Tripoli Vegas Octoberfest

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there attendance limit or sign up sheet?
I wouldn’t worry about that too much, it’s finding the launch site that’s a problem. The directions to Jean dry lake is explained like a treasure map on the Tripoli Vegas webpage

Attachments

• 49E04D7B-FE90-4FDE-AEAF-B69C6E098270.png
    49E04D7B-FE90-4FDE-AEAF-B69C6E098270.png
    423 KB · Views: 33
  • 873978DA-5F67-4E1D-A5B5-F973DF7EB12D.png
    873978DA-5F67-4E1D-A5B5-F973DF7EB12D.png
    485.4 KB · Views: 31
Just so everybody knows, there is a truck stop motel just south of the lake with reasonable rates. Hopefully I can make this as my first launch for 2020. It’s been a long dry spell this summer for HPR. These chaps are a great group to fly with! Come and make some new friends.

I wouldn’t worry about that too much, it’s finding the launch site that’s a problem. The directions to Jean dry lake is explained like a treasure map on the Tripoli Vegas webpage
Plenty of info to find the launch site. Most folks have no trouble at all.

Plenty of info to find the launch site. Most folks have no trouble at all.
Off course if you have been out there before you will not have any problem finding it. For the “folks” myself being one of those “folks” who have not been out there before, you better know where you are going because you do not have any signal from your phone. I thought my navigational skills were up to par, unfortunately they weren’t or else I would have been there.
Oh well, it is what it is. There’s always Ockoberfest

you can download the map before getting to the area (google maps , makes it easier to get there, there is cell phone coverage near the road close to the lakebed (can confirm T-Mobile works there). Took it easy and was able to follow the directions

This is where you turn to access the road that goes by the lakebed from Vegas Blvd

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.827...4!1sgyXnk7Qvl52RKuaV-5cdwQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
And turn here to access the lakebed

https://www.google.com/maps/place/3...1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d35.7888411!4d-115.2780854
This is about where the launch was setup this past weekend.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/3...1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d35.7899252!4d-115.2504941
They will have porta-potties setup for the October launch

When driving on the lakebed, just go slow to avoid old campfires (pallets = nails) - burn barrels are ok from what i understand. Lakebed is in great condition, won't get stuck if you stay on the flat area.

Camped on friday night, one can see the glow of the vegas lights, great place, only thing missing is a big X carved on the lakebed to go with the pirate motif of the club.

Sounds like you’ve been there before. I took Lightweight rd and started going around the backside of the bed. I probably was almost there before I decided to turn around and go back to Las Vegas Blvd and go down further. That’s Probably when I passed the actual turnoff not even knowing it.
Its no ones fault but my own.
I’m just pissed off
drove all that way and came up empty handed.

FYI - appears as if the Gold Strike or Terrible's Road House or whatever it's called is Temporarily Closed.
Jean Dry Lake Bed is still calling us westward ho. Moto-Joe Inc is planning on being there, bringing our little store trailer. If there's something bigger than 54's you're looking for, let us know - they don't fit in that tiny green box on wheels..

FYI - appears as if the Gold Strike or Terrible's Road House or whatever it's called is Temporarily Closed.
Jean Dry Lake Bed is still calling us westward ho. Moto-Joe Inc is planning on being there, bringing our little store trailer. If there's something bigger than 54's you're looking for, let us know - they don't fit in that tiny green box on wheels..
I’m going to take my L1 certification there. I’m pretty confident I’ll pass if I can find the dang place haha.
I hope you come stocked up because I plan on buying a lot of 38 mm.

I took the wrong path and drove for about ten maybe fifteen minutes which felt like an hour before I decided to turn around. I’m not even sure if I could have made it to the launch site if I would have stayed on that road.

Attachments

• FEEBD1DA-9535-4C13-B083-CBB87E5EE9EC.png
    FEEBD1DA-9535-4C13-B083-CBB87E5EE9EC.png
    557.4 KB · Views: 18
I took the wrong path and drove for about ten maybe fifteen minutes which felt like an hour before I decided to turn around. I’m not even sure if I could have made it to the launch site if I would have stayed on that road.
I arrive from the south, so once I'm on Las Vegas blvd I just know that turnoff is right after I go under the railroad tracks. From there it's just matter of getting one of the dirt roads that go into the lake. I believe the best one is down a ways.

Sorry if this has been discussed... the Wavier is 4,700.... should i not bring larger motor/rocket that would fly over 4,700? Is possible to get a call in window for ~8K?

Attachments

• 8B49F369-0DE7-4EFA-BB31-EFFBC1E402ED.png
    8B49F369-0DE7-4EFA-BB31-EFFBC1E402ED.png
    526.3 KB · Views: 26
Sorry if this has been discussed... the Wavier is 4,700.... should i not bring larger motor/rocket that would fly over 4,700? Is possible to get a call in window for ~8K?
As stated on the website call in windows to 15200 AGL are available.

Back