EVENT Tripoli Wisconsin- Bong - Feb 16

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djs

Reaction score
Who will be there? I've got a few things to fly, although not sure of the full list yet.

Preliminary forecast is showing decent weather, except for being cold.

Any idea of the condition of the roads/runway there?

I have had a crazy busy 2019 so far and missed the last two TQC launches. I’m planning to attend this weekend for sure. May not be able to stay all day, but will definitely be there to fly at least one.

Any idea of the condition of the roads/runway there?

Parking Lot E is sometimes an option, if the runway is inaccessible. I kinda miss flying at that location, on occasion.

I'm planning on being there. Hoping to fly the BlackFly or DarkStar with my very first sparky motor, an H170M :)
Other rockets tagging along include my Madcow Momba, modded Big Daddy and Super Neon XL. The LOC Goblin will not be finished in time. I haven't worked on it in weeks... :(

I'm thinking Lot E. Regardless, fingers crossed for some high powered fun!

I have a nosecone I'm going to duct tape an N5600 to.. should be awesome!

I'm certainly looking forward to that!!!!

Side note: Frank posted on the TripoliWisconsin website that the launch is a GO. What Frank says is gospel. So I'll see y'all tomorrow with:

a BIG prototype on some white lightning, an old friend of mine Hot Topic on an AMW K670 Green Gorilla (I like a challenge), Bruised on a J570 for a lob shot, split fin whistler on a Kosdon I420 Fast, 4" Goblin testing out a new 36" chute, and a Leviathan trying out a new 24" chute. We'll see if we get through the pile. So much pent up AP energy to burn!!!

So I'll see y'all tomorrow with:

a BIG prototype on some white lightning, an old friend of mine Hot Topic on an AMW K670 Green Gorilla (I like a challenge), Bruised on a J570 for a lob shot, split fin whistler on a Kosdon I420 Fast, 4" Goblin testing out a new 36" chute, and a Leviathan trying out a new 24" chute. We'll see if we get through the pile. So much pent up AP energy to burn!!!

Wow, you are going to have a busy day! Speaking of Hot Topic, I believe this is from the February 2005 TQC launch :)

HotTopic5x7.jpg

Yes sir!!!

AMW K555 Skidmark; the rocket's fourth flight. Tomorrow will be flight #18 of that old bird...if I can get the Green Gorilla to light!;).

The last snow wasn't deep at the orchard. The plowing piles are quite high and the driveways are solid ice - but the open area are only a couple inches. It blew around a lot.

Alas, no LPR pads were out. And the biggest thing I brought was an E. I looked at setting up my own rod - but it turns out I had left it at home. The morning was bright and clear, though. I heard the big Saturn go up from the winery - I was outside fetching a barrel rack.

What a great day at the Bong! Huge thanks to Frank, Kevin, Bob, Randy, Peg, and Carol for running a superb launch in the dead of winter on the ICY grounds of Richard Bong Recreational Area!

Admittedly, I brought too many rockets. But I "had to" fly this rocket for that reason, and that rocket for this reason, and so on. So many thanks to all who put up with the insanity, and helped launched all those things. I snapped photos when I could, and here they are! Side note: we were blessed with Kevin Harnack's skills and abilities with his camera...he's truly an artist and a FAR BETTER photographer than I. His photos are up on the Tripoli Wisconsin website now. Check 'em out there: https://tripoliwisconsin.org/Harnack February 2019/index.html

First rack of the day. Preston, Kevin, Frank drafting Kevin...

Bruised is Barry's old Bruiser EXP...repaired and fixed up a few times. Always good for winter follies. J570W

The first three flights of the day didn't land so softly...Bruised started the trend! Justin and company: heads up and watch for that ice!;)

Peggy Unger has been a staple at TWA launches at Bong forever! At least since the late 90's. Thanks Peg for all you do! Here she is making the new Loc 7.67" Saturn V look good!

Peggy said "fly that thing" and so we did!

As mentioned previously, the first three rockets of the day had recovery issues...those chutes just didn't want to come out and play in the cold. Would the fourth rocket of the day? I hoped so!

Loc Saturn V on an Aerotech K550W. Though it has 5 holes, I thought it best to use just one for flight number one!

Chute? YES! A Kevin H. photo:

_DSC0935.jpg

Landed gently, over the river and through the woods. Winter is my FAVE time to fly at the Bong...so many less insects, killer vegetation, and mucky pond like things to deal with. Landed on the bank of a frozen swamp-lake thing...YES!

How about a few photos from Mr. Kevin H?!?!!! Kevin, thank you SO MUCH for sharing your photography efforts, my friend!!

46216646695_77d47bd368_c.jpg

46216646375_601a361753_c.jpg

46216645785_822e88ab55_c.jpg

46216645585_d5b63f7150_c.jpg

Preston N. of Top Flight Recovery fame was nice enough to hook us up with some new chute designs being tested out! My kids got in on the action. B-man flew the 4" Loc Goblin on a G69Sk with a TFR 8 panel 36" chute. Good up, good down, excellent chute!!!!

C-man was on the next pad over. Estes rocket on a Kosdon motor...yeah baby! Estes Leviathan on a Kosdon H155 Fast. Fun combo...zoom zoom!

The Leviathan descended gently under another new TFR chute, a 24" Thin Blue Line 8 panel blue and black chute. I didn't get a good photo...too high up and far away...but rest assured the chute is excellent and benefits a noble cause. See Top Flight Recovery's Facebook page to get one, and support the family of a fallen police officer with a young family...

Eric Burgess had (at least) two awesome flights on Saturday. I was out recovering in the field when the first went up...something loud and sparky in what appeared to be a 3" Punisher. Am I close, Eric??? The second flight was quite entertaining. A J415W operated outside it's normal practices, suffering a blowby, popping the nose right away, followed by some entertaining skywriting. The 4" Punisher appeared to survive without damage!

No no, the chute is supposed to be ABOVE the rocket!

That's all I've got for now. Thanks to all that came out to play. Thanks to my Dad for his help and support, Justin Griffin for flying the Mystic Buzz and taking care of the turtles, the TWA gang for putting on a great launch, Wildman for supporting our habits, and all the others. Love winter flying at Da Bong!

And if you didn't catch it earlier, go check out Kevin's work over on the Tripoli Wisconsin website. Some amazing photography AND awesome video work there!!! www.tripoliwisconsin.org

Last edited:
Great pics sir, and I thank you for putting together your debrief. Always good to see more pics and read more info after the fact. :)

Yeppers, it was a blast to watch fly.

I only got around to flying one bird, the DarkStar Jr. on an AT-H170-M.

Yo Tobor,

Adrian is rebuilding a 4" Goblin, I see you've got one, I've got one. We should drag race sometime!!!

Were you the bearded fella with the youngster alongside? I too need to meet you next time!!!

-Eric-

Great pics and summary Eric! Thanks for the action shot of my skywriting exercise... 4" Punisher came in with only a little scorch mark on the nose cone which I think looks good. My other (more successful launch) was a 3" Punisher on I327 - a great combination!

Yo Tobor,

Adrian is rebuilding a 4" Goblin, I see you've got one, I've got one. We should drag race sometime!!!

Were you the bearded fella with the youngster alongside? I too need to meet you next time!!!

-Eric-
Drag race? That would be fun!

Nope, I didn't have anyone with me. If it helps, I was the one flying the drone early on. Drove a Silver Chevy 2-Door and was wearing a U.S. Army coat.

Edit: Eric, by any chance, did you take any pics of the unpainted DarkStar Jr that fly late afternoon?

Drag race? That would be fun!

Nope, I didn't have anyone with me. If it helps, I was the one flying the drone early on. Drove a Silver Chevy 2-Door and was wearing a U.S. Army coat.

Edit: Eric, by any chance, did you take any pics of the unpainted DarkStar Jr that fly late afternoon?

Was that you that somehow got out of the ticket from the DNR cop?

Back