Tripoli Wisconsin 7/9

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djs

Reaction score
Who will be there? Apparently "IMAX" will be there taking pictures. Not sure if this is IMAX the movie company or someone else with the same name.

Unfortunately I have a personal thing, and won't be able to attend- however, CZTeacherman will be flying a J motor that I made- so I'll be there in spirit (and smoke).

I hope to be there a bit in the morning. My father's visiting and hasn't seen a club launch before.

So a few hours at Bong, then back to bottling whiskey.

Don't know what we'll fly yet. Trying to get my Ventris SLV and an Arapahoe A ready in time. Oh, and I just finished a Mercury Redstone.

I lost the steering bay and kite from my rocket ExPAC at Bong after a shock cord failure. I will pay a $150 reward to anyone who finds it. The bay and kite look like this:

IMAG0329.jpg

And I believe it followed approximately this line:

line.jpg

I walked the first 0.6 miles or so before loosing the line and veering to the right around the group of trees. I also searched the field beyond a mile out a good bit.

Last edited:
I lost the steering bay and kite from my rocket ExPAC at Bong after a shock cord failure. I will pay a $150 reward to anyone who finds it. The bay and kite look like this:

View attachment 296268

View attachment 296272

I walked the first 0.6 miles or so before loosing the line and veering to the right around the group of trees. I also searched the field beyond a mile out a good bit.

I'll lay money out landed in the swamp beyond. Mike T had a perfect line on it.

After watching the video from the nose camera I was able to determine it was in freefall for 14 second before the kite deployed and tore loose. This would put it around 2400 ft. Unfortunately the Raven altimeter was destroys so this is an estimate. I was able to remotely collapse the kite and cause it to spiral down. I am hopeful that despite the lack of weight under it it may not have drifted that far. Also the apparent size of the kite at landing was not much smaller than at deployment, hopefully indicating it was closer than the swamp.

Last edited:
Though I had it on the calendar, other commitments have me missing this launch. Have fun all, I'll miss seeing you there!:(

I picked up a few orders from the Wildman. Four, to be exact. If you're one of those four, I plan on being there around 8:30, and be there all day. Gray Ford Escape with two kids in tow. See everyone there!

Had a great time today at "The Bong" launching rockets with the TWA guys (people!)...
Thanks to Eric Cz for the use of his Jolly Logic CR, since some idiot (me!) forgot his at home... Also thanks to Eric for the I223SK in my IROC! That was cool!

Adrian

So was IMAX there? Was it the film company or something else?

There was a small crew there in the morning with a fancy camera out at one of the B pads. They launched a Wildman junior/sport/ish rocket. They said they were filming for a planetarium show at Milwaukee Public Museum.

It was a great day to fly.
I discovered two, count em, TWO separate cornfields South of the Bong. Whoa. I thought I was fancy landing in the wheat field... LoL... rough recoveries aside, it was a gorgeous day with tons of great flights. Had some great grub and a good time with friends.
Launched the big Demon and the little Demon to 4600 & 4300, respectively, at the same time. That was cool. Launched djs' first Pitch Black motor with great results.
Then launched a bunch of Estes with my daughter.
Near perfect launch day!

Nice video Charles. On my Estes rockets, I put a folded up piece of electrical tape under the camera to cant the camera away from the body. This gives you more "view" and less "rocket".

It was a fun time yesterday. A little windy for part of the day. I got to see Paul Yarnold before he moves to CA. He will be missed at the TWA launches. Hated to leave my Wild Child hanging in the tree tops.

It was a fun time yesterday. A little windy for part of the day. I got to see Paul Yarnold before he moves to CA. He will be missed at the TWA launches. Hated to leave my Wild Child hanging in the tree tops.

Couldn't get that bugger down with the poles, Gary? Sorry to hear that.

Adrian

Adrian we could not reach the chute and nose cone. Plus we looked very hard and just couldn't see the booster. It was all together on decent well down into the tree line. I used 1/8" Kevlar for the shock cord plus it was its 1st flight. Who would think you could loose a rocket with a tracker flying on an F50.

Time for another build.

Who would think you could loose a rocket with a tracker flying on an F50..

Gary- can you indicate on a map where you think the rocket is? I'll be out at the Woosh launch in 2 weeks, and can make an attempt to get it down for ya. Will also look for the booster.

I think its all together but booster is painted yellow with grey fin can. Its almost straight South from where the registration tent is set up for WOOSH. Its in the woods about 20' from the corn field. Their is a park service road back there. Preston has red duck tape on a tree limb which is almost hanging on the road. From the red tape its straight South about 40' into the woods. Pink chute hanging up near top of the tree.

Which side of the river/stream is it on? Towards the launch site, or on the side of the farm field?

Gary- I'll see if Mike T wants to help go get it for ya at the Woosh launch. Maybe it'll blow down between now and then.

I was not able to make the launch this weekend, which was unfortunate. Your line in question points to the west, is that correct? I thought a lot of other flights were landing to the south, not the west, just want to make sure. The Sunset campground is just past your 1.19 mile marker to the west. If you have not already, make the park rangers aware of what is missing in case anyone runs across it near the campground and turned it in.

This was lost a few weeks back at woosh and the line is correct. I filled a report with the park lost and found

Ravenex- I'll try looking for it as well at the next woosh launch. Hopefully it turns up, as I know you've put a lot of time and money into your ExPac rocket.

I remember that flight, the wind shifted a bit in the afternoon so that line looks about right. my last flight landed on that line and yours was after mine.
Rex
edit
start at the pad area and head for the away cell and keep going :), good luck.

All:

Will confirm that it was a great launch. My highlight was my Research M "$88.13", 42lbs up to 5826' on a research M1110. Landed over by the ATV track to the great reaction of the ATV driver's who saw it come down and didn't expect it to be "that big." On the other hand, we to lost a rocket over to the south, possibly into the wheat field south of the park, although we didn't think it went that far. It's a 3" diameter, 6' tall rocket painted black and gold with a Pro29 4 grain case. I can't get back out to the Bong until the late August WOOSH launch, so if anyone from TriWisc or WOOSH encounters it while hunting other lost rockets, I'd appreciate a PM or just storage in the club trailer.

Thanks!

George Pike
TRA 10752 L3

All:

Will confirm that it was a great launch. My highlight was my Research M "$88.13", 42lbs up to 5826' on a research M1110. Landed over by the ATV track to the great reaction of the ATV driver's who saw it come down and didn't expect it to be "that big." On the other hand, we to lost a rocket over to the south, possibly into the wheat field south of the park, although we didn't think it went that far. It's a 3" diameter, 6' tall rocket painted black and gold with a Pro29 4 grain case. I can't get back out to the Bong until the late August WOOSH launch, so if anyone from TriWisc or WOOSH encounters it while hunting other lost rockets, I'd appreciate a PM or just storage in the club trailer.

Thanks!

George Pike
TRA 10752 L3

George, I'm always up for helping to hunt rockets. If you're ever having trouble finding rockets at Bong, lemme know. I know the south of Bong really really well. For some reason all of mine go that way, it seems.

Back