Tripoli vs NAR?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Steve Shannon

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Wouldn't Midwest Power qualify as a joint event since QCRC is both a NAR Section and a TRA Prefecture?
Many of our large events are hosted by clubs that are both Tripoli Prefectures and NAR Sections, but that’s not quite he same as having the national/international leadership of the NAR and Tripoli throw their support an a very inclusive event intended to highlight our unity. Because both of our organizations have been faced with an unprecedented shutdown, not just in scope but also in elapsed time, I could understand wanting to do this as a celebration. Maybe CAR would want to participate also.
Boatgeek’s point about volunteers taking it and running with it is spot on, and would be the most straightforward way to convince our boards.

Richard Dierking

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I know what you mean about the need for participation first, because I have heard this often. But, I think that this also could be a defense mechanism for new ideas. Unintended mostly. It's like, if you come up with something new, well, you are doing it. So, better keep quiet. Do you know what I mean?
On the other hand, putting something forward that you and the Board (I guess it's Boards this time) think is valuable, then developing the means is part of what leadership is about.

Steve Shannon

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I know what you mean about the need for participation first, because I have heard this often. But, I think that this also could be a defense mechanism for new ideas. Unintended mostly. It's like, if you come up with something new, well, you are doing it. So, better keep quiet. Do you know what I mean?
On the other hand, putting something forward that you and the Board (I guess it's Boards this time) think is valuable, then developing the means is part of what leadership is about.
That’s the challenge, convincing two independent boards that there’s merit to adding a sixth national event with the added complexity of coordinating two organizations. Leadership also sometimes means accepting that not everyone sees things my way and that’s actually an organizational strength and not a weakness.

Richard Dierking

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Sure, I see what you mean Steve. I appreciate you listening (this and many other threads) and providing your experience and opinion. It helps us and we appreciate the time you spend on RF.

It is kind of an interesting situation. People elect Board members based on their expectations for their organization. Here you would have two different Boards representing their members. How would they work this out, and what would it turn out to be?
Anyway, I think there would be enough interest, and maybe just curiosity to motivate people to participate.

Personally, I've never been happier being a member of both organizations. I would always suggest being a member of both if you can.

Steve Shannon

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Sure, I see what you mean Steve. I appreciate you listening (this and many other threads) and providing your experience and opinion. It helps us and we appreciate the time you spend on RF.

It is kind of an interesting situation. People elect Board members based on their expectations for their organization. Here you would have two different Boards representing their members. How would they work this out, and what would it turn out to be?
Anyway, I think there would be enough interest, and maybe just curiosity to motivate people to participate.

Personally, I've never been happier being a member of both organizations. I would always suggest being a member of both if you can.
Please also keep in mind that something like this is more of marathon than a sprint. It would take a year probably to put together. Even if both boards decided this was a wonderful idea that’s just the very tip of the iceberg. Then we would have to find multiple clubs interested in working together to actually put it all together with the newly added complexity of cooperation between NAR and Tripoli members. Unfortunately, not everyone has forgiven and forgotten past differences. National events are immense investments of time, people, and money for one organization, let alone two.
I haven’t given up, but this can only be fun if everyone is more patient than usual.

Richard Dierking

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
In the age of C19 patience is one of the pillars of success!
Yes, we understand; a long road.
I suggest that, when you have significant news, that it be posted on a new thread. Perhaps under National events, as a potential national event?

Steve Shannon

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
In the age of C19 patience is one of the pillars of success!
Yes, we understand; a long road.
I suggest that, when you have significant news, that it be posted on a new thread. Perhaps under National events, as a potential national event?
Yes, that seems reasonable, although I’m sure such a thing would be fairly boisterously announced many other places as well. It would be announced in the Tripoli forum and NAR website first, followed by our official Facebook groups, our official Twitter feed, and our official Instagram account. At about that same time it would be announced in the national events forum here. 😁