pratt Microbeacon before. Tape the battery in good - it’s aggravating to lose it at deployment.

These days I rely on the altimeter beeps - and carry a directional microphone in the rocket box.

there's never been anybody who has laid in a hospital bed and said, "I'm glad I bought that small little car that crumpled up like a pop can". The gas saved by owning a little car is simply not worth it. That's why i owned Suburbans for 30+ years, and they hold everything.

👋👋👋👋

So that being said....

Demon 150 on L2500ST
Who really knows......

Toyota Tundra TRD? Just dreaming on your behalf... and very glad you came out unscathed. :)

there's never been anybody who has laid in a hospital bed and said, "I'm glad I bought that small little car that crumpled up like a pop can". The gas saved by owning a little car is simply not worth it. That's why i owned Suburbans for 30+ years, and they hold everything.
There's a single curvy portion of hill between my town and one over. When it's snowy or holidayish etc. I tend to go around. I've had people ask if I'm afraid of that route, but it's actually just other drivers that cause me to buy defensively.

Holy crap Batman!!! At least you're still in the locked and upright position... A head on collision is no minor fender bender. Glad you're still here.

Thanks buddy, appreciate that. It wasn't as bad as it sounds as thankfully it was in downtown Aurora and I don't drive like a maniac downtown. The offending vehicle was a Toyota Tundra full size pickup and I was only going 35. It was still enough to total my car, 2 visits to the Dr, xrays, and being off work for a week with a concussion and going back to work on limited duty for a few days. Which is actually the odd part. I am a Sr Design Engineer and chronic over-thinker and I was told to "not think too much or use my brain too much." I looked at my Dr and said "What does that even mean?" I seriously had no idea what that even meant. 😆

Thank you!! Thankfully nope, the car was just full of me and my nice and warm, freshly made McDonalds which I would ultimately not get to eat. It would have been interesting though if it WAS full of rocket gear!

LOL!! Nah, Honda Civic (4dr) actually has loads of room in it and is an extremely safe car. No worries there. I am 6'4" tall and 260 and was perfectly comfortable in it. I drive 26miles each way to and from work so driving something relatively fuel efficient is not a must, but it helps my $50/week Dunkin Donuts coffee habit. :bravo:

Toyota Tundra TRD? Just dreaming on your behalf... and very glad you came out unscathed. :)

THAT IS WHAT I HIT!!!!! Not the TRD model though.....

Thank you for the well wishes as well.

Unfortunately I had to buy new......was not happy about that expenditure but going into week 3 in it, I am more than happy I pulled the plug and did it. I never realized (or maybe I forgot?) how much driving a nice car can affect your mental state. It is so pleasing to drive.....

2022 CR-V EX AWD

It's not fancy or sporty......but it is quite luxurious and....its got an (extremely tiny) turbo. Downside is that it has the CVT "rubber band" transmission but it should be fine. Oddly, I am getting used to my RPM staying put no matter my speed. Very odd coming from someone who usually always drove manual, high horsepower, cars most of his life. Its oddly therapeutic, almost.....

In the end it will save me money from having to rent an SUV when I head to Airfest or head out west to go hiking. The Civic was dead reliable, but I wasn't driving it 1000 miles and stuffed with gear.

One other thing I noticed and was very pleased to see.

The low power pads got a LOT of use yesterday. The kids (and adults) were flying just as many, if not more, low power rockets than mid/high power. The LPR rack was half full to nearly full every round, which was great to see. And with all the kids, it was not mayhem. They were all excited but so well behaved and not out of control. They were having a crackin time.

Honestly I cannot stress more, yesterday was one of those club launches that you remember.

Thanks so much to all the guys n gals of TWA that make it all happen.

And lets not forget that in a years time, that same crew of people will be taking on LDRS so lets make sure we all kick in, where you can, and help out in the planning, execution, and aftermath.

Sitting back and watching a lot of LPR yesterday really solidifies my decision to buy a few Park Flyers and a few LOC 1-Series and some Q-Jets. Have some fun on the cheap for when you don't want to spend time prepping and then running around tracking and hunting.

Last edited:
Like always, it was a pleasure to fly with the TWA group. Bong put on its best weather for us, and I even got my rocket out of the tree without breaking anything! Unfortunately, I'm not going to make the next launch - vacation finally after putting it off for the past two years. I'll be back just in time to make it to Airfest. Hope to see a lot of the regular TWA crowd at the rocket pasture!

@rfjustin would you mind if I borrowed a couple of the great photos you took of the Lotus 5 going up and in the tree? :D

~Dave~

Like always, it was a pleasure to fly with the TWA group. Bong put on its best weather for us, and I even got my rocket out of the tree without breaking anything! Unfortunately, I'm not going to make the next launch - vacation finally after putting it off for the past two years. I'll be back just in time to make it to Airfest. Hope to see a lot of the regular TWA crowd at the rocket pasture!

@rfjustin would you mind if I borrowed a couple of the great photos you took of the Lotus 5 going up and in the tree? :D

~Dave~
EDIT: Kind of a moot point asking considering its already on Facebook with no reference to who took the photo or provided it for you and others for free.

Photographers and videographers that share their work for free typically ask for one thing and one thing only, GIVE PROPER CREDIT

Last edited:
Back