Tripoli Tampa Launch Announcement! May 17th!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rejma0415

Reaction score
Come join us for our second official launch at the new field!

Highlights:
Jim Harris from Gorilla Motors will be demo’ing a 75mm L (red or green, hasn’t decided yet) motor in Randy’s newest rocket, “Merlin”, a 10 foot tall metallic purple monster. He also has some other tricks up his sleeve for us to see. I’m sure someone will Guinea Pig his trusty propellant in their rockets!
Randy’s gonna try for a mile again in his NASA decorated extended LOC Magnum on a L1100 Red Rhino.
Team Gold Rush, aka the Sapp Boys, will be busting out their Estes Blast off pack in each of their new creations till the cows come home.
Robert Synoski and Johnnie Mack did some damage to their credit cards buying motors so who knows what is gonna happen there!

THOR made a visit last time and we were glad to have them come. Hopefully they come again and bring much to fly!

Welcome!
Have an Estes Rocket? Have a mid power Aerotech rocket? Or how bout a big burly high power rocket with an M motor?* We have two words for you:
BRING IT! FLY IT! (OK that was four words but you get the idea). Come enjoy the fun!* Bring a friend, get them started, once they see it they will be hooked!
Not certified to fly high power yet? Have no idea what we're talking about?
COME ANYWAY! Bring a camera, video camera, take pictures, have fun! Don't stay home and play with your Nintendo Wii!
O.K. On to the formal announcement. Ahem {clearing my throat to sound serious}
"Our second launch at our new field will be Saturday, May 17th at Varn Ranch in Plant City, Florida."
We will have Estes pads up to high power with rails.
Our waiver is 12,000' AGL from 9 AM to 6 PM. Yes, you heard it right, over two miles.. Big dogs: Show us whatcha got!
COST: $10 for*high power flyers,*$5 for low*power (G motors and under).**This is NOT a moneymaking endeavor, the launch dues go to the landowner for use of the field.* Spectators are free but there will be a donation jar at the registration table.* We appreciate the kind of money that jingles but we need the kind that folds. :)
RULES: We got 'em, and the quickest way to lose this site and ruin it for everybody*is to break one of the first three. It's a mixture of common courtesy and common sense, so, ready? Here we go:
COWS: Don't touch 'em,*pet 'em, chase 'em, feed 'em, scare 'em, cook 'em.* In other words THEY DON'T EXIST.
TRASH: We have a strict policy of*LEAVE THE LAND THE WAY YOU FOUND IT, no excuses, no exceptions. Not even a cigarette butt.* Bring your own garbage bag please. If you see trash, even if it is not yours, please take the initiative and pick it up?
GATE: Close it when you drive through, otherwise one of the cows that don't exist will escape. The landowner is quite serious about this.
CARS: The speed limit is "SLOW", watch your dust, no driving past the flight line, EVER, unless given special permission by the RSO.* We will have an ATV for rocket recovery.* Remember, we are walking and driving all over the non existent cow's food (we call it grass). Let's take care of it and be respectful.
FOOD: No onsite food vendor yet, so pack a lunch, bring plenty of water and sunblock, the only red we wanna see is rocket exhaust.
FACILITIES:* No porta pottie yet, we're working on it, but the landowner says we can use the outhouses on the property, (both HIS and HERS).
VENDORS:* There will be a high power motor vendor here for starters. Thank you Jim!* www.gorillarocketmotors.com
Directions and questions?*Know someone who wants to be on the mailing list for future announcements?
See the website:* www.ttra.ws
New to rocketry?
www.nar.org
www.tripoli.org
Local places to get stuff:
Charlie's Hobbies
7530 W. Waters Ave. Suite K
Tampa, FL
813-882-4007
As of 4/12 this store has good stock of*motors (even E's).
HobbyTown USA
11727 North Dale Mabry Hwy
Tampa, FL 33618
813-964-5447
[email protected]
www.htubrandon.com
www.hobbytown.com
Good supply of rockets and motors, carries hobby line and mid power Aerotech motors and kits. Eddie says they will special order.

Also, Michael’s Arts and Crafts on Bruce B. Downs just north of I-75 has good stock on Estes!
This will get ya piqued:
Model Rocketry:
www.estesrockets.com
www.apogeerockets.com
Mid Power Rocketry:
www.aerotech-rocketry.com
High Power Rocketry:
www.publicmissiles.com
All three:
www.locprecision.com
See you there!
Sign up or ask to be removed (heavens no!)*from the mail list by sending requests to [email protected]*.
Randall J. Ejma
NAR 80139 L3
TRA 9577 L3
[email protected]

Had a great time at Tripoli Tampa yesterday! Many thanks
the everyone in the club for their efforts to locate and secure
the new field! Looks like you've got a winner here!

I will be returning!

Had a great time at Tripoli Tampa yesterday! Many thanks
the everyone in the club for their efforts to locate and secure
the new field! Looks like you've got a winner here!

I will be returning!

Yep...I'm envious and have instant Tampa homesickness. You know, had the TTRA site been available before I moved up here it would have been a serious consideration for staying in Florida. Brian, you're killin' me up here - where are the pictures?! ;)

Brian, you're killin' me up here - where are the pictures?! ;)
Maybe next time...

I went to check things out and FLY. I realized a launch or two
ago, that I hadn't flown much MPR in a long time. So that's what I
took along (besides TTRA currently lacks Hybrid GSE). And I forgot
the camera in the process...

Flew my BARnone on a G71 Redline- first time using that motor,
very cool! Got my Shrox X15 stuck 40 feet up the top of a
clump of trees with an F21. Incentive to go back next month.

I also flew my 1/3 =scale= IQSY Tomahawk on an CTI H153.
The 48" Spherachute was a bit large for the winds and I had a
bit of a walk. But I need the exercise. ;)

I know Jim Harris was clickin' away, so maybe he'll have something
posted on the Gorilla and/or TTRA sites.

There are a few up on https://www.ttra.ws now. I'm still waiting to get pictures from Jim.

Looks like a tremendous field to fly on especially with a 12k' waiver. I remember when you guys had set up for an expo at the now defunct Hobbies 24/7. It's still hard to believe TTRA hung in there through all those years of inactivity. Thanks for the link to the pics. I wish I was in Tampa to enjoy the fun. :cry:

Yea,

Big thanks to TTRA guys for a great launch,
and Jim Harris of Gorilla Motors for being the onsite
vendor, I was finally able to break a mile (5564') with
his intense red K520 Red Twister 54/1400 reload,
and punched the same 130 oz. bird up to 1550' with
his 38mm 5-grain I320 Red Twister demo.

Hope to make it in 2-3 months again as my work schedule
is still on the 'slightly hectic' side, aka ~80hrs a week...

It's an awesome field guys, methinks I can
tickle the 12K waiver under good conditions,
come check it out....

Huh ?

They don't ?!?
:p

BTW, I broke my personal record and a mile with
Valkyrie3 on Gorilla K520 Red Twister - 5564'....

Jim Harris of Gorilla Motors makes awesome stuff...

Back